Former Czech Human Rights Minister Michael Kocáb calls on Gejza Horváth to attend the Roma Spirit ceremony
Michael Kocáb, the former Czech Human Rights Minister and head of the Roma Spirit project in the Czech Republic responded yesterday to the open letter published by Gejza Horváth, who has renounced his nomination for the Roma Spirit Award in the category of Romani Culture. Horváth published the letter two days ago through his Facebook profile in response to the death of a 27-year-old Romani man in a pizzeria in the Czech town of Žatec.
In his letter, the Romani musician expresses his indignation at the silence of what he refers to as "the Czech 'democratic' Republic", justifying his decision by saying that he refuses to celebrate in a society where racism is rampant. Kocáb said yesterday that he understands Horváth's indignation and has also been affected by the young man's death, but asked that Horváth reconsider his decision.
"Roma Spirit is not a celebration," the former Human Rights Minister said, describing it as just an attempt "to express appreciation for the work of dedicated, honest people who are striving for what you are calling for, better coexistence between the Czech majority and Romani people." Moreover, Kocáb said the event is not organized by the state, but is the work of nonprofit organizations attempting to fill in the blank spaces that currently exist in Government policy.
Kocáb, who is also a musician, said he would greatly regret it if Horváth were to question the value of his many years of work by insisting on his position. He therefore proposes that Horváth "dedicate a song to the deceased young man and share his sorrow with the citizens who will watch the awards ceremony on Czech Television".
- Gejza Horváth cancels appearance at Roma Spirit award over death of a Romani man in Žatec
- Czech Republic: Roma Spirit 2016 announces final candidates
- European Roma Spirit Awards: Impreuna, Roma Education Support Trust, Romea.cz, Spišský Hrhov, Sabiha Suleiman
- First-ever European Roma Spirit 2016 award nominations include news server Romea.cz
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister says the entire country should campaign against denial of Romani genocide
- Czech Republic will not hold a Roma Spirit award ceremony this year due to lack of financing and criticism by some Romani community members
- Slovakia: Nominations begin for Roma Spirit 2017 under auspices of President Kiska
- Czech state prosecutor rejects complaint from family of Romani man who died in presence of police
- Czech Republic: Amaro Records recording studio wants to bring majority society and Romani people together
- Gejza Horváth: The author of "Brnox" cheated and disappointed me. Humiliation and ridicule of Romani people dominate her book.
- Czech prosecutor to review police procedure in case of Romani man who died in pizzeria
- Czech Govt Roma Council discusses death case, Romani representatives express growing sense of danger
- VIDEO: Father of deceased Romani man says he has filed complaint against suspension of investigation
- VIDEO: Czech Police proceeded incorrectly, attorney for family of deceased Romani man says
- Czech Police find no crime was committed in death of Romani man last fall
- Czech investigation into death of Romani man in a pizzeria will announce findings at press conference