Every Child Matters - online guide for Czech educators
On 1 June 2021 the Roma Education Support Trust (REST) launched a website for Czech educators, "Záleží na každém dítěti" (Every Child Matters) which presents a practical guide describing how schools in the Czech Republic have approached educating different kinds of children together in the same classroom. This unique guidance was published in 2020 in partnership with Czech primary schools.
"In this guidebook you will find tried-and-true advice, tips and strategies that Czech principals and teachers exchanged with their British and Czech colleagues during reciprocal working visits to each others' schools and then adapted to their own local conditions," a press release sent to Romea.cz says. The guidebook first introduces the idea of how to educate children of different backgrounds together and covers the legal framework for such education in the Czech Republic (inclusion).
The next part of the guidebook presents case studies from Grafická Primary School in Prague and the Trmice Primary School in Trmice, Czech Republic. The third section shows what an inclusive classroom and the education of children of different backgrounds together looks like in practice, including classroom planning and how to differentiate instruction so all pupils become and remain engaged.
The fourth section presents tried-and-true learning and teaching strategies, including differential learning strategies, and describes 46 different activities that can be used during instruction. The closing section gives other practical tips about working with pupil uniqueness.
"You'll find tips here on how to work with pupils whose mother tongue is not Czech (e.g., tips on working with images or visual aids), practical advice about educators working with pupils who have autism spectrum disorder or cerebral palsy, tips for working with the behavior of pupils and their guardians/parents, or examples of school strategies for combating bullying and racism," the authors say. The dedicated website for the guidance, https://www.zalezinakazdemditeti.cz/, is where one can download the publication after registering and includes excerpts from each section.
- Czech national audit says schools were not prepared for inclusion and local governments are not drawing funds for it in socially excluded localities
- EP calls on EC to draft a law on the equality, inclusion and participation of Romani people and on combating antigypsyism
- Czech Education Ministry wants to end funding for assistants to thousands of disabled children, expert says this will ruin inclusive education
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion: Those left out of distance learning could go to summer school
- Romani organizer from North Macedonia discusses democracy with Barack Obama at Copenhagen Democracy Summit
- Czech firefighters erect another "tent city" for refugees in the Malešice neighborhood of Prague
- Open Society Foundations pledges to invest in new European Roma Foundation for 2023
- NGO director in Czech Republic says politicians' rhetoric about "inadaptable" Roma is dangerous, some non-Roma refugees from Ukraine are reportedly aggressive toward local Roma here
- Romania: 100 Roma demonstrate in Bucharest in front of Russian Embassy with mockup of the tank that Romani Ukrainians captured from the occupiers
- Czech academic publishes book on how to work with groups where non-Romani and Romani people come together
- Czech capital's "tent city" receives first Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- New Czech Government Human Rights Commissioner will be Klára Šimáčková Laurenčíková
- Czech Interior Minister wants stricter checks on the passports held by refugees and changes to the aid offered them
- Volunteer aiding refugees from Ukraine in Czech Republic: Institutionalized racism definitively condemns Romani people to a hopeless fate
- Czech detention facility housing 130+ refugees from Ukraine, half of them are Romani