Czech town hall to meet inhabitants of problem housing estate
Representatives of the town hall of Litvinov will meet dissatisfied inhabitants of the Janov housing estate on December 8, the two sides agreed today.
Unadaptable inhabitants from other parts of the Czech Republic as well as from Slovakia have been moving of late to the housing estate that is inhabited mainly by Romanies.
Marches of far-right extremists, who claim they protect the non-Romany inhabitants, from the town centre to Janov have resulted in sharp clashes with the police. In the latest of them on November 17, 16 people were injured.
An inhabitant of the Janov housing estate said that "besides noise, we face threats by the unadaptable citizens. The last time the city and national police intervened in our entrance on Wednesday," he said.
The town hall banned on Wednesday and today six marches in the town announced by extremists, other local citizens dissatisfied with the situation at Janov and the Romany Christian Association.
From Friday until next May, the town streets and squares were previously "booked" by the Jewish Liberal Union.
- Czech local politicians allege police have had to respond to Romani refugee Ukrainians, but police have no record of being called to their location
- Czech housing estate now home to 80 Romani refugees from Ukraine, local Romani community aiding them with food
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Ministry proposes extending length of compulsory school attendance as an anti-poverty measure
- Residents of the Czech Republic's "Wild North" choose between nostalgic vigilantism and forward-looking coexistence
- How a Romani family in the Czech Republic lost their housing through no fault of their own
- Czech racist featured in German TV report says Romani people's "genetic code" must be "destroyed"
- Czech town sees low turnout for 10th anniversary of anti-Romani pogrom, Romani people light candles for the police officers injured that day
- Czech ultra-right extremists plan to commemorate 10th anniversary of their attempted pogrom on Romani people
- Commentary: "Zero tolerance" is back in North Bohemia, a "sure bet" for the Czech local elections
- Czech Republic: Housing estate residents without heat during freezing weather, situation is critical
- Czech housing estate sees water cut off, situation is critical for residents
- Czech town buying dilapidated prefab apartment building on housing estate to demolish it