Green Party says Czech Interior Minister must guarantee proper investigation of tragic incident in Žatec
The Green Party in the Czech Republic believes the Interior Minister must guarantee the state will take an interest in properly investigating last month's incident in a pizzeria in the town of Žatec during which a 26-year-old Romani man died. There are suspicions that the intervention performed by uniformed officers was not proportionate in terms of the use of force.
Video footage from the pizzeria was first broadcast by news server Romea.cz and indicates that the man who died was struck by a customer during the local police intervention. The Czech Government Council for Roma Community Affairs and the Council of Europe have called on Interior Minister Chovanec and Police President Tuhý to thoroughly investigate the incident.
"Many people consider this man's death to have been murder. The situation in the town has been tense ever since the incident. That is why it is necessary to pay exceptional attention to it and to proceed as transparently as possible. Minister Chovanec should commit to calming the growing racial tension in Žatec. The best way would be to publicly guarantee a thorough investigation of this case. The Government Council has called on him to do that already," Matěj Stropnický, chair of the Green Party. said in a press release on 5 November.
"Police interventions must be proportionate under all circumstances. The investigation must also check whether the behavior of some of the other customers and the local police was racially motivated. This is not the first problematic police intervention there has been this year," said Monika Horáková, a member of the Green Party's governing body, in that press release.
Police say the first autopsy performed on the youth ruled out any third-party involvement in his death. Detectives are continuing to investigate the case, however.
- Czech Republic: Funeral of young Romani man who died after a scuffle in a pizzeria last month
- Council of Europe's Special Representative of the Secretary General for Roma Issues writes to Czech Interior Minister about death of a young Romani man
- Czech Gov't Roma Council calls on Interior Minister, Police President to thoroughly investigate death of Romani man in Žatec
- Hundreds around Czech Republic honor memory of dead Romani man, right-wing extremists assemble at site of his death, riot police deployed
- Czech regional elections. Romani candidate for the Greens/Pirates, Karel Karika: No more socially excluded localities
- Romani associations distance themselves from community member who apparently expressed desire to attack Czech politician
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- Czech court upholds conviction for making dangerous threats after neighbor threatens to kill three Romani women and their children with an ax
- Editor-in-Chief of Czech media outlet appeals direct sentencing for publishing antigypsyist content, the case will be heard in open court
- Czech Police confirm football fans were behind Friday's attack on the Romani community of Sokolov
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: Investigate police response in Sokolov - it was inadequate and undermines trust in the police
- Brazil: Fatal altercation between police and Romani family launches campaign of mass murder against local Roma
- Slovakia: Drunken, knife-wielding man threatens to kill Romani children for being in a park and is now in custody
- Slovak Government apologizes to Romani community for brutal police raid in 2013
- Czech cardiologist: Drug users have broken health, breathing problems introduced during an arrest can have tragic results
- Romani Rose, head of the Central Council of German Sinti and Roma: Czech Police intervention in Teplice was abhorrent, brutal, and inhumane
- According to the Czech Inspector-General of the Security Forces, officers did not commit a crime when kneeling on neck of man who later died, more video footage has been posted online