Czech Television launches new detective serial, "Lynch", about the murder of a young Romani man
On 22 October, Czech Television broadcast the first episode of its new serial, "Lynch" (Lynč). The eight-part series tells the story of a fictional small Czech town of "Buchnov" where a young Romani man named Denis has been brutally murdered.
A documentary filmmaker named Tomáš, who has known Denis since childhood, comes to town to investigate. The subject of racial intolerance and deeply-rooted prejudice in the small town is one of the serial's main plot lines.
News server Romea.cz is publishing interviews with the creators of the series and some of the actors portraying its important characters. Romani Studies scholar Renata Berkyová provided expert consultancy to the film and discussed various scenes with directors Klára Jůzová and Jan Bártek so as to make them as authentic as possible.
The idea of bringing such a fraught subject to life was born at a student workshop led by the American screenwriter Harold Apter, who also teaches screenwriting at the University of Southern California's School of Cinematic Arts in the Writing for Screen and Television Faculty. Apter has been behind projects such as "Star Trek: The Next Generation" or "Walker, Texas Ranger".
During his film workshops, several pilots were developed with various subject matters, and the best of them was chosen for production. The "Lynch" series is based on that winning pilot.
Producer Jan Maxa told public broadcaster Czech Television that "The project is unique in the Czech context from several perspectives: It was developed as a collaboration between Czech Television, film schools, and departments at FAMU [Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague], JAMU [Janáček Academy of Music and Performing Arts in Brno] and UTB [Tomas Bata University in Zlín]. Second, the directors and script developers were mostly young people, students or recent college graduates working under the direction of the very experienced Harold Apter. Third, it's a combination of a crime miniseries with a social drama, not an easy genre and one that is not frequently seen in Czech output. Finally, this is the first television serial ever co-produced with the ARTE television production company from their headquarters in Strasbourg."
- ROMEA declines invitation to Czech Television's debate program on Czech President's remarks because of its sensationalism
- Romani psychology student who is a ROMEA scholarship winner featured on Czech Television
- Czech Television: Successful Romani families aid the community
- Czech Television broadcasts documentary films for International Romani Day, producer reveals his Romani roots
- Czech broadcast authority says public television's news reporting on the US election broke the law
- Czech Television reports hundreds of Romani people to become homeless in the New Year
- Czech Television considers ending controversial "debate" program
- Czech Republic: Television station issues statement about interview with refugee that sparked online hatred
- Czech Republic: Manipulative television report sparks hatred against Christian refugees from Iraq
- Roma demand apology from Czech Education Minister on Facebook for his insulting remarks on television
- Czech Television humiliates Romani people on their International Day
- Czech Television journalist Richard Samko: Why I don't mention ethnicity in my reporting
- Patrik Banga harshly criticizes Romani people on Czech Television's "Hyde Park"
- Interview with Milan Uhde, chair of the board of directors of Czech Television, about "inadaptables"
- Czech commercial television station broadcast racist jokes on Christmas, broadcast council warns they broke the law
- Czech Republic: Driver runs into Romani boy in crosswalk, shouts racist abuse at him and drives off
- Czech Supreme Court upholds sentence for terrorist who supports ultranationalist party
- Commentary: Which Czech media outlets can we take seriously?
- Czech student resigns from academic senate after his racist past is revealed
- Slovakia: Romani girl's racist Facebook post under investigation by authorities
- Czech fan of ultra-nationalist party gets suspended sentence for wearing Nazi symbols to demonstration
- Romani rapper Alex Dzurko's new video criticizes "Facebook warriors" and racists, laments social divisions
- Thirty years of freedom: Roma in the Czech Republic wanted totalitarianism to end, value the chance to do business, lament antigypsyism
- Czech Regional Court returns online hate speech case about death threats against first-graders to lower court, more evidence needed
- Michal Mižigár: What democracy brought us Romani people in the Czech Republic in the 1990s
- Lifeguard gets state honors from Czech President for injuries sustained in brawl that sparked ultra-right anti-Romani demonstration