Iveta Bílková: Czech society should not tolerate words like "Cigán", "Cigoši", etc.
[This opinion piece is responding to a previous commentary by Patrik Banga, "Social media is depriving us of context and driving us all crazy"]
I would like to express my opinion about the recent events that happened on the television program "Your Face Has a Famous Voice" and the other excesses associated with that affair. Personally, I do not consider the reaction on social media to have been a "campaign" or an unjustified attack on TV Nova or the performer Zach when the "Gipsy Kings" music came up for him to lip-synch to.
I am convinced that in the 21st century, words like "Cigán", "Cigoši" and other similar names have no business being used in this society. That kind of designation for Romani people is unacceptable.
I dare say the choice to use the "Gipsy Kings" music could have even been TV Nova taking revenge for a different controversy that was unleashed when one of the contestants on that same program performed an imitation of the late Romani singer Věra Bílá. Speaking as a Romani woman, I cannot imagine going to deal with the authorities here and being referred to by a state employee as a "Cigoška".
Naturally, anybody who did that would just be "joking". Why are we so anxious about this recent case?
A remark made in private is different from one that hundreds of thousands of people hear. If it can happen on television, then I guess I'd have to accept being designated with such a term in the workplace, for example.
Why not? As a Romani woman I am not considered equal to the majority society - apparently, this society will never accept me as a full-fledged inhabitant of this country.
Even if I ignore all the babbling and complaining about this through social media that some commentators find so petty, I must agree with the complaint that was filed with the Council on Radio and Television Broadcasting about this episode. On the one hand, we should complain out of respect for the artists in the "Gipsy Kings" who, alongside Věra Bílá, have been promoting Romani culture on the world scene, while on the other hand we should complain in order to condemn the behavior of the representatives of TV Nova, who apparently are overflowing with antigypsyism and have no intention of honoring the principles of 21st-century Europe.
- Czech Ice Hockey Union fines club because its fans called Romani player a "gypsy", cites World Romani Congress
- International Network against Cyber Hate and ROMEA hold conference on antigypsyism and online hate in Czech capital
- Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini faces criticism for calling Romani woman a "dirty gypsy"
- Antigypsyist hoax returns to Czech Internet alleging that Roma get free public transportation
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Slovak Police investigating hateful, antigypsyist Facebook post
- VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
- Young teacher describes how antigypsyism is alive and well in Czech primary education
- Rom vs. "Gypsy"
- HOAX: Romani actor allegedly "forbidden" by NGO to use the word "gypsy"
- Romani actor from Czech TV sitcom apologizes for using the word "gypsy" in an interview
- Monika Mihaličková: Czech President should take a look in the mirror and give himself a slap - "gypsy" is an insulting term
- Romani Rose: Society must condemn antigypsyism just as it condemns antisemitism
- Czech bodybuilder fined for approving of murder of Romani man, he appeals
- Civil society skeptical as to whether EU Member States will align with European Commission's 10-year Roma Strategy
- Facebook will delete posts denying or distorting the Holocaust, ignorance of it among youth one reason
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Portugueuse police ordered to remove racist tattoos
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- European Commission VP Věra Jourová: Not enough was done during the last decade for Roma, the EC is launching a new 10-year plan
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- Commentary: What are the Romani candidates running for the fascists in the Czech Republic thinking?
- Romani candidate in Czech regional elections says politicians don't have to be corrupt
- Czech court sentences perpetrator to five years for racist assault on Romani man, both defense and prosecution considering appeal