Czech teachers can invite performances from "You, Me and Them - theater as a forum against prejudice" to their schools
"You, Me and Them - theater as a forum against prejudice" is a joint project of the Antikomplex organization and the Slovo 21 NGO in the Czech Republic. Three teams of actors from three different cities (Ostrava, Písek and Prague) are giving three different performances, the common aim of which is to "develop a culture of dialogue between the majority and minority groups in the Czech Republic and, through theater, to open up a common space leading to the awareness of each individual's own life situation, power to achieve change, and rights," according to a press release about the project.
Antikomplex and Slovo 21 are offering schools the opportunity to attend these theatrical performances and familiarize themselves with the unique method of forum theater, where audience members become actors for a moment and aid in creatively solving problems created by various forms of oppression. The performances are appropriate for upper primary and high school students.
It is also possible to schedule a performance at a school. Admission to the performances for school groups is free of charge.
Písek (Municipal Library): We are (all) required to go to school?
Robert is a student in the first year of high school who lives with his mother and two younger sisters. He is the first person from his family to begin high school.
The entire family is very involved in Robert's matriculation into high school and are justifiably proud of him. Once at school, however, Robert gets into a situation that places him in the role of an aggressor.
How will this turn out for Robert? Could it turn out differently?
Ostrava (Stará Aréna Theater): Kalrs (Colors) of Ostrava
A group of people from Ostrava ask what we can do together to end the latent racism in our society. Where is the fear coming from?
Where do feelings of superiority come from? Who benefits from all this?
This performance is happening on 3, 10 and 11 December. It lasts 90 minutes and will begin at 10:00 and 13:00 or per agreement with the school.
Prague (Rock Café): Animated Dream
This group, comprised of representatives of various Asian communities and their friends and schoolmates, tells the story of a dream and how thorny the path to making it come true can be.
Theater as a forum - Theater of the Oppressed
The Theater of the Oppressed aims to combat societal phenomena such as bullying, manipulation, prejudice and racism. The performances are created on the basis of working with the topic of oppression and are based on the actual experiences of the (non)actors.
After viewing the play, a short discussion is held and audience members are invited to intervene to attempt to change the approach taken by the protagonist toward the problem at hand and, thereby, to solve it. This process erases the boundaries between the audience members and the actors - between you and I.
- Czech Theater of the Oppressed festival - Divufest 2015 - ends today
- Czech Republic: Theater as a victory over bullying and racism
- Czech Republic: Local theater company stages German play about brutal neo-Nazi murder
- Czech amateur theater group rejects Romani boy in institutional care
- Czech school targeted with hate over its non-white first-graders last year receives donation of laptop computers
- Czech movement calling itself "Decent People" fined for disrupting theatrical production
- Czech Police refuse immediate comment about extremist stickers on bus used to transport 280 arrested environmental activists
- Czech court rules in favor of songwriter's widow, xenophobic band loses prize named after him without authorization
- Slovakia: Romani girl from bad neighborhood did the best on entrance exams, now tutors others
- Facebook blocks German-language pages of anti-multiculturalism "Identitarian Movement"
- Czech-Romani actor Jan Cina: People should be judged by how they do what they do, not by labels
- Czech vigilantes file their own crime report about play in Brno
- Vanesa Horváthová: I hope there will be more Romani doctors, journalists, lawyers and police officers
- Czech ultra-right disrupts theater performance, director says it reminds him of the rise of Fascism in the 20th century
- Czech play focuses on hateful commentaries posted to Internet discussions - #nejsemrasista_ale
- Czech prosecutors announce first indictment in case of online hate speech against first-graders
Tags:divadlo, představení, Předsudky, škola, Xenophobia
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.