Jan Cverčko: Romale, vote for Jiří Drahoš!
In the first round of voting for president it has been demonstrated that the current Czech President, Miloš Zeman, is not as dominant as it seemed - personally, I voted for Michal Horáček, and he deserves all honor and respect in defeat. Unfortunately, he was not selected for the second round, and I really regret that, because I can imagine him as a decent, humane, wise President of the Czech Republic.
For that reason I would like to wish him a great deal of success in his personal and professional life. I also wish him and his family a great deal of good health, happiness and ease.
Now we have the second round of the direct elections for President ahead of us, and the choice is between Jiří Drahoš and Miloš Zeman. I read a commentary on the Facebook social networking site recently about how the Romani residents of the Chánov housing estate were encouraged to go vote.
Well, "encouraged" - it was more like they were reproached in advance for low turnout. Then I read an article on Romea.cz reporting that Horáček got almost 70 % of the vote there.
Those voters deserve our big thanks for turning out. I would like call upon all Romani people, not just those living in the Czech Republic, but also those living abroad, to support Jiří Drahoš in the second round of the elections this coming weekend.
If your participation is the same as it was during the first round, Miloš Zeman might finally be able to retire and enjoy the rest of his life in peace and quiet. I do believe, I am convinced, that Jiří Drahoš will be a good president and that he will not further divide this society.
A President Drahoš will not condemn people on the basis of ignorance and prejudice and mainly, he will not lie in public. Romale, your next vote is clear.
That vote is for Jiří Drahoš. Thanks in advance to all who support him in the second round of the direct presidential election.
- Czech President attempts to smear opponent as "pro-immigration" - but their views are the same on that issue
- Czech presidential candidate Horáček thanks Roma for voting, supports Drahoš in second round
- Czech presidential election second round will apparently be Drahoš v Zeman
- Czech presidential candidate welcomes buyout of farm on site of former concentration camp for Roma
- British MPs reject Brexit agreement - what now for the EU citizens of Roma origin there?
- Commentary: Four years for terrorism is a mockery - and others should have been tried
- How were Romani members of the Czechoslovak Legionnaires rewarded for their service?
- Yet another Czech town bans housing benefits, opposition politician and Romani NGO object
- Commentary: Czech President Zeman's racism and Romani people
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Italian Deputy Prime Minister says EU Justice Commissioner's critique of Italy's treatment of Roma is "nonsense"
- Czech organization remembers the Nazi genocide and aids its Romani victims
- Portugal: Christian radio station awarded prize for working to reduce inter-ethnic tension in Slovakia
- Slovakia: Two-day meeting of V4 presidents was to cover Romani community issues, among other matters
- Czech elections: 13 Romani local assembly members, no Romani senators
- European Roma flood Facebook with hundreds of photos of themselves at work, tell Czech President to stop insulting them