Director of the Institute of the Terezín Initiative says story of Czechoslovak Romani partisan could raise awareness of Roma Holocaust
Last month a two-day international conference about Romani victims of the Holocaust was held in Prague by the Institute of the Terezín Initiative and the Antikomplex association in collaboration with the ROMEA organization and other partners. Experts on documenting Holocaust victims and on modern history in Central Europe discussed the current state of research in the area of the Roma Holocaust and their experiences with documenting Holocaust victims generally.
"We have experience with education and research about the Shoah, the Jewish Holocaust. We can take advantage of that methodology to commemorate - and educate people about - the Roma Holocaust," Tereza Štěpková, director of the Institute of the Terezín Initiative, told news server Romea.cz.
"However, it is necessary to have a broad discussion about this in order to ascertain how to work with that methodology in this case," she said. "A very important role is played by strong cases that are supported by documentation, facts, numbers and verification."
"We need a story like Anne Frank's", Štěpková said, mentioning the recently-published story of the Czechoslovak Romani wartime hero Jozef Serynek."That is one of the stories that has the potential to capture the attention of the broader public."
- PHOTOGALLERY: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memories of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- US Chargé d’Affaires at Roma Holocaust site: I pay tribute to the Czech Government's pledge to solve the problem of the pig farm
- FULL VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- Czech Republic: Conference begins in Prague today about historical experience of Romani people as Holocaust victims
- Poland: Vandals deface Holocaust memorials in multiple locations, disrupt Jewish festival
- EEA and Norway Grants will support building of memorial to Romani victims of the Holocaust at former concentration camp site
- Interview: Patriotism is not the same as hating those who are different
- The Romani Uprising in Auschwitz, 16 May 1944
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at the former Lety concentration camp attended by 200 people
- LIVE AT NOON TODAY: Commemoration at the former concentration camp for Roma in Lety, Czech Republic
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity in memoriam to Dr Alfred Bader
- Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
- LIVE BROADCAST TUESDAY 26 MARCH: Council of Europe holds the 7th International Roma Women's Conference
- VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
- Čeněk Růžička on lower house refusing to strip MP of immunity for remarks denying the Holocaust of the Roma: They're playing with fire
- Czech lower house decides not to strip MP of immunity over his remarks denying the Holocaust of the Roma