Czech Television launches new detective serial, "Lynch", about the murder of a young Romani man
On 22 October, Czech Television broadcast the first episode of its new serial, "Lynch" (Lynč). The eight-part series tells the story of a fictional small Czech town of "Buchnov" where a young Romani man named Denis has been brutally murdered.
A documentary filmmaker named Tomáš, who has known Denis since childhood, comes to town to investigate. The subject of racial intolerance and deeply-rooted prejudice in the small town is one of the serial's main plot lines.
News server Romea.cz is publishing interviews with the creators of the series and some of the actors portraying its important characters. Romani Studies scholar Renata Berkyová provided expert consultancy to the film and discussed various scenes with directors Klára Jůzová and Jan Bártek so as to make them as authentic as possible.
The idea of bringing such a fraught subject to life was born at a student workshop led by the American screenwriter Harold Apter, who also teaches screenwriting at the University of Southern California's School of Cinematic Arts in the Writing for Screen and Television Faculty. Apter has been behind projects such as "Star Trek: The Next Generation" or "Walker, Texas Ranger".
During his film workshops, several pilots were developed with various subject matters, and the best of them was chosen for production. The "Lynch" series is based on that winning pilot.
Producer Jan Maxa told public broadcaster Czech Television that "The project is unique in the Czech context from several perspectives: It was developed as a collaboration between Czech Television, film schools, and departments at FAMU [Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague], JAMU [Janáček Academy of Music and Performing Arts in Brno] and UTB [Tomas Bata University in Zlín]. Second, the directors and script developers were mostly young people, students or recent college graduates working under the direction of the very experienced Harold Apter. Third, it's a combination of a crime miniseries with a social drama, not an easy genre and one that is not frequently seen in Czech output. Finally, this is the first television serial ever co-produced with the ARTE television production company from their headquarters in Strasbourg."
- ROMEA declines invitation to Czech Television's debate program on Czech President's remarks because of its sensationalism
- Romani psychology student who is a ROMEA scholarship winner featured on Czech Television
- Czech Television: Successful Romani families aid the community
- Czech Television broadcasts documentary films for International Romani Day, producer reveals his Romani roots
- Czech broadcast authority says public television's news reporting on the US election broke the law
- Czech Television reports hundreds of Romani people to become homeless in the New Year
- Czech Television considers ending controversial "debate" program
- Czech Republic: Television station issues statement about interview with refugee that sparked online hatred
- Czech Republic: Manipulative television report sparks hatred against Christian refugees from Iraq
- Roma demand apology from Czech Education Minister on Facebook for his insulting remarks on television
- Czech Television humiliates Romani people on their International Day
- Czech Television journalist Richard Samko: Why I don't mention ethnicity in my reporting
- Patrik Banga harshly criticizes Romani people on Czech Television's "Hyde Park"
- Interview with Milan Uhde, chair of the board of directors of Czech Television, about "inadaptables"
- Czech MP who compared Muslim immigrants to "invasive species" will not be stripped of immunity from prosecution
- As US protests continue against police murder, ROMEA recalls 2016 case of Romani man who died in police custody under circumstances like George Floyd
- Celebrity rejected by Czech real estate agency because of Romani surname: "It was a shock"
- Czech court returns to case of hateful online comments about non-"white" first-graders, but witnesses fail to appear
- Ukraine: Racists attack Romani family of four, setting fire to their home and threatening a pregnant woman with rape
- Commentary: CNN Prima begins its Czech-language broadcasting with stereotypes about Romani people
- Patrik Banga: Police officer who beat Romani children in Slovakia must be fired, he relied on "cigoši" not complaining
- Slovak President asks for explanation of incident in which police officer brutalized young children in Romani settlement
- Slovak police officer said to have beaten five Romani children in Krompachy settlement and threatened to shoot them
- Romani woman with Harvard PhD calls Czech racist landlord over his antigypsyist advertisement
- Slovak PM harshly attacks critics of Govt approach to COVID-19 in Romani settlements, says measures are life-saving
- North Macedonia: Investigation of death of pregnant Romani woman denied care for days despite being in labor