Czech tabloid asks singers about photo of them giving the Nazi salute
The Sunday edition of the Blesk tabloid in the Czech Republic reports that it has managed to acquire photographs of the stars who hosted this year's "Český slavík" (Czech Nightingale) awards ceremony, Lucie Bílá (46) and Daniel Landa (44), giving the Nazi salute. The snapshot is said to be an unaltered original and can be seen at http://www.blesk.cz/clanek/celebrity/186516/lucie-bila-a-daniel-landa-proc-jsme-hajlovali.html
The photograph was taken at a private party backstage at the musical "Dracula" in 1995. "Yes, that's me," Bílá unwillingly admitted when asked whether the person in the photograph was her double. "That's a rehearsal with Daniel Landa. In the theater you act everything, even monstrous things like that."
What was the name of the play concerned? "It's not important what the play was, because nothing like it ever made it onstage. My political ideas and social sensibilities are clear and stronger than anything else," Bílá explained. "I don't understand the motivation of the person who gave you that photo. We are living in a strange time."
Daniel Landa, however, gave a bit of a different explanation. "That photo is from a time when I was lobbying against the fascists, I was a member of the Calixtines and a member of the Patriotic League," he told Blesk's Sunday edition.
"The Patriotic League clearly declared its anti-fascist position. This is a provocation, we were messing around because someone asked us to. It's just a drunken party, having fun at Dracula," Landa recalled.
Some observers have called Landa a follower of neo-Nazism. In the lyrics he authored for the band Orlík, ideas bordering on racism appeared frequently. Today Landa sharply distances himself from that discourse.
The Sunday edition of Blesk closes its article with a section entitled "What is fascism?" The answer: "A wrong-headed totalitarian idea stemming from nationalism and in some cases racism. The most famous representatives of fascism are Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini. Today fascism often overlaps with neo-Nazism."
- Czech principal says politicians forgot about her school after death threats were made against it last year
- Czech town sees low turnout for 10th anniversary of anti-Romani pogrom, Romani people light candles for the police officers injured that day
- Czech prosecutor to review police decision not to charge politicians over remarks about Romani genocide site
- Czech ultra-right extremists plan to commemorate 10th anniversary of their attempted pogrom on Romani people
- Commentary: Actual risk now exists that deniers of the Holocaust of the Roma could join the Czech Government
- Czech Constitutional Court receives complaint about election campaign, proposals for "fertilization" of "gypsies" recur in local media discussion
- Czech trial of racist assault on Prague tram: Eyewitnesses can still come forward, next hearing in January
- Slovak Foreign Minister expresses gratitude to the EU for peace and security, warns against hateful ideologies
- USA: Neo-Nazi leader recently arrested upon returning from Mexico
- Live online broadcast TODAY of benefit concert in Prague to support Romani accident victim's medical treatment
- Czech Internet users celebrate the deaths of migrant children in Turkey
- Czech Police do not find politicians' remarks about Romani genocide site to have been criminal
Tags:Aktuality, Hudba, Nacionalismus, nacistické symboly, Czech republic, Extremism, Neo-Nazism
Czech court finds author of death threats against human rights defenders committed a politically-motivated hate crime14.11.2018 8:46
Czech archaeological samples yet to find exact location of victims' mass grave at Romani genocide site12.11.2018 18:07
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.