Czech Vsetin evicts Romany family over repeated disturbance
A Czech court today decided that the Romany family of Mozoliks must leave its flat over repeated disturbance, the public Czech Television (CT) reported today.
Eva Stejskalova, spokeswoman for the Vsetin town hall, said the family violated good morals in the house for a long time. It flooded its neighbours' flat, disturbed their sleep and destroyed parts of the house.
The Mozoliks were evicted even though they were not rent defaulters. They will not receive any alternative housing, CT said.
Stejskalova said the town's authorities evicted 20 rent defaulters last year.
In autumn 2005, Vsetin authorities resettled a number of Romany families. The step caused a lot of controversy in Czech society. It was sharply criticised by not only Romany organisations and other human rights activists but also some politicians.
The case is connected with then Vsetin mayor Jiri Cunek who is now the leader of the junior ruling Christian Democrats (KDU-CSL).
- Czech town refuses to settle out of court with Roma whom they forcibly relocated 13 years ago
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from municipality defending its 2006 eviction of Romani residents
- Czech Christian Democratic Governor and Senator resigns his local posts but says his antigypsyist remarks not the reason
- Civil society members of Czech Government Council for Roma Minority Affairs recap past three years of work
- Czech politician alleges he has resolved the issue of "inadaptable Gypsies", Faktus says the facts show otherwise
- Czech town "celebrates" 10th anniversary of Romani evictions and creation of ghetto with fireworks
- Czech Constitutional Court to review town's forced relocation of Romani residents
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion begins work with mayor who keeps attacking Roma
- Romani evictees seek compensation from town, Czech Supreme Court to review case
- Czech Republic: 30 injured after Čunek's container housing catches fire
- Commentary: Czech mayor declares war on "inadaptables" again
- Czech mayor refutes rumor she is forgiving Romani residents' debts