Jan Horvát: Romani people must unite over the death in Žatec. We can't ignore it!
I, too, am following the situation around the death of our Romani brother - it is cruel and horrible. I haven't written anything for a long time, but like the rest of you, I cannot remain calm after this incident.
However, fortunately, I see a new phenomenon here: Articles are being written, the social networking sites are full of news of the death of this Romani man in Žatec. Romani people are taking interest in their fellow Roma.
This is not about one or even 10 Romani activists - there are hundreds of us who are not indifferent to this incident. When we watch the video footage recorded by a bystander in the pizzeria, our hearts ache.
We feel for the family of the deceased and our emotions are strong. The Roma are back.
Yes, it is necessary to stick together, to follow this issue closely, to support the family, at least by attending a memorial demonstration. The authorities and the majority society need to notice that we disagree with this, that we can't ignore it - next time they might be beating us, or maybe even our own children?!
This situation is the worst nightmare of any parent. Speaking for myself, I run a pub, and I have experienced many conflicts with customers.
Some customers are garrulous, some are intrusive, some are rude, but most are just seeking attention. Naturallly you can find aggressors among them as well, I have experienced those too, but I have certainly never needed a barman who was also a martial arts master or a commando of police officers to handle them.
It was not necessary to lie down on top of this aggressor, to kick him with the assistance of the police, to stomp on his neck! To say nothing of doing all of that to the troublemaker for so long that he dies!
I know it's sometimes difficult, but police officers are not supposed to be judges and executioners too. They should have turned the guy over to the relevant authorities, eventually to stand trial - but instead, he has died under strange circumstances.
May he rest in peace. Again, I say to you: We can't ignore this!
This is not the first suspicious death of a Romani man on the territory of the Czech Republic for which it is possible that nobody will ever be punished. The first step for us should be for us Roma to hold the biggest possible, quiet, reverent demonstration.
I don't mean hundreds of people - I mean thousands. Let's join forces and organize a gigantic reverent demonstration, the likes of which has never been seen before, because this is the only way that anybody will listen to us!
I have a simple idea for how to get that many of us to such an assembly. Each Romani civic association should send at least one bus full of Romani people and cover the costs of hiring it.
Any association should be able to bear such a cost. We must do this.
I believe there is strength in numbers. People need to see that this bothers thousands of Romani people, not just hundreds.
This is the only way they will ever take us seriously. They cannot teach each other to kill our children with impunity, we've already lived through that, since the days when the aristocracy and the wealthy gentlemen used to hunt us through the forests like animals.
I firmly believe you all will read this message, take it into consideration, and that many leaders of associations will make the necessary arrangements. I believe it is worth taking such action.
- Five assemblies scheduled internationally to mark the death of a young Romani man in Žatec
- Anonymous eyewitness describes Romani man falling silent after punch to head
- Denisa Havrľová: We must all protest together, nobody has the right to take somebody else's life!
- Czech Republic: Memorial assembly this Thursday in Ostrava over Romani man's death in Žatec
- Czech Republic: Memorial assembly and march this Thursday in Žatec over Romani man's death
- Miroslav Kováč on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: Latent institutional racism, lack of respect for human life
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council demand thorough investigation of Romani man's death as soon as possible
- Radim Kupec on the death of Romani man in Žatec: The essence of equality is justice
- Czech Republic: Video of Romani assembly in Žatec on 20 October
- Gejza Horváth cancels appearance at Roma Spirit award over death of a Romani man in Žatec
- Renáta Kováčová on the death of the Romani man in Žatec: Exonerating autopsy results impossible to believe
- Tomáš Ščuka on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: We do not support antigypsyism and we insist on objectivity!
- Lucie Oračková on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: Czech Police are not protecting us
- The final hours of life of the young Romani man who died at a Czech pizzeria
- Czech Republic: Pizzeria management says Romani man who died there attacked customers, who "detained him until police arrived"
- Michal Miko on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: What next?
- Czech Police said to have prevented parents of deceased Romani man from seeing his body before the autopsy
- Stanislava Ondová: I'm beginning to no longer feel safe in our Czech Republic
- Eyewitness says assailants shouting racist abuse and beating Romani man before he died were in full view of Czech Police
- Patrik Banga: Dear Czech Police, 27-year-olds do not just up and die
- Romani music celebrity supports "Go For Your Dream" project at Czech shopping centers
- Třebíč, Czech Republic commemorates anniversary of Holocaust transports from there
- Czech "November Challenge" against racism and xenophobia responds to online racist death threats against children and more
- Czech Republic: KHAMORO World Roma Festival features discussion on Romani literature, presentation of RomArchive
- Czech state prosecutor rejects complaint from family of Romani man who died in presence of police
- Czech Republic: International Romani Day 2017 - events country-wide
- Czech prosecutor to review police procedure in case of Romani man who died in pizzeria
- Czech Govt Roma Council discusses death case, Romani representatives express growing sense of danger
- VIDEO: Father of deceased Romani man says he has filed complaint against suspension of investigation
- VIDEO: Czech Police proceeded incorrectly, attorney for family of deceased Romani man says
- Czech Police find no crime was committed in death of Romani man last fall
- Czech investigation into death of Romani man in a pizzeria will announce findings at press conference