Czech tabloid apologizes for fake news report claiming video from Chile was from Ostrava
The Editor-in-Chief of the tabloid news server Expres.cz, Petr Konečný, apologized on 18 July for publishing an untrue news item about the theft of a television from a hospital waiting room. The tabloid alleged on 16 July that a video of such an incident in San Pedro de la Paz, Chile was from the Czech city of Ostrava.
Czech-language Internet users assumed in their online discussions of the incident that the theft had been perpetrated by Romani people. News server Romea.cz reported on the issue on 17 July.
"The editors of Expres.cz apologize to readers for the erroneous information presented in Monday's article headlined 'Dad steals a television, Mom stands guard and their child watches. This video from Ostrava will knock you off your feet', which discussed the theft of a television from a doctor's waiting room," Konečný posted on 18 July. "The article featured inaccurate fact-checking and the editors of Express erroneously stated that video footage from a CCTV camera came from a hospital in Ostrava when it actually was a viral video originating in Chile. We apologize to all of our readers for this error and for our lack of professionalism."
The video first began to spread in the Czech-language environment of online social networks when it was noticed by editor Ctibor Jarkuliš of Expres.cz. "Are you amazed by how far human impertinence can go? You don't have to go far to find it, just to northern Moravia. In a hospital in Ostrava this little family is stealing a television set directly from the waiting room and their young child is watching. Everybody has their own ideas about child-rearing," read his introduction to the news item.
The fact is that the video is from Chile. The theft happened in San Pedro de la Paz and police apprehended the perpetraor there long ago.
Chilean media reported on the case and the arrest of the thief, Marcelo Abarzúa Cares (age 31) in mid-June. When links to the Chilean media reports began to be posted to the discussion online beneath the Czech article, the editor began to adjust the wording before the piece was removed from the web altogther, but one version remains stored in the memory of the Google search engine.
Through online social networks in the Czech-langauge environment, however, the video has already been viewed more than one million times. Czech Internet users apparently believe the perpetrators of the theft are a Romani family.
- Czech tabloid fraudulently tells readers CCTV footage of theft in Chile was from Ostrava - antigypsyism is the response
- Czech tabloid falls for journalists' trap, publishes absurd conspiracies and fake news without fact-checking
- Czech MEP responds to antigypsyism at the European Parliament: Roma are underrepresented and positive examples should be highlighted
- Czech tabloid uses old video from French taxi drivers' protest, claims it is of current protests by immigrants
- Commentary: Czech tabloid continues its anti-inclusion campaign
- Tabloid interview with son of former Czech President about inclusive education features untruths
- Tomáš Ščuka on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: We do not support antigypsyism and we insist on objectivity!
- Alliance against Antigypsyism: Antigypsyism is a major obstacle to equal citizenship for Romani people
- Czech Civic Democrats may exclude member who called Meghan Markle a "gypsy"
- Czech politician not to be compensated over nickname, courts say reasonable use of it is allowed
- Czech prosecutors announce first indictment in case of online hate speech against first-graders
- MEP Soraya Post for ROMEA TV: Antigypsyism exists everywhere in Europe
- Roma Week at the European Parliament: 40 young Roma discuss antigypsyism with MEPs
- Ukraine: Video of pogrom against Roma shows neo-Nazis chasing children, throwing rocks at them and using tear gas
- Germany: 750 neo-Nazis celebrate Hitler's birthday, police confiscate their materials
- Alliance against Antigypsyism: EU Roma Week is an opportunity to focus on tackling antigypsyism in Europe
- VIDEO: First-instance verdict in the Chomutov shooting case - 12.5 years
- BREAKING NEWS: Czech shooter of Romani man gets 12.5 years in prison
- Czech Police arrest two Romani men for attack on police, confirm media exaggerated the incident
- Czech media again exaggerate assault incident, promote antigypsyist stereotypes
Tags:Hoax, Média, Racism, antigypsyism
Pre peskere pindre: Romani leaders in Czech Republic learn how to avoid financial transactions with those who humiliate Roma10.5.2018 8:56
Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?9.5.2018 6:55
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.