Jan Dužda: Vaccination is the most effective weapon against COVID-19, Czech authorities need to campaign about its effects and importance
According to Jan Dužda, the Regional Coordinator of the Effective Health Support program who works for the National Institute of Public Health in the Czech Republic, vaccination is the most effective method for stopping the spread of the COVID-19 epidemic in the long run both domestically and worldwide. Dužda discussed the issue during an interview for public broadcaster Czech Radio and its program "O Roma Vakeren" ("The Roma are Speaking").
"About vaccinations, certain misunderstandings predominate and our clients are afraid of side effects. However, they are relying on just one information source, a media outlet or Facebook, and they are not receiving data directly from experts," he said, adding that information about the pandemic or vaccination against the COVID-19 disease is something that his program is giving clients with a minimum amount of delay.
"We get such this information quite quickly and we then redistribute it. We inform our clients about how the material in the vaccine works and that it is not demonstrating any destructive repercussions. We're at the very beginning of its use, though, which makes it more difficult," he said, adding that in his view, some Romani people are among those denying the existence of the pandemic and allowing themselves to be influenced by different conspiracy theories.
"I believe this is quite individual. Some older Romani people perceive this as necessary to their protection, others don't believe it. However, it greatly depends on which social bubble they spend time in and to what extent they have access to information. Younger Romani people certainly have that access," he said.
"Our task is to inform people about when it will be their turn and what effects the vaccine does have," he said, adding that it would be ideal to undertake a massive campaign to inform people about the effects of the vaccine and the importance of vaccination itself. "Ideally we would see it everywhere we go - on television, on the radio, in public transport, in waiting rooms at doctor's offices. Brief, accurate information. Then the doubts, naturally, will be eliminated. If we vaccinate two-thirds of the people living here, the vaccination should work and this coronavirus should move into a controllable phase."
The fact that a stormy discussion about vaccination against COVID-19 is underway among Romani community members was confirmed by a recent live broadcast on ROMEA TV during which viewers were able to ask questions of Dr Marie Nejedlá of the National Institute of Public Health. Dr Nejedlá is leading the Effective Health Support program where Dužda works, which is focused on supporting the health of persons at risk of poverty and social exclusion.
- Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
- Vaccinations against COVID-19 - how is the Romani community in the Czech Republic responding?
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- MEP Peter Pollák, a Romani community member from Slovakia, posts footage of his vaccination against COVID-19 to combat conspiracy theories influencing the community
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- Czech court orders director of housing corporation to apologize to Romani community member for abusive remarks
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Jarmila Balážová: What does the stormy debate in the Czech Republic about the TV series featuring Romani performers show us?
- Vojtěch Lavička: Czech TV show featuring Romani guys in drag is low "humor" of the fifth-rate category
- Czech ecumenical service sends wishes of good fortune and good health to Romani people on their day
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Czech census official tells ROMEA TV all identifying information will be removed from census forms to guarantee anonymity
- Slovak investigation into police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement last year still ongoing
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here