Czech social media response to tornado includes antigypsyist rushes to judgment about Romani workers
Czech-language users of the Facebook social network have begun sharing a photograph from the Moravian municipality of Pánov that claims to identify Romani community members who allegedly cheated an older couple who have been afflicted by the recent destructive tornado in the region. The post also alleges the Romani community members then robbed a residential hotel in the area.
None of those allegations are true and the person who uploaded the photograph to the Internet along with the untrue description of its content has apologized for publishing it. "Good evening, I would like to officially apologize to the Holub stav firm for the post I made here about their taking a deposit from people in Pánov and leaving without doing any work. Today I've learned that the firm was pre-ordered, as was the deposit, but that the owners of the property themselves sent the workers away without allowing them to finish the work. It seems the information I received was quite distorted. They also never robbed a residential hotel. Once again, I deeply apologize," the Facebook user who started the rumor posted on 7 July (a screenshot of the post can be seen here).
Despite this retraction, the photograph and the untrue information about those depicted in it continue to be shared on Facebook. A different Facebook user has now added more untruths to the original post, writing: "Look out for these crooks posting as a construction firm. In Pánov on Saturday they took a deposit of about CZK 20 000 [EUR 780] for masonry work from an older couple. All day they just pretended to work and at the close of the day they came to the owners with an invoice ready for CZK 70 000 [EUR 2 730]. Before the locals could call the police, these guys had removed the firm's logo from their car and driven off to rob a residential hotel. They were in a black Audi A6. The matter has been reported to the Police of the Czech Republic along with the license plate number."
- Dozens of Roma protest in front of restaurant in Czech town after food server allegedly assaults a Romani woman, police are investigating
- Czech MP alleges during parliamentary debate on welfare bill that incest is part of Romani culture, open racism on the floor of the lower house
- Assembly against discrimination and racism in Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic attended mostly by Romani people
- Czech tornado has left many homeless, including Romani widow with six children
- Czech Republic tornado aftermath: How to donate to the communities affected
- Romani man dies after Czech Police kneel on his neck, they say drugs caused his death. Romani activists see parallels to George Floyd
- Their mother almost died of COVID-19, but brothers in Czech Republic believe they have since convinced hundreds in their family to get vaccinated
- Court in the Netherlands orders far-right politician to delete tweets comparing those avoiding the COVID-19 vaccine to Jews during the Holocaust
- Patrik Banga: Who will be to blame for the Romani victims of COVID-19 in the Czech Republic?
- Facebook users including Romani community in Czech Republic falling for Canadian HOAX about alleged arrest of pharma exec
- Czech DISINFORMATION: Alleged "Nurse from a Brno ICU" railing against vaccination, Petra Fajmonová Rédová, is not employed by any hospital in Brno
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- Online response to Stanislav Tomáš's death includes hoaxes shared in the Czech Romani community
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Commentary: Czech PM fishing for votes in a racist/xenophobic pond
- Local Communist Party cell in Czech Republic posts antigypsyist defamation to official website, party apologizes
- ROMEA TV program discusses current COVID-19 disinformation and hoaxes on the Czech Internet
- Czech lower house supports first reading of bill to criminalize deletion of vulgar posts from social media