Iveta Bílková: Czech society should not tolerate words like "Cigán", "Cigoši", etc.
[This opinion piece is responding to a previous commentary by Patrik Banga, "Social media is depriving us of context and driving us all crazy"]
I would like to express my opinion about the recent events that happened on the television program "Your Face Has a Famous Voice" and the other excesses associated with that affair. Personally, I do not consider the reaction on social media to have been a "campaign" or an unjustified attack on TV Nova or the performer Zach when the "Gipsy Kings" music came up for him to lip-synch to.
I am convinced that in the 21st century, words like "Cigán", "Cigoši" and other similar names have no business being used in this society. That kind of designation for Romani people is unacceptable.
I dare say the choice to use the "Gipsy Kings" music could have even been TV Nova taking revenge for a different controversy that was unleashed when one of the contestants on that same program performed an imitation of the late Romani singer Věra Bílá. Speaking as a Romani woman, I cannot imagine going to deal with the authorities here and being referred to by a state employee as a "Cigoška".
Naturally, anybody who did that would just be "joking". Why are we so anxious about this recent case?
A remark made in private is different from one that hundreds of thousands of people hear. If it can happen on television, then I guess I'd have to accept being designated with such a term in the workplace, for example.
Why not? As a Romani woman I am not considered equal to the majority society - apparently, this society will never accept me as a full-fledged inhabitant of this country.
Even if I ignore all the babbling and complaining about this through social media that some commentators find so petty, I must agree with the complaint that was filed with the Council on Radio and Television Broadcasting about this episode. On the one hand, we should complain out of respect for the artists in the "Gipsy Kings" who, alongside Věra Bílá, have been promoting Romani culture on the world scene, while on the other hand we should complain in order to condemn the behavior of the representatives of TV Nova, who apparently are overflowing with antigypsyism and have no intention of honoring the principles of 21st-century Europe.
- Czech Ice Hockey Union fines club because its fans called Romani player a "gypsy", cites World Romani Congress
- International Network against Cyber Hate and ROMEA hold conference on antigypsyism and online hate in Czech capital
- Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini faces criticism for calling Romani woman a "dirty gypsy"
- Antigypsyist hoax returns to Czech Internet alleging that Roma get free public transportation
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Slovak Police investigating hateful, antigypsyist Facebook post
- VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
- Young teacher describes how antigypsyism is alive and well in Czech primary education
- Rom vs. "Gypsy"
- HOAX: Romani actor allegedly "forbidden" by NGO to use the word "gypsy"
- Romani actor from Czech TV sitcom apologizes for using the word "gypsy" in an interview
- Monika Mihaličková: Czech President should take a look in the mirror and give himself a slap - "gypsy" is an insulting term
- Romani Rose: Society must condemn antigypsyism just as it condemns antisemitism
- Czech MP who compared Muslim immigrants to "invasive species" will not be stripped of immunity from prosecution
- As US protests continue against police murder, ROMEA recalls 2016 case of Romani man who died in police custody under circumstances like George Floyd
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Celebrity rejected by Czech real estate agency because of Romani surname: "It was a shock"
- Czech court returns to case of hateful online comments about non-"white" first-graders, but witnesses fail to appear
- Hungarian Supreme Court: Romani children deserve financial compensation for school segregation
- Ukraine: Racists attack Romani family of four, setting fire to their home and threatening a pregnant woman with rape
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Karolína Bánomová: Saste Roma – Info pal o koronavirus can be trusted about COVID-19, ignore the brainwashing conspiracy theories
- Commentary: CNN Prima begins its Czech-language broadcasting with stereotypes about Romani people
- Patrik Banga: Police officer who beat Romani children in Slovakia must be fired, he relied on "cigoši" not complaining
- Slovak President asks for explanation of incident in which police officer brutalized young children in Romani settlement