Eduard Oláh, sculptor and stonemason who designed memorial to the Romani victims of Hodonín concentration camp, has passed away
After a brief illness the sculptor and stonemason Eduard Oláh - Izrael Ben Eded has passed away at the age of 63. Funeral services were held on Tuesday, 7 February 2018, for the immediate family, which informed news server Romea.cz of his passing.
Mr Oláh first came to public awareness at the end of the 1990s when he won the commission to design the memorial to the Romani victims of the WWII-era concentration camp at Hodonín u Kunštátu. In 1997 his sculpture of a cross with a crown of thorns was unveiled by the Museum of Romani Culture at the Žalov burial site and an annual tradition of commemorative ceremonies honoring the memories of those interred there began.
Mr Oláh was born in 1955 in Zvolen, Czechoslovakia, but soon moved with his entire family to Roztoky u Prahy and then to Česká Třebova. The city of Prague became fateful for him primarily because his love of stone was born there.
"He began to work there in construction for Metrostav. After work he liked to visit a little pub where the stonemasons gathered," Karolína Ryvolová wrote in 1997 for the journal Romano džaniben.
"One day he wandered over to the Troja Chateau and saw the masters at work. They took him in and during the restoration of the Church of St. Jacob they taught him how to divide blocks of stone using wedges and how to make ribbing and pillars from them to repair stonework."
Mr Oláh at one point shared a studio with members of the Tvrdohlaví ("Stubborn Ones") artists' group in Prague. Eventually he returned to Česká Třebova, where he had his own sculpture studio.
Our sincere condolences go to his family and loved ones.
- Czech Republic: Professor Ctibor Nečas, a pioneer in researching the history of the Roma, has passed away
- Internationally renowned Romani artist Damian Le Bas has passed away
- Ladislav Body, Romani man elected MP in the former Czechoslovakia, has passed away
- Emílie Machálková, a Czech Romani Holocaust survivor, has passed away
- Romani jewelry designer Rosa Taikon has passed away
- Czech Republic: Ignác Zima, co-founder of the Union of Gypsies-Roma, has passed away
- Macedonia: The Queen of Romani Music, Esma Redžepova, has passed away
- Valery Novoselsky, Romani activist and founder of the Roma Virtual Network, has passed away
- Czech Republic: Romani author and journalist Gejza Demeter has passed away
- Czech Republic: Romani author Andrej Giňa has passed away
- Sir Nicholas Winton, who saved Jewish children from the Holocaust, has passed away
- Czech anarchist, advocate of Romani people's rights, has passed away
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- Petr Kotlár: Filming with Václav Marhoul was a colossal experience
- Czech Republic: Survivor of the Nazi massacre at Lidice passes away
- Juliana Vodrážková: Josef Bánom has passed away
- LIVE BROADCAST: Gala awards ceremony Tajsa 2019 for Roma in the arts and culture
- Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
- Romani community member Stanislav Holomek has passed away in Germany
- International Romani Language Day celebrated with readings in six Czech cities
- Romani community member Jozef Facuna has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech Republic: Roma Pride 2019 broadcast live online by ROMEA TV
- Hollywood Reporter says "The Painted Bird", starring a Romani child actor, is among the 20 best films this year
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role