International Romani Day celebrations begin in Czech capital with Romani tram ride - "tROMvajka"
The Prague celebrations of International Romani Day are beginning today with an historic "tROMvaj" ride through the capital, accompanied by live music. ROMEA TV will broadcast the tram's first trip around the city today live online.
The historic tram car will set off on its tour of Prague at 14:00 from the Střešovice tram yard and will continue through the stations Pražský hrad (Prague Castle), Staroměstska (Old Town), Karlovo náměstí, Národní třída, Újezd and back through Prague Castle to the starting point. The same ride will happen again at 16:00.
The focal point of this year's celebrations is the musical program that will culminate in a celebratory gala full of non-Romani and Romani celebrities on Sunday 8 April at Divadlo Archa in Prague. As is traditional, the Milena Hübschmannová Award will be given for special contribution to the Romani language, the laureates of which are chosen annually by the Romani Studies Seminar at the Faculty of Arts, Charles University in Prague.
The Prague celebrations will last three days this year and will be directed by the ARA ART organization. The theme of this year's celebrations will be Romipen (Romani-ness) and its content in the 21st century.
"We are using the term Romipen to identify a set of cultural traditions, values and ways of behaving, negotiating and performing those traditions not just within our community and family, but also in public. These are unwritten laws handed down from one generation to the next through which (among other matters) the Romani society differentiates itself from the majority," explains David Tišer, director of ARA ART and the main director of the Prague celebrations.
"As part of this year's celebrations we want to ask what Romipen basically means currently for Romani people themselves - what forms it takes, how it develops, whether it is cultivating us or holding us back," the ARA ART director said. International Romani Day is a day when Romani people worldwide celebrate the richness of their culture, remember their history, and reflect on the situations they face in the majority society and their own communities.
The unifying theme for each year is always chosen so as to reflect a current issue. This year's celebrations are under the theme of Romipen, or Romani-ness and what its content and meaning can be both for the majority society and for Romani society.
The celebration program including other information for visitors is now available at www.mezinarodnidenromu.cz. The live online broadcast of the 18th annual celebrations of International Romani Day will be performed by ROMEA TV on Sunday, 8 April.
- Czech Republic: Theme of International Romani Day celebrations this year is Romipen
- VIDEO: Gala celebration for International Romani Day in Prague
- VIDEO: Discussion of International Romani Day at the European Parliament
- PHOTO GALLERY: Brno celebrations of International Romani Day - ribbons on the Tree of Tolerance, program at Hvězdička Park
- Evening commemoration of European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day 2 August in Czech capital - Leperiben: We Do Not Forget
- Araceli Cañadas Ortega: Romani women are the roots that feed our communities with care and love
- Romani woman on the front lines of COVID-19: Interview with a nurse in the Czech capital
- EU Commissioners greet the Roma on International Romani Day
- KHAMORO World Romani Festival marks International Romani Day with online anthem performance
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights on International Romani Day: Segregated schools are the shame of our country
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner thanks Roma for their aid during COVID-19 and wishes them well on International Romani Day
- Romani and non-Romani figures from the Czech Republic send greetings on International Romani Day: But bacht the sasťipen!
- Slovak President greets Romani people for International Romani Day: Paľikerav tumenge. Džanav mištes hoj jekhetane koda keraha
- Coronavirus: Three Lessons for International Roma Day
- Today International Romani Day celebrated worldwide to mark the beginning of the Romani movement
- Czech Republic's International Romani Day celebrations online: ARA ART holds gala evening "From One Living Room to Another"