Director of the Institute of the Terezín Initiative says story of Czechoslovak Romani partisan could raise awareness of Roma Holocaust
Last month a two-day international conference about Romani victims of the Holocaust was held in Prague by the Institute of the Terezín Initiative and the Antikomplex association in collaboration with the ROMEA organization and other partners. Experts on documenting Holocaust victims and on modern history in Central Europe discussed the current state of research in the area of the Roma Holocaust and their experiences with documenting Holocaust victims generally.
"We have experience with education and research about the Shoah, the Jewish Holocaust. We can take advantage of that methodology to commemorate - and educate people about - the Roma Holocaust," Tereza Štěpková, director of the Institute of the Terezín Initiative, told news server Romea.cz.
"However, it is necessary to have a broad discussion about this in order to ascertain how to work with that methodology in this case," she said. "A very important role is played by strong cases that are supported by documentation, facts, numbers and verification."
"We need a story like Anne Frank's", Štěpková said, mentioning the recently-published story of the Czechoslovak Romani wartime hero Jozef Serynek."That is one of the stories that has the potential to capture the attention of the broader public."
- PHOTOGALLERY: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memories of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- US Chargé d’Affaires at Roma Holocaust site: I pay tribute to the Czech Government's pledge to solve the problem of the pig farm
- FULL VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- Czech Republic: Conference begins in Prague today about historical experience of Romani people as Holocaust victims
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture still waiting for funds for demolition of pig farm on genocide site
- Czech institutions designing memorial about the genocide of the Roma are inspired by Norwegian remembrance sites
- Experts from around the globe speak in Czech capital about affordable housing
- Nationalists desecrate Czech memorial to genocide of the Roma
- Třebíč, Czech Republic commemorates anniversary of Holocaust transports from there
- Commentary: Terezin commemoration this year was a travesty, civil society group calls for director's dismissal
- Public discussion reviews Czech and Slovak policies and practices of commemorating the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Contemporary research of the Holocaust, Romani victims, and their public commemoration
- The Romani Uprising in Auschwitz, 16 May 1944
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Czech Police apprehend youth who desecrated Romani genocide memorial with pig's head
- Czech Constitutional Court: Complaint against decision to buy pig farm on Romani genocide site is inadmissable
Tags:Holocaust, Konference, Lety u Písku, Nacismus
Tomáš Ščuka: Romani people need competent representation first and foremost, not Romani representation at all costs1.8.2018 10:04
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.