Czech Women's Lobby wants Zeman to apologize for remarks about rape
The Czech Women's Lobby (Česká ženská lobby) wants presidential candidate Miloš Zeman to apologize for his recent remarks about rape as an evolutionary advantage. Zeman launched his bonmot during a televised debate last Friday when explaining to his opponent, the aristocrat Karel Schwarzenberg, why the nobility has degenerated. According to the Czech Women's Lobby, whose director, Jana Smiggels Kavková, has sent an open letter to Zeman, such remarks are insulting to all women.
"Do you know what the difference was between royalty and a country gentleman (zeman)? Royalty had the droit de signeur (right of first night) and degenerated because they did not have to rape their serfs, they didn't have to expend any energy in order to rape then. We country gentlemen (zemani) had to fight hard for our rights, and not only in the sexual arena, which is why we have not degenerated," Zeman said during Friday's debate on the Prima Family television channel.
The association of organizations involved in women's rights considers this remark to be completely inexcusable, unacceptable, and far beyond the borders of good taste. "Disparaging the victims of rape and other forms of violence against women is unfortunately common in our society, and it survives thanks to would-be joking remarks like yours. When spoken during a televised debate, your remarks impact many viewers, female and male," the women's association has written to Zeman.
The organization is calling for an apology. "This is an offense against all women, and not only them. You yourself are a father and husband, so respect for women should be in your interest," the representative of the Czech Women's Lobby has written in her appeal.
This was not the first such remark to have left the lips of a presidential candidate during the electoral campaign in the Czech Republic. For example, last week candidate Schwarzenberg appeared on a Czech Television discussion program where he described the situation of Civic Democratic Party (ODS) defectors being hired for jobs in state enterprises by saying that when one has a girlfriend who doesn't enjoy performing certain tasks, the gift of a beautiful necklace will strengthen the relationship. Speaking during a debate today, Schwarzenberg apologized for his remark about women.
- Karel Holomek calls on Romani voters not to re-elect Czech President Zeman
- Czech Christian Democratic Governor and Senator resigns his local posts but says his antigypsyist remarks not the reason
- Slovakia: Sale of salon to hairdresser underway until landlord, neighbors see he is Romani
- Czech Republic: David Beňák is now Deputy Human Rights Minister, his priority is the law on social enterprises
- Oksana Marafioti: Writing is a constant discovery for me
- Commentary: Paradoxes in the war on political correctness
- Czech Culture Ministry's Subsidy Commission for National Minorities issues statement against growing intolerance
- Commentary: Czech Foreign Minister is all over the map when it comes to the issue of freedom of movement - why?
- Czech Human Rights Minister and Czech President discuss changing the Constitution and other laws
- Pavel Berky: I draw inspiration from my origins and prefer to sew my designs myself
- Czech Human Rights Minister meets with management of Hate Free project to discuss its future
- Michal Mižigár: Dža Devleha, Schapiro!
Tags:Aktuality, Osobnosti, Politika, Prezidentské volby, Výroky, zprávy, občanské sdružení, Czech republic, Miloš Zeman, news
Czech Human Rights Minister says Government might decide to buy pig farm on Romani genocide site in June10.4.2017 7:38
Czech Republic: Prestigious literary award goes to book some commentators and Romani people find offensive9.4.2017 15:27
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.