Former Czech Human Rights Minister says the entire country should campaign against denial of Romani genocide
On Wednesday, 7 February, former Czech Human Rights Minister Michael Kocáb commented at a press conference announcing the results of the fundraising drive called "THEY WANT TO GAS THEM, WE WANT TO SEND THEM TO SCHOOL!" about the recent remarks made the chair of the SPD party, who is also the vice-chair of the Chamber of Deputies. He highlighted the responses of politicians who have objected to Czech MP Okamura's remarks, which in his view have crossed a certain line.
Kocáb expressed appreciation for the campaign supporting the primary school on Plynárenská Street in Teplice where first-graders were targeted for hateful racist commentaries after their class photo was published by the daily Teplický deník, saying it was an example of an immediate response to such hate speech. "The campaign chose a rather radial slogan for its name, one that clearly says 'No, that path is long since behind us', we will not play around with the phrase 'to the gas chambers' - what is that, in the 21st century? The most horrible event, maybe, that humanity has ever experienced, decidedly the most horrible event of the last millenium, the Holocaust, and somebody dares to say such a thing at all? We must immediately object to such speech. It's like Tomio Okamura, if he's interested - yesterday on television he asked somebody to explain to him what the camp at Lety was about. I have written to him here about how it actually was," said the former Czech Human Rights Minister as he gestured to materials about the history of the Lety camp he had with him.
"It was a concentration camp with a direct connection to Auschwitz, the death camp, it prepared the annihilation there, and the question of whether there were fences there is absolutely inappropriate for him to raise at all, after all, we know what happened in connection with the Holocaust. If he is complaining that a campaign is being waged against him now, well yes, nobody should refute that, the entire country should be campaigning against such opinions, constantly, from all corners of our country there should be protests heard against such speech," Kocáb said.
- Čeněk Růžička reports crime to Czech State Prosecutor, accuses lower house vice-chair of doubting the Romani genocide
- Outgoing Czech PM backs MP who doubted Romani Holocaust, says he has apologized and his words have been "misinterpreted"
- Czech Gov't Roma Council demands apology, Czech Justice Minister disturbed by MP's remarks about Romani genocide site
- Czech Christian Democrats want to remove Holocaust doubter from vice-chair post in the lower house
- European Grassroots Antiracist Movement calls Czech MP's remarks about Romani genocide site classic Holocaust denial
- Czech MP apologizes for "imprecision", then urges people to read historian who calls the Romani Holocaust a "myth"
- Czech round table on Romani genocide memorial: Relatives of victims must have the last word
- Czech Constitutional Court receives complaint over buyout of pig farm on Romani genocide site
- Czech MP marks International Holocaust Remembrance Day by doubting what happened at Romani genocide site
- Czech Parliament marks International Holocaust Memorial Day with Romani speaker
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture officially takes charge of memorial at Romani genocide site in Hodonín u Kunštátu
- Czech Republic: ROMEA plans public debates about future of Roma genocide site once Museum of Romani Culture takes over
- History of EGAM and Konexe's efforts to see the pig farm removed from the Roma genocide site at Lety
- Jana Horváthová: Today Czech society perceives removing the pig farm from the Roma genocide site as necessary
- Czech legislators attack state's buyout of pig farm on Roma genocide site
- Special issue of Romano voďi magazine on Romani Holocaust and Czech state buyout of pig farm on genocide site
- Provocateur calls sale of former Roma genocide site to the Czech state a form of "antisemitism", Jewish community disagrees
- Slovakia-based stockholder in pig farm on Romani genocide site suing over sale to Czech Republic - twice
- Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner welcomes Czech Govt purchase of pig farm on Romani genocide site
- Czech politician not to be compensated over nickname, courts say reasonable use of it is allowed
- Czech prosecutors announce first indictment in case of online hate speech against first-graders
- MEP Soraya Post for ROMEA TV: Antigypsyism exists everywhere in Europe
- Ukraine: Video of pogrom against Roma shows neo-Nazis chasing children, throwing rocks at them and using tear gas
- Germany: 750 neo-Nazis celebrate Hitler's birthday, police confiscate their materials
- VIDEO: First-instance verdict in the Chomutov shooting case - 12.5 years
- BREAKING NEWS: Czech shooter of Romani man gets 12.5 years in prison
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Slovak appeals court confirms that town discriminated against Romani woman and must compensate her
- Vojtěch Pačan: The gadje turned out in person for the Prague demonstration, but Romani people only express their criticism on Facebook
- TODAY!!! Romani people to demonstrate against racism on 17 March in Prague's Klárov Park
- Czech MPs refuse to approve program of extraordinary session to remove vice-chair accused of denying the Romani Holocaust
Tags:Michael Kocáb, Racism, Teplice, Tomio Okamura
Pre peskere pindre: Romani leaders in Czech Republic learn how to avoid financial transactions with those who humiliate Roma10.5.2018 8:56
Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?9.5.2018 6:55
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.