Expert says Czech society's discussion of Islam is the worst in Europe
"The discussion [of Islam] in the Czech Republic is not substantive, we are deceiving ourselves," says Miloš Mendel, an Arabist and Islamologist at Masaryk University in an interview for news server Aktuálně.cz. When asked what bothers him so much about the Czech discussion of Islam, he answered as follows:
"After several weeks of demagoguery, hysteria and lies, whether consciously or as a result of a lack of relevant information, the Czech discourse on Islam needs to calm down already, and mainly it needs to start using correct terminology that draws the right distinctions.
We must stop talking about our Western civilization, or about Judeo-Christian civilization, swearing by our roots and our values, talking about globalization, Islamization and similarly insubstantial clichés. What civilization are we even talking about here? What are the MPs here talking about when they haven't the slightest idea what the concepts of globalization and multiculturalism even mean - to say nothing of Islam?
For a long time in this society we had to listen to clichés that were devoid of meaning about the fight against international imperialism, about socialism as a great big camp, as the shield of peace, about the working class as the vanguard of socialism. The rhetoric today is equally as empty and will be emptier still unless we begin to provide some concrete content or place it in the context of the correct historical facts... The Czech discussion of Islam is unlike anything else taking place in Europe."
- Self-proclaimed Islamic State trying to recruit Roma in the Balkans
- Czech Republic: Even other Islamophobes reject the DSSS
- Czech Republic: Islamophobic demonstration greeted by counter-protest
- Czech Republic: Romea.cz survey on Romani people and Islam
- Czech extremism report: Islamophobic group uses cyber-bullying
- Czech MP didn't see neo-Nazis at anti-Islamic demo, but Romea.cz did!
- London: Radical Islamists confess to planning terrorist acts
- Berlusconi exploits Islam and the Roma in his attack on the left
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- The Central Council of German Sinti and Roma is deeply saddened by the death of Holocaust survivor and Roma civil rights activist Raymond Gurême
- Romani musician proposed for Czech state honors
- Martin Mata: Save your money, the pandemic will have an overwhelming economic impact
- Romani doctor in the Czech Republic: This work is enormously meaningful during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech ombudsman "likes" racist post on Facebook, refuses to answer questions about what that means
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights to take up human rights agenda, discrimination still an issue
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights wants to investigate human rights, new Public Defender is downplaying that aspect of the office
- Anna Šabatová's term as Czech Public Defender of Rights ends: "I did what was within my power to do"
- Robert Olah, Romani university student in the Czech Republic, on personal motivation and nonprofit support
- BBC reports Twitter makes it possible to target ads at members of hate groups or teens with eating disorders
- Czech President's nominee for ombudsman says he would not deal with discrimination against Roma if chosen because that's what the courts are for