Czech-Roma association calls for Romani people to counter-protest anti-Romani marches
On 20 July the Konexe association issued the following call to all Romani people in the Czech Republic out of concern over the violent anti-Romani marches planned to take place throughout the country. News server Romea.cz publishes it here in full translation:
Roma, come out to the marches!
The situation is bad. Anti-Romani demonstrations and marches are taking place almost every weekend.
Racists are marching on Romani homes, doing their best to terrorize Romani people, and are committing violence against them. Romani children in the towns where these marches take place are the ones who suffer the most.
These demonstrations and marches are so terrifying for these children that the experience can have long-term repercussions for them. Something must be done!
This must stop! Roma, start helping one another!
Come assist other Roma in the towns where these anti-Romani demonstrations and marches are taking place. The local Romani residents need your help.
The number of Roma at these anti-Romani demonstrations matters. It matters whether there are 500 racists and 50 terrified Roma, or 500 racists and 1 000 Roma standing together.
The chance that attacks and violence will be committed against Romani people is much less when there are more of you. The racists traditionally only have courage when their numbers are larger.
Roma, keep your wits about you, start doing something about this before it's too late. Next time the anti-Romani march could be in front of your own home.
Racists have planned many anti-Romani marches for next month. They intend to march in Brno, České Budějovice, Duchcov, Krupka, Ostrava, Ústí nad Labem, and in Vítkov, where four years ago they set little Natálka Kudriková on fire.
This will be a difficult test for all of us. Come help your brothers and sisters! Be prepared.
Opre Roma – akana hin oda čiro!
- Czech Police say man and woman who committed racist attack against Romani children should be prosecuted
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová has breakfast with Romani students
- Czech court overturns acquittal for author of racist online comments, prosecution will continue
- German media report that attacks on immigrants last year in Chemnitz were planned by the radical right
- Slovak MP insulted Romani people and spread xenophobia, loses his seat after being convicted of felony defamation
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- Germany: 9.5 year sentence for murder that sparked demonstrations last year, convicted suspect insists he did not do it
- Commentary: Czech Interior Ministry is realizing ultra-nationalist politician is becoming a monster
- European Roma Rights Centre gives legal aid to victims alleging Slovak police brutality
- VIDEO: Ostentatious homes built by Roma community in Romania reflect their desire for prestige
- Czech man who gave Nazi salute at ultra-nationalist rally gets fine and suspended sentence, appeals
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests