Jan Cverčko: Romale, vote for Jiří Drahoš!
In the first round of voting for president it has been demonstrated that the current Czech President, Miloš Zeman, is not as dominant as it seemed - personally, I voted for Michal Horáček, and he deserves all honor and respect in defeat. Unfortunately, he was not selected for the second round, and I really regret that, because I can imagine him as a decent, humane, wise President of the Czech Republic.
For that reason I would like to wish him a great deal of success in his personal and professional life. I also wish him and his family a great deal of good health, happiness and ease.
Now we have the second round of the direct elections for President ahead of us, and the choice is between Jiří Drahoš and Miloš Zeman. I read a commentary on the Facebook social networking site recently about how the Romani residents of the Chánov housing estate were encouraged to go vote.
Well, "encouraged" - it was more like they were reproached in advance for low turnout. Then I read an article on Romea.cz reporting that Horáček got almost 70 % of the vote there.
Those voters deserve our big thanks for turning out. I would like call upon all Romani people, not just those living in the Czech Republic, but also those living abroad, to support Jiří Drahoš in the second round of the elections this coming weekend.
If your participation is the same as it was during the first round, Miloš Zeman might finally be able to retire and enjoy the rest of his life in peace and quiet. I do believe, I am convinced, that Jiří Drahoš will be a good president and that he will not further divide this society.
A President Drahoš will not condemn people on the basis of ignorance and prejudice and mainly, he will not lie in public. Romale, your next vote is clear.
That vote is for Jiří Drahoš. Thanks in advance to all who support him in the second round of the direct presidential election.
- Czech President attempts to smear opponent as "pro-immigration" - but their views are the same on that issue
- Czech presidential candidate Horáček thanks Roma for voting, supports Drahoš in second round
- Czech presidential election second round will apparently be Drahoš v Zeman
- Czech presidential candidate welcomes buyout of farm on site of former concentration camp for Roma
- Hungarian PM announces "national consultation" about whether to compensate Romani families whose children were educated in segregated settings
- Czech bookstore fires clerk for racially insulting Romani colleague on social media
- Romani fashion designer Pavel Berky joins the top 16 round of the Czech edition of the MasterChef competition
- Irena Biháriová: I will not let the extremists own the streets
- German academic institution to hold seminar on the influence of ethnic discrimination on Romani health
- Jarmila Balážová: Is the boundary of what is excusable being pushed beyond all recognition?
- Czech Republic: Driver runs into Romani boy in crosswalk, shouts racist abuse at him and drives off
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency to publish results of research with Roma and Travellers in six EU Member States
- Czech director of "The Painted Bird": All it takes here is to be different and you've got a problem
- Slovak President Čaputová awards Romani doctor and human rights activist with state honors
- Czech expert says haters' attention is fixating on Roma again, "migration" as a subject is over
- Czech President Havel protested against the wall separating non-Roma from Roma on Matiční Street 20 years ago