Czech ultra-right extremists plan to commemorate 10th anniversary of their attempted pogrom on Romani people
The Workers Social Justice Party (DSSS) is planning a demonstration for Saturday, 17 November at the Janov housing estate in Litvínov to commemorate their "Day of National Unity" protest from 10 years ago and to commemorate the unrest they unleashed in 2008. The event has already been announced to local authorities, according to the Most edition of Deník.cz.
In 2008 hundreds of neo-Nazis traveled from all over the country to the town of Litvínov where, supported by local non-Romani residents, they demonstrated against the Romani residents there. During their march to the Janov housing estate they clashed with police, who used tear gas and water cannon to prevent what was apparently an attempt to undertake the biggest anti-Romani pogrom in northern Bohemia of modern times.
News server Romea.cz reported on that unrest at the time (link here). Deník.cz is now reporting that an opposition local assembly member, Petr Globočník from a group called "Litvínov Do toho" (Litvínov Get To It) is calling on the city council to get involved with the problem and to send the clear message that its solution to the situation locally will be absolutely different from that of the neo-Nazis.
"This will be a commemoration of the anniversary of the neo-Nazi protests that marched on Janov. The City of Litvínov should make it clear that the way we address the issue of Janov today will be something absolutely different from what [DSSS chair] Mr Vandas will be submitting for our consideration," Globočník told the daily.
- Czech center-right party distances itself from collaborating with extremists in local government
- Czech Police hiring 1 000 police officers for basic services, cybercrime and extremism
- Czech extremist party's campaign rally in Prague legally blocked by counter-event
- Czech Police charge right-wing extremists who assaulted citizens of India
- Local Prague candidate seems to have given Nazi salute at demonstration, extremist party she is running for disavows her
- Czech ultra-right disrupts theater performance, director says it reminds him of the rise of Fascism in the 20th century
- Czech Police intervene after ultra-right attacks those opposed to neo-Nazism in Plzeň
- Czech terrorist allegedly a fanatical supporter of ultra-right party who has attacked Romani people in the past
- Czech party alleges ROMEA calls for violence online - but the posts are by their own ultra-right fans
- Organizers of yesterday's demonstration say politicians' allegations of "assault" by protesters in front of Prague hotel are a lie
- NGO representatives from 20 countries attend ODIHR/OSCE round table on monitoring demonstrations and keeping them nonviolent
- Czech trial finally reveals what launched anti-Romani demonstrations in 2013
- CzechRep sees toughest clash of police, far-rightists since 2000
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Slovak media and NGOs welcome conviction of right-wing extremist
- Facebook will delete posts denying or distorting the Holocaust, ignorance of it among youth one reason
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Portugueuse police ordered to remove racist tattoos
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- Czech Senate election: Romani candidate says right-wing extremists could take power unless people vote for their competitors
- Commentary: What are the Romani candidates running for the fascists in the Czech Republic thinking?
- Czech court sentences perpetrator to five years for racist assault on Romani man, both defense and prosecution considering appeal