Demolition of pig farm on Romani genocide site in Czech Republic to take place in 2019, new memorial to open in 2023
Czech Television reports that the pig farm in Lety u Písku, Czech Republic is waiting to be demolished so that a new memorial can be developed there. The demolition should happen during the final months of 2019.
A visitor center exhibiting archaeological finds from the site of the WWII-era concentration camp for Romani people and a lecture hall for group tours and school visits should then be built at the site. "All that remains on the site is a slurry tank that will be dismantled during the demolition," Kristina Kohoutová, press spokesperson for the Museum of Romani Culture, which is managing the site, told Czech Television.
The museum plans to announce an architectural competition for the memorial at the beginning of next year because the winning design must be chosen before demolition can begin. Some of the pig farm buildings may be included in the memorial design.
"Whether that idea will actually be used will depend on the specific design and on the architect," Kohoutová said. Another component of the memorial should be a so-called interactive augmented reality system.
The new memorial is meant to open to the public in 2023. The Czech state released CZK 111 million [EUR 4.3 million] to the museum for the demolition of the farm in September.
The building of the memorial will be financed by Norway Grants with an assumed investment of EUR 15 million (almost CZK 40 million). Those funds should cover the new constructions and their operation until 2024, after which operational financing should be provided by the Czech Culture Ministry from the state's own budget.
- Lety after the Romani genocide, Part One: Local authorities wanted to build another camp there for Roma after the war
- Czech Police: Anti-Romani signs at Romani genocide memorial in Lety were approval of genocide, perpetrators face three years in prison
- Czech prosecutor to review police decision not to charge politicians over remarks about Romani genocide site
- Czech organization remembers the Nazi genocide and aids its Romani victims
- Czech Government releases funds to demolish pig farm on Romani genocide site, archaeological survey will happen
- Czech institutions designing memorial about the genocide of the Roma are inspired by Norwegian remembrance sites
- Week-long education event at Terezín also honors genocide of Roma with concert and flag
- Nationalists desecrate Czech memorial to genocide of the Roma
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Czech Constitutional Court: Complaint against decision to buy pig farm on Romani genocide site is inadmissable
- Czech memorial to Romani genocide apparently must be done in three years
- Demolition of pig farm on Romani genocide site in Czech Republic could provide jobs for long-term unemployed
- Czech Republic will not finance new memorial at Romani genocide site, funds will come from Norway
- Norway confirms it will give EUR 1 million to create memorial to Romani genocide at Lety
- Gallery in Czech capital to host discussion about new memorial commemorating the Romani genocide
- Czech state is now the official owner of the former pig farm at Lety on the Romani genocide site
- Czech Republic: Pigs finally leave Romani genocide site
- Czech Constitutional Court receives complaint over buyout of pig farm on Romani genocide site
- Czech Culture Minister: Buyout of pig farm was important, human dignity cannot be measured in money
- Jana Horváthová: Today Czech society perceives removing the pig farm from the Roma genocide site as necessary
- BREAKING NEWS: Czech owner of pig farm on Roma genocide site approves its handover to the state
- Special issue of Romano voďi magazine on Romani Holocaust and Czech state buyout of pig farm on genocide site
- Slovakia-based stockholder in pig farm on Romani genocide site suing over sale to Czech Republic - twice
- Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner welcomes Czech Govt purchase of pig farm on Romani genocide site
- BREAKING NEWS: Contract for Czech state to buy pig farm on Romani genocide site has been signed
- US Holocaust Museum offers unique opportunity in Prague to relatives of those persecuted on Protectorate territory
- EEA and Norway Grants will support building of memorial to Romani victims of the Holocaust at former concentration camp site
- Interview: Patriotism is not the same as hating those who are different
- Czech descendants of WWII resistance fighters demand senator resign over speech at Holocaust memorial
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- Petra Gelbart: Auschwitz Museum says recent research finds the Romani prisoners' uprising was not on 16 May 1944
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at the former Lety concentration camp attended by 200 people
- LIVE AT NOON TODAY: Commemoration at the former concentration camp for Roma in Lety, Czech Republic
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity in memoriam to Dr Alfred Bader
- Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
- Čeněk Růžička on lower house refusing to strip MP of immunity for remarks denying the Holocaust of the Roma: They're playing with fire
- Czech lower house decides not to strip MP of immunity over his remarks denying the Holocaust of the Roma