EUROPE: Roma Pride 2016 raised the issue of denying that Roma were Holocaust victims
On Sunday, 2 October, the sixth annual Roma Pride event took place in a number of locations around Europe including Prague. Compared to previous years, there was significantly lower Romani turnout for it in Prague this year.
The aim of the event was to draw attention to the situation of the Romani minority in society and focused on the issue of the denial that Romani people were also victims of the Holocaust. The program in Prague began at 14:00 at the Church of Martin-in-the-Wall in Prague with a performance by the children's dance ensemble Amare čhave.
Romani activist Jozef Miker gave a speech complaining about the low Romani turnout. "We are losing our pride. I don't know exactly how many Romani people live in Prague, but I don't see any of them here. Where are the Prague Roma, where is their pride?" he asked.
The originally-planned march on the Old Town Square did not take place and those attending instead walked across Wenceslas Square to the Hussite Drop-In Club (Nízkoprahového klubu Husita). The European event is organized by the European Grassroots Antiracist Movement (EGAM), the Czech member organizations of which are the Konexe association and the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren.
- Roma Pride 2012 marches through the center of Prague
- Roma Pride 2012 this Sunday in 15 European capitals including Prague
- For the dignity of Roma people in Europe: Roma Pride!
- Roma Pride: Marches take place in European cities
- Petr Ščuka: Romani flag accessories with Swarovski crystals are popular
- Online Romanes-language video calls on Roma to declare Romani nationality during the Czech census
- "Gypsy King" boxer Tyson Fury tells GQ he once gave his Louboutins to a homeless man in LA, but his giving doesn't stop there
- Czech protest against new ombudsman marches through second-largest city
- Czech Republic: Roma Pride 2019 broadcast live online by ROMEA TV
- VIDEO: March of Proud Roma begins International Romani Day celebrations
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- Romani kickbox champ of Czech Republic celebrates victory at Muay-Thai evening in Slovakia with Romani flag around his shoulders
- Neo-Nazis from C14 group that assaults Roma march through Ukrainian capital celebrating ultra-nationalist historical figure
- Czech Police charge five more suspects in poolside brawl that sparked radical demonstration
- Commentary: Roma Pride and listening to each other
- Roma Pride Manifesto 2018