Czech-Roma association calls for Romani people to counter-protest anti-Romani marches
On 20 July the Konexe association issued the following call to all Romani people in the Czech Republic out of concern over the violent anti-Romani marches planned to take place throughout the country. News server Romea.cz publishes it here in full translation:
Roma, come out to the marches!
The situation is bad. Anti-Romani demonstrations and marches are taking place almost every weekend.
Racists are marching on Romani homes, doing their best to terrorize Romani people, and are committing violence against them. Romani children in the towns where these marches take place are the ones who suffer the most.
These demonstrations and marches are so terrifying for these children that the experience can have long-term repercussions for them. Something must be done!
This must stop! Roma, start helping one another!
Come assist other Roma in the towns where these anti-Romani demonstrations and marches are taking place. The local Romani residents need your help.
The number of Roma at these anti-Romani demonstrations matters. It matters whether there are 500 racists and 50 terrified Roma, or 500 racists and 1 000 Roma standing together.
The chance that attacks and violence will be committed against Romani people is much less when there are more of you. The racists traditionally only have courage when their numbers are larger.
Roma, keep your wits about you, start doing something about this before it's too late. Next time the anti-Romani march could be in front of your own home.
Racists have planned many anti-Romani marches for next month. They intend to march in Brno, České Budějovice, Duchcov, Krupka, Ostrava, Ústí nad Labem, and in Vítkov, where four years ago they set little Natálka Kudriková on fire.
This will be a difficult test for all of us. Come help your brothers and sisters! Be prepared.
Opre Roma – akana hin oda čiro!
- Hungarian PM announces "national consultation" about whether to compensate Romani families whose children were educated in segregated settings
- Another victim of the German terrorist attack, a young man from Romania, is also from the Roma minority
- Czech Police investigating racist video posted by fanclub of ultranationalist party
- German Interior Minister: Hanau terrorist attack motivated by racism, neo-Nazis have attacked three times in just a few months
- Young Romani woman was a victim of German shooting spree
- German shooting spree is being investigated as a terrorist attack
- Czech Police arrest opponents of new ombudsman who blockaded his access to the office on his first day
- Germany: Anti-migrant xenophobic gunman kills 11 in horrifying spree, he and his mother then found dead
- Video footage surfaces of Slovak politician bragging about throwing Romani people into a river when he was younger
- MEPs condemn rise of antisemitism in Europe, Czech MEP defends Hungary, blames migration
- Chair of Czech right-wing extremist party exultant over appointment of new ombudsman
- Grandson of Holocaust survivor says he experiences racism on a daily basis in the Czech Republic