Famous Romani vocalist Věra Bílá returns to the Czech music scene with Jan Bendig and Milan Kroka
Romani musicians Jan Bendig and Milan Kroka have reached out to the legendary singer Věra Bílá and are planning her return to live performance together. The trio are heading to the recording studio to put together a song composed by Kroka and to film a video.
"I have admired Věra Bílá since I was a child. For me, she is a great legend who has achieved a great deal and done a lot of work for Romani music," Bendig said on 2 February.
"For that reason, it is my great honor to be part of her return to where she belongs.... onstage," the younger singer said. "Yesterday we rehearsed our songs together and Věra was in excellent form, she was ready, she sang beautifully and she also threw some funny shouts in there as well."
"She was simply the Věra Bílá whom we all remember well," Bendig said. While the reaction to the news from fans reportedly moved Bendig to tears, he will not be revealing what song they are planning to record.
"I won't be telling you yet which song we will be recording. All I will say is that it will sound like a classic musical creation of Věra's, whom we all love so much and thanks to whom Romani music has made such a beautiful name for itself in the world," Bendig said.
Bílá's attempt at a musical comeback was recently followed by both public broadcaster Czech Television and through a documentary film by directors Roman Šantúr and David Vondráček, "Věra Bílá's Final Hope" (Poslední naděje Věry Bílé) describing the dramatic events in two years of her life. The distinctive vocalist, who has performed sold-out shows at L'Olympia in Paris and has sung for U.S. President Bill Clinton at the White House, is now living in a residential hotel in Rokycany, Czech Republic.
- Czech Television presents documentary film about Romani singer Věřa Bílá
- LIVE BROADCAST: Opening of the 20th annual World Roma Festival KHAMORO in Prague
- 20th annual World Roma Festival KHAMORO begins tomorrow - ROMEA TV to broadcast several live performances
- Prague celebrations of International Romani Day end today with gala
- "TOGETHER WE CAN" - celebrations of International Romani Day in Prague focus on interethnic cooperation
- Romani singer Věra Bílá, doing her best to make a comeback, performs in Prague
- Czech-Slovak co-production of TV singing contest to feature Romani celebrity on the jury
- Romani rapper Alex Dzurko's new video criticizes "Facebook warriors" and racists, laments social divisions
- Iveta Bílková: Czech society should not tolerate words like "Cigán", "Cigoši", etc.
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival and Prague Spring classical music festival given the EFFE Label
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Final Gala Concert of the Khamoro Festival
- Czech Philharmonic celebrates International Romani Day with Romani literature and musicians
- Richard Samko's message to the late singer Věra Bílá: Me, nikda nazabisterav, palikerav tumege
- Czech Prime Minister expresses condolences over the death of legendary Romani singer
- VIDEO: 2 000 people in Rokycany, Czech Republic, pay their respects to the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY from the Czech Republic: Funeral of the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- England: Requiem mass held for Věra Bílá, the Queen of Romani Music