Emil Voráč: Czech Govt COVID-19 measures have not stopped our work, but the poorest are being forgotten
ROMEA TV has interviewed the director of the Khamoro organization in the Czech Republic, Emil Voráč, who is continuing to run community services and a food bank in Chodov and the surrounding area, despite the situation with the spread of COVID-19. "In Chodov and the surrounding area we are the only ones providing aid," he told ROMEA TV.
"I know the town of Chodov sometimes sends a food package to somebody, but people are telling us that no assistance has been provided to them, which is why they are contacting us in large numbers, all at once," the director told ROMEA TV. "We have also managed to successfully complete one of our projects with the people here."
"At the beginning there was 93 % unemployment here, now 90 % of the people are employed. I think that is a very good result," the director said.
Voráč is a recipient of the Karel Janeček Foundation's award in the category of "Kind Person" for his lifelong work with the socially vulnerable and has been providing aid to Romani people and others. He began his working life as a miner and later also worked as a chemist; after the 1989 Velvet Revolution, he established the Romani Club for Interpersonal Relationships and currently leads Khamoro, a public benefit corporation.
- Romani woman with Harvard PhD calls Czech racist landlord over his antigypsyist advertisement
- Czech foundation introduces new online platform for tutoring services
- Czech media falsely accuse Romani mourners of breaking the law after cemetery employee calls police
- Milan Kotlár: Our Romani restaurant in Český Krumlov is closed, Czech state support will not rescue us
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion: Those left out of distance learning could go to summer school
- Talented Romani pianist performs from his balcony in Czech town to thank medical workers
- Czech Foreign Affairs Minister tells ROMEA TV that Brexit and COVID-19 are causing problems for UK residents hoping to return
- Amnesty International criticizes Czech discrimination of Roma, Public Defender of Rights says AI is "biased"
- Czech Interior Ministry centre refutes most frequent disinformation about COVID-19 online
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Minister has plan to re-open social services
- Vice-Chair of Czech Govt Council for Roma Minority Affairs wants to hear what Romani entrepreneurs need to respond to the effects of the pandemic
- Romani woman on the front lines of COVID-19: Interview with a nurse in the Czech capital
- Interview with Romani man in Czech Republic recovering from COVID-19: This was not like the flu
- Czech Labor Minister tells ROMEA TV the crucial priority is to prevent mass unemployment because of COVID-19
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights on International Romani Day: Segregated schools are the shame of our country
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner thanks Roma for their aid during COVID-19 and wishes them well on International Romani Day
- Romani and non-Romani figures from the Czech Republic send greetings on International Romani Day: But bacht the sasťipen!
- "Gypsy King" boxer Tyson Fury tells GQ he once gave his Louboutins to a homeless man in LA, but his giving doesn't stop there
- Best of the Romani musicians program BAŠAVEL in 2020, broadcast online by Czech NGO ROMEA
- During Czech COVID-19 pandemic, NGO distributes more than 80 laptops to Romani students for distance learning
- Once persecuted, the Salesians have run programs unlike any others for Romani children for 30 years in third-largest Czech city
- Romani community members debate the Czech Govt Strategy on Roma for 2021-2030
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- EU Commissioner for Values: EU money is meant to help the Roma too, data collection is important so we aren't flying blind
- Despite COVID-19 state of emergency, landlord summarily evicts five Romani families in Czech town
- More than one Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic wins events in the WAKO K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX 2020
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Czech town's project to install "container housing" on mostly-Romani housing estate published online by opposition local assembly member
- Pirate Party candidate for Governor of a Czech region from the Romani community says social exclusion has been ignored for 30 years