European Roma flood Facebook with hundreds of photos of themselves at work, tell Czech President to stop insulting them
The Facebook social networking site was flooded yesterday afternoon with hundreds of photos of Romani people at work, all uploaded in response to the insulting, racist remarks made by Czech President Miloš Zeman during a visit last week to the Olomouc Region, when he insinuated that the unemployed population of the community he was visiting was comprised of Romani people in particular. "We are no longer amused by the allegations that we don't work," Romani community member Štefan Pongo posted to Facebook.
"OK, we'll flood Facebook with photographs of ourselves at work. Send me your work pictures," Pongo asked his fellow Roma community members online.
His call was shared by the ROMEA organization and during the next few hours hundreds of photographs were posted beneath both his post and ROMEA's from the broadest possible range of locations throughout the Czech Republic and Europe where Romani people are in fact working. "My friend Jiří Keleš came up with the idea," Pongo told news server Romea.cz.
"We want to publish these photos online so they will be constantly available. I feel rather sorry for President Miloš Zeman, he already does not know which way to turn," Pongo said.
Zeman was quoted as saying that "I am decidedly no friend of communism, but during communism Romani people had to work. Most of them worked as ditch- diggers, and if they refused to work, they were designated as work-shy and went to prison."
"The Romani labor platoons were led by Romani men who had natural authority," the Czech President reminisced. "If somebody on their team didn't work, they slapped him around."
"It's a very humane method that worked most of the time," the President was quoted as saying. The European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC) objected to Zeman's remarks and called them an obvious display of hatred and racism.
"Your abusive rhetoric, designed to stoke fear and racist resentment, poses a direct threat to democratic values and the security of individuals and communities," the ERRC said in an open letter to the Czech President. The organization then went on to call for his resignation.
- Disagree with the Czech President's antigypsyism? ERRC makes it easy to email him
- European Roma Rights Centre: Czech President's remarks were antigypsyist hate speech
- Czech President alleges Romani people "do not want to work" and that "slapping them" is the best way to deal with them
- Czech Republic: "Middle class" Roma share photos on Facebook of themselves casting ballots in lower house election
- Czech Deputy Trade Minister's pay is docked after posting to Facebook that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and useless"
- Czech prosecutor says death threats and racist abuse committed through Facebook not necessarily crimes
- ROMEA reports 10+ criminal incidents involving racist commentaries and threats on Facebook to the Czech Police
- Czech Police refuse to publicize whether they are investigating death threats made on Facebook against Romani celebrity
- Czech court sentences youth to four months in prison for threatening to shoot man on Facebook
- Czech Republic: Roma report racism to Facebook after calls for "gypsies" to be set on fire are posted
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Czech and Slovak-language disinformation about COVID-19: Lies about testing, facemasks and Bill Gates