Czech Trade Inspection Authority investigating firms leasing apartments at Janov housing estate
The long-term experience of Romani apartment-seekers in the town of Litvínov is unequivocal: Apartments are only available for them to lease at the Janov housing estate. Over the past few years a ghetto has gradually been created there.
Local self-appointed "decent citizens" are now protesting the situation and threatening another "small-scale civil war" like in 2008. "Some companies offering rentals in Litvínov exclude Romani individuals or families a priori, without grounds, from consideration as tenants without ever learning anything more about them. All it takes is for someone to be Romani and the company will reduce its offer to apartments at Janov at the very most. Many clients have testified to this experience, and that is the reason we have submitted a motion in this matter to the Czech Trade Inspection Authority, " says Ondřej Kocur of the Společný život (Common Life) nonprofit organization; news server Romea.cz will report on the results of the investigation when they become available.
Kocur does not consider the recent petition addressed by non-Romani residents of Janov to Czech PM Bohuslav Sobotka about the Romani residents to be a solution. "The wording of that petition assigns collective blame and risks repeating the anti-Romani attacks of 2008," he says. "It also pits the self-proclaimed 'decent citizens' against the 'gypsies', which is sad."
- Janov residents petition Czech PM over "gypsies"
- Commentary: Czech Trade Inspection Authority report downplays discrimination against Romani consumers
- Czech Trade Inspection Authority finds 19 cases of discrimination, five against Roma
- Czech Interior Minister ready to strengthen police presence at Janov if necessary
- Czech Police report 60 extremists protested at Janov today
- Documentary on the attempted neo-Nazi pogrom at Janov
- Pecina: Janov housing estate to be patrolled by 10 more police officers
- Roma who stood up to the neo-Nazis being prosecuted, racists from Janov apparently not
- No incident during Czech far-right patrol's march through Janov
- Czech minister wants to include Janov among excluded localities
- CzechRep sees toughest clash of police, far-rightists since 2000
- Residents of the Czech Republic's "Wild North" choose between nostalgic vigilantism and forward-looking coexistence
- Czech restaurant chain apologizes to Romani musician for refusal of service
- First Czech real estate agency motivated by social responsibility in the Plzeň Region opens for business
- Slovak church bungles inclusion of Romani newcomer into First Communion ceremony, charges of racial discrimination being investigated
- Czech restaurant says reservations, not racism, were why a Romani group was not seated despite empty tables
- Stano Daniel: Czecho-Slovak perspectives on elections to the European Parliament
- Czech doctor prioritizes registration of Romani patients and receives hateful threats from non-Roma
- Pope stands up for Romani people attacked by (neo)Fascists in Rome who threatened rape
- Elena Gorolová, who campaigns for compensation for forced sterilization, featured on Czech talk show
- How a Romani family in the Czech Republic lost their housing through no fault of their own
- Czech Trade Inspection Authority found 13 cases of consumer discrimination last year - "No Roma, no young children..."
- Young teacher describes how antigypsyism is alive and well in Czech primary education