Czech sociologist: We must face down xenophobia by supporting those who are intimidated
Former Czech MP Ivan Gabal, who is also a well-known sociologist, has been interviewed by the Czech online broadcaster DVTV, describing to reporter Martin Veselovský why he decided to initiate the fundraising drive in support of the Romani and other children at a school in Teplice who were recently attacked online - "THEY WANT TO GAS THEM, WE WANT TO SEND THEM TO SCHOOL!" ("ONI JE DO PLYNU. MY JE DO ŠKOL!").
Gabal said he believes it is important to support children and their parents when they become the targets of xenophobic attacks. "We must face this down by supporting those who are endangered, those who are being intimidated, and now we must demonstrate that there is no reason for them to be afraid," Gabal said in the interview.
In his view, the money itself is not as important for the school as the moral support it represents, which the principal can convey to both the children and their parents. "All of us are parents, so you all know what it feels like if somebody begins to intimidate your child," the sociologist said.
Gabal reminded viewers that politicians bear responsibility for divisions in society. "If, in this situation, we elect a politician to head this state who will divide us further, who will spark fear or will denigrate people because of their ethnicity, or because they are long-settled foreign nationals in our country, then we ourselves will live in fear - some people will fear humiliation, others will flee the country, and everybody will withdraw from the public arena," Gabal said in the DVTV interview.
"Czech society is, in comparison with Poland or Hungary, for example, not very antisemitic at all, not anti-Jewish," Gabal said. "However, it is clear to see that if you begin to play politics with this, as the SPD has begun to do - because this is especially about their backers - then it can escalate to a level where actually people begin to call for children to be sent to gas chambers, whether they are Romani or Jewish."
- Czech pop music contest says fans of xenophobic band have broken their rules
- Czech sociologist: Racist online calls to gas children are unacceptable
- Another Czech-language Internet hoax gives false, sectarian, xenophobic interpretation to video of riot
- Czech "November Challenge" against racism and xenophobia responds to online racist death threats against children and more
- Declaration against xenophobia signed by 15 prominent figures in Czech town of Liberec
- Czech sociologists: Economic crisis contributed to rising exclusion, but society is mainly to blame
- Czech Defense Minister unshaken by poll revealing extremism in the Army, sociologist says it reflects society
- Sociologist says Czech Republic is creating two states, an impoverished north and a wealthy center and south
- Czech sociologist says attending "practical school" reduces employability by half
- Czech sociologist on what the Czech EdMin needs to learn
- Czech sociologist hopes "war of nerves" before elections does not result in violence
- Interview with sociologist Ivan Gabal on the human rights situation in the Czech Republic
- Gabal: Attack in Ostrava was evidently the work of extremists
- TODAY!!! Romani people to demonstrate against racism on 17 March in Prague's Klárov Park
- Slovak ultra-right MP tried for extremism after making xenophobic remarks about Roma
- Czech memorial to Romani genocide desecrated with pig's head
- Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
- Czech MP spreads disinformation alleging that Florida school shooter was an Antifa member
- Czech police officer who brutally assaulted Romani workers now on trial
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister says the entire country should campaign against denial of Romani genocide
- Patrik Banga: How can people in the Czech Republic write about reviving the concentration camps?
- Live online press conference 11 AM TODAY: Czech school targeted by racists hosts fundraisers from "THEY WANT TO GAS THEM, WE WANT TO SEND THEM TO SCHOOL!"
- Czech citizens file crime report over MP's remarks denying the suffering of Romani genocide victims
- Czech Police investigating three suspects over death threats against first-graders
- New Zealand grants asylum to family from Czech Republic with non-Romani and Romani members because of neo-Nazi death threats
Tags:Děti, Gabal Ivan, Racism, Teplice
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.