Gipsy.cz's new video calls on adults and children to put down their phones and go outside together
"The lyrics for the song came to me thanks to how I have experienced my thirties," says Radek Banga, the band's lead singer. "When you're young, you long for adulthood and envy the grown-ups their lives. Suddenly you're 37 and the opposite is true, you begin to recall your childhood and to understand how beautiful it was."
Banga believes that while each age has its pros and cons, the main thing is to know how to live life to the full at any age. The new song is a cheerful, rhythmic celebration of life.
The video adds a whole other layer of message to the song. The battle between the adult and the child in each of us is its subject.
Only by bringing these two antagonistic camps together can each become useful for the other. Of course, the duel between generations is an eternal phenomenon because times constantly change, which means constantly learning to accept each other.
The video is meant to inspire people to look for a way to connect with each other through the "here and now", i.e., by experiencing shared moments. "When we were making the video, I was amazed at how the children immediately understood the script and delivered these brilliant acting performances all day long. I think it was because this wasn't just acting for them - the games they were playing were ones they may have not suspected even existed," Banga says.
During the filming it was gradually revealed that some of the child actors had never experienced such adventures before and had no idea that they could make their own bows and arrows, or slingshots, or build a bunker. The idea of the video was, therefore, actually confirmed during the filming and was great fun for the children.
That had been the exact intention of the screenwriter - to demonstrate that both adults and children are making an error in these matters today. All it takes is for adults and children to make time for each other, to focus on each other, and not to spend their entire days on their telephones.
The video ends by warning that the "Internet's Killin' Childhood". After all, time is the most precious thing we have in this life.
- Romani celebrity Radek Banga tells 300 000 demonstrators in the Czech capital: This is not just a handful of people!
- Czech court conditionally suspends prosecution of man who threatened to kill Romani celebrity
- Gipsy.cz video sends the message that we can turn the negative into positive
- Romani singer received thousands of hateful verbal assaults, Czech Police charging two people
- Czech Republic: New song "Hater" by Gipsy.cz draws attention to those who use online social networks to spread hate
- Romani celebrity faces racist comments, death threats from fans of xenophobic band Ortel
- Romani celebrity walks out in protest after neo-Nazi singer and his band win second place in Czech music awards
- Vote for the Roma group Gipsy.cz representing the Czech Republic at Eurovision 2009
- Famous Gipsy.cz singer faces threats from Czech Romanies - press
- Czech nonprofits find schools not in touch with one-fifth of disadvantaged parents surveyed
- Legendary Romani musician Rudolf Bagár has passed away
- Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- Romani musician in Czech Republic regrets believing COVID-19 was fake now that he's had it
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- German police officers who joined neo-Nazi groups online are being disciplined and dismissed in one state
- Commentary: Romani quintuplets go to school, primitives in the Czech Republic have a field day!
- Commentary: The Czech and Slovak Romani community on the battlefield that is Facebook
- Czech Police charge author of antigypsyist article about arson for that and other offenses
- Czech NGO ROMEA and vice-chair of Pirates file criminal report over online racist commentaries about arson in Bohumín
- 11 deaths in fire, worst such death toll since 1990, met with antigypsyist celebration by Czech Internet