Green Party says Czech Interior Minister must guarantee proper investigation of tragic incident in Žatec
The Green Party in the Czech Republic believes the Interior Minister must guarantee the state will take an interest in properly investigating last month's incident in a pizzeria in the town of Žatec during which a 26-year-old Romani man died. There are suspicions that the intervention performed by uniformed officers was not proportionate in terms of the use of force.
Video footage from the pizzeria was first broadcast by news server Romea.cz and indicates that the man who died was struck by a customer during the local police intervention. The Czech Government Council for Roma Community Affairs and the Council of Europe have called on Interior Minister Chovanec and Police President Tuhý to thoroughly investigate the incident.
"Many people consider this man's death to have been murder. The situation in the town has been tense ever since the incident. That is why it is necessary to pay exceptional attention to it and to proceed as transparently as possible. Minister Chovanec should commit to calming the growing racial tension in Žatec. The best way would be to publicly guarantee a thorough investigation of this case. The Government Council has called on him to do that already," Matěj Stropnický, chair of the Green Party. said in a press release on 5 November.
"Police interventions must be proportionate under all circumstances. The investigation must also check whether the behavior of some of the other customers and the local police was racially motivated. This is not the first problematic police intervention there has been this year," said Monika Horáková, a member of the Green Party's governing body, in that press release.
Police say the first autopsy performed on the youth ruled out any third-party involvement in his death. Detectives are continuing to investigate the case, however.
- Czech Republic: Funeral of young Romani man who died after a scuffle in a pizzeria last month
- Council of Europe's Special Representative of the Secretary General for Roma Issues writes to Czech Interior Minister about death of a young Romani man
- Czech Gov't Roma Council calls on Interior Minister, Police President to thoroughly investigate death of Romani man in Žatec
- Hundreds around Czech Republic honor memory of dead Romani man, right-wing extremists assemble at site of his death, riot police deployed
- Czech regional elections. Romani candidate for the Greens/Pirates, Karel Karika: No more socially excluded localities
- Czech Green Party chair describes hateful verbal assault on Prague public transport
- Greece: Man shoots dead 13-year-old Romani girl, allegedly over argument with her father
- Czech Police apprehend youth who desecrated Romani genocide memorial with pig's head
- Czech prosecutors announce first indictment in case of online hate speech against first-graders
- Czech Police indict bodybuilder who praised shooting of Romani man and made his own death threats
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says police failed in their response to shooting at children's camp
- Romani children from choir whose summer camp was shot at write to Czech PM, Police, seeking apology
- Czech Social Democratic head recommends removal of lower house vice-chair because of his deceptive remarks about Romani genocide site
- Czech pro-Kremlin disinformation Facebook page sparks wave of racist, vulgar comments about non-white infant
- Stanislava Ondová: The Czech courts use a double standard for non-Roma and Roma, I may emigrate
- Martin Bajger, candidate for the Czech lower house: If just one Romani MP is seated, that would be success
- Karel Karika, candidate for the Czech lower house: Roma must not be exploited into selling their votes
- Czech Police say threats to "bring Roma children to justice" are not criminal
Tags:Milan Chovanec, Ministerstvo vnitra, Police, Smrt Roma v Žatci, Strana zelených
Romani entrepreneurs push for unemployed Roma, not foreigners, to be hired for Czech bark beetle eradication16.6.2018 8:46
Renata Berkyová: Concept of the Porajmos as a reflection of the marginalization of Roma in historiography6.6.2018 13:25
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.