Evening commemoration of European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day 2 August in Czech capital - Leperiben: We Do Not Forget
On Sunday, 2 August, on Náměstí Míru in Prague, Czech Republic, the commemoration of European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day will take place for a second year in a row entitled "Leperiben: My nezapomínáme" (We Do Not Forget). 2 August commemorates the Romani people who perished from 2-3 August 1944 at Auschwitz.
The program remembering the Holocaust and its Romani victims will include a staging of storytelling by a Romani Holocaust survivor, based on actual memoirs and performed by the actress and singer Pavlína Matiová, as well as performances by eminent musical figures of Romani culture such as the singers Milan Kroka, Roman Zorba Horváth and Simona Šenkiová. A band led by the violin virtuoso Viliam Didiáš will provide the musical accompaniment.
Just as they did last year, eminent figures of public life will read the names of the victims from the book of the dead. The ARA ART organization is convening the event.
- LIVE BROADCAST Sunday at noon CET: European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Czech website on the Holocaust launches database of victims labeled "cikáni" by the Nazis and their accomplices
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity to Gwendolyn Albert
- Winning design for new memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech Republic features enormous circle at the site of the former concentration camp
- Czech Interior Ministry and Prague City Hall stop leasing properties to publisher who released Nazi calendar, MPs plan to ban the sale of Nazi symbols
- The Central Council of German Sinti and Roma is deeply saddened by the death of Holocaust survivor and Roma civil rights activist Raymond Gurême
- LGBT+ members of Romani communities were part of Prague Pride this year, activists introduced program to aid people experiencing multiple discrimination
- LIVE: "Leperiben: We Do Not Forget" - Prague ceremony honoring Romani victims of the Holocaust will include reading of their names
- At remembrance event, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust says Okamura is one of the Czech politicians agitating against Romani people
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT NOON: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Czech LGBT Romani activist says LGBT Roma are used to being scorned, but have their allies as well
- David Tišer tells Romani actor he has given Czech society a product full of stereotypes - and no explanation why
- Czech clergyman proposes the readers themselves choose the names of Holocaust victims to be read on Yom Hashoah this year, whether Jewish or Romani
- Prague Forum for Romani Histories: Joint commemoration of the Jewish and Romani victims of the Holocaust should inspire others
- Terezín Initiative in Czech Republic does not want Romani names included in Shoah commemoration, director of its Institute disagrees
- Online Romanes-language video calls on Roma to declare Romani nationality during the Czech census
- Czech Romani group objects to reading names of Holocaust victims who were Romani, those organizing commemorations disagree
- Commemorative ceremony at Hodonín memorial in Czech Republic 20 August honors Romani and Sinti victims of the Holocaust