Czech ultra-right extremists plan to commemorate 10th anniversary of their attempted pogrom on Romani people
The Workers Social Justice Party (DSSS) is planning a demonstration for Saturday, 17 November at the Janov housing estate in Litvínov to commemorate their "Day of National Unity" protest from 10 years ago and to commemorate the unrest they unleashed in 2008. The event has already been announced to local authorities, according to the Most edition of Deník.cz.
In 2008 hundreds of neo-Nazis traveled from all over the country to the town of Litvínov where, supported by local non-Romani residents, they demonstrated against the Romani residents there. During their march to the Janov housing estate they clashed with police, who used tear gas and water cannon to prevent what was apparently an attempt to undertake the biggest anti-Romani pogrom in northern Bohemia of modern times.
News server Romea.cz reported on that unrest at the time (link here). Deník.cz is now reporting that an opposition local assembly member, Petr Globočník from a group called "Litvínov Do toho" (Litvínov Get To It) is calling on the city council to get involved with the problem and to send the clear message that its solution to the situation locally will be absolutely different from that of the neo-Nazis.
"This will be a commemoration of the anniversary of the neo-Nazi protests that marched on Janov. The City of Litvínov should make it clear that the way we address the issue of Janov today will be something absolutely different from what [DSSS chair] Mr Vandas will be submitting for our consideration," Globočník told the daily.
- Czech center-right party distances itself from collaborating with extremists in local government
- Czech Police hiring 1 000 police officers for basic services, cybercrime and extremism
- Czech extremist party's campaign rally in Prague legally blocked by counter-event
- Czech Police charge right-wing extremists who assaulted citizens of India
- Local Prague candidate seems to have given Nazi salute at demonstration, extremist party she is running for disavows her
- Czech ultra-right disrupts theater performance, director says it reminds him of the rise of Fascism in the 20th century
- Czech Police intervene after ultra-right attacks those opposed to neo-Nazism in Plzeň
- Czech terrorist allegedly a fanatical supporter of ultra-right party who has attacked Romani people in the past
- Czech party alleges ROMEA calls for violence online - but the posts are by their own ultra-right fans
- Organizers of yesterday's demonstration say politicians' allegations of "assault" by protesters in front of Prague hotel are a lie
- NGO representatives from 20 countries attend ODIHR/OSCE round table on monitoring demonstrations and keeping them nonviolent
- Czech trial finally reveals what launched anti-Romani demonstrations in 2013
- CzechRep sees toughest clash of police, far-rightists since 2000
- Volunteer civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: ombudsman intentionally undermining the dignity of Romani people
- Czech ombudsman criticizes draft Roma Strategy, rejects idea of updating information about compensation for forced sterilizations
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Czech racists hated Vodafone Christmas ad featuring non-white children, the company objects to their online comments
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to adults who assaulted young Romani children physically and verbally in a park last year
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison