First issue of Romano voďi magazine features Romani author Oksana Marafioti on the life of Roma in Georgia
Whether we like it or not, since time immemorial stories have wielded great power over our lives. They can be legends, myths, or the narratives of political regimes and religions.
Stories can lead to happiness or to war - it depends which ones we believe. The story itself doesn't even have to be true, and we were reminded of the result of one particular story about people who are inferior and those who are superior at the end of January, when we marked the anniversary of the liberation of the concentration camp at Auschwitz.
This year Romano voďi magazine will be carefully choosing and preparing stories for our readers - stories from real life. Our first issue of 2017 takes a look beyond our own borders.
You will learn how Romani people are living in the Caucusus and Central Asia, and we also took a closer look at Georgia, inviting Oksana Marafioti, an American author with Armenian and Romani roots, for an interview. We will also feature a reportage by Renata Kováčová on why she decided to register as a bone marrow donor and what that experience was like.
Jarmila Kuchárová, a social worker from Chomutov, will be presented to you in an article by Stanislava Ondová, and our photo reportage will feature shots taken by children living in socially excluded areas near Chrudim that were exhibited at Czech Radio's Gallery in Prague during January. You will learn what it's like in a counseling center for Romani people of differing sexual orientations, and in our cultural segment we will invite you to the movies, or to read comics about children who have been taken into state care, or to sample the poetry of Renata Berkyová.
Our regularly featured column by Viktor Elšík, "About Romanes", will continue a new year-long series of "Chapters from the History of Romani Literature", which will be prepared by the Romani Studies scholar Karolína Ryvolová. The first installment in that series will focus on the very beginnings of Romani folklore and literature.
Dear readers, we hope you find all of this interesting! You can order a copy (in Czech only) by using the easy online form at www.romanovodi.cz.
- Foster families of Romani children help them find their roots again in the Czech Republic
- Jitka Hatinová: All children must get the same chance to be educated
- Czech Constitutional Court to review town's forced relocation of Romani residents
- Czech Republic: White supremacist group launches "Anti-Multikulti Watch"
- Yvetta Blanarovičová: Talent alone is not enough
- Jana Horváthová: Today Czech society perceives removing the pig farm from the Roma genocide site as necessary
- Documentary film about Romani activist Jožka Miker brings his energy to the screen
- Czech Government "takes note" of Agency for Social Inclusion report on 2016
- Czech politician says aid to the needy should not be "based on ethnicity"
- Pavlína Matiová: I'm happy when I can sing in Romanes
- Jan Cina: I've appropriated the term "Gypsy" for myself, not to suit others
- Oksana Marafioti: Writing is a constant discovery for me
- Anna Dunčeková: I do my best to humanize social services
- Stázka Brodníčková: I wouldn't have come this far without my foster mother
- Romani hockey player Dominik Lakatoš: My Dad is my biggest hero
- Czech-language online hoax alleges terrorist attack in Prague in order to steal personal data
Tags:Romano voďi, RV 1-2/2017, sociální práce, současnost
Pre peskere pindre: Romani leaders in Czech Republic learn how to avoid financial transactions with those who humiliate Roma10.5.2018 8:56
Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?9.5.2018 6:55
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.