Jan Horváth: We need a better President of the Czech Republic. Kampel amenge feder prezidentos
The highest representative of any state should represent the nation. That means being its protector, its spokesperson, and defending the rights of all its citizens equally.
Unfortunately, the current Czech President just defends the interests of those on his side. He absolutely ignores the interests of immigrants and minorities and takes advantage of the opportunity to insult them on all occasions.
The Romani minority is a thorn in the eye of this particular constitutional official. During his inauguration he pledged and promised to be the President of all citizens of the Czech Republic.
The opposite is in fact the case. I recall how, during one of his visits to the regions, a Romani woman asked him his opinion of Romani people.
His answer was this: "Romani people should stop destroying apartments and should go work, and then I will consider them normal people." According to him, nobody Romani works, we just live on welfare.
That is a big delusion, an enormous lie that he constantly repeats on any and every occasion. He is mainly applauded for it by those who have only ever seen Romani people through the windows of a fast train, who have never gotten to know Romani culture and the lives of ordinary Romani people.
The prejudices that the vast majority of Czech people hold against us are the driving force behind discrimination and racism here. I believe and hope that the next President will comprehend that we Romani people are lawful citizens of this state of ours and that the next President will really represent us all.
It is up to us whom we will vote for. The President should be a decent, honest person, somebody without prejudices who will defend the interests of all citizens of the Czech Republic.
Our neighbor, Slovakia, has a good President who visits the settlements, knows the Romani communities and defends their interests. Kiska is a President for all, Zeman is just President for some.
Kampel amenge feder prezidentos
Nekhbareder raj andro kada them bi majinelas te vakerel pal savore nipi. Te sajinel len, parnen the kalen. Zijand Devleske, amaro prezidentos paťal čak kolenge, ko les ašaren. Le Romen the migranten čak phenel tele.
Romano nipos na kamel. Soľacharďas, hoj bečelinela savore nipen. Kajča oda nane čačo. Leperav, sar jekh Romňi lestar phučelas, sar dikhel le Romen. Jov phenďas: „Sar o Roma naphagerena peskere khera the kerena buťi, avka ena lačhe manuša.“
Pal leste amen savore nakamas te kerel buťi u las sociálka. Ada chochaviben mindig vakerel. O manuša, save dikhle le Romen pal o richlikos, leske paťan. Šoha napridžarde romaňi kultura the dživipen Romengero. Ada savoro hin načačipen, rasismus the diskriminacija.
Paťav, hoj o nevo prezidentos achaľola le Romen, the šigitinela amenge. Hin čak pre amende, kas volinaha. Pre Slovensko hin lačho prezidentos, phirel maškar o Roma, pindžarel le Romen u šigitinel lenge. Hin prezidentos savorenge. O Zeman čak varesavenge.
This article was published as part of a longstanding collaboration between news server Romea.cz and the newspaper Romano hangos.
- Renata Berkyová for DVTV: Even the Czech President doesn't know how to honor the memory of Lety, the pig farm remains
- Karel Holomek: Czech President's proposal to leave pig farm on genocide site is out of touch
- Czech presidential candidate says pig farm on site of former concentration camp for Roma must be demolished
- Czech Romani Holocaust survivor relative responds to President Zeman: Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia was responsible for Lety
- Romania: 37-year-old Roma man alleges police brutality, European Court of Human Rights has found the state liable for more than 20 such violations since 2015
- Czech Refugee Facilities Administration caves in to racist invective from Bílina and will not accommodate Romani refugees from Ukraine with a private property owner
- Commentary: Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner declares her strong opposition to racially-motivated differential treatment of refugees, calls for solidarity
- Brno cancels new refugee camp idea after overwhelming criticism and pressure from Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner to negotiate on the situation of Romani refugees
- Brno, Czech Republic: 50 people protest city's treatment of Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Republic's second-largest city to see day of demonstrations tomorrow against treatment of Romani refugees and their children
- Czech city to raze apartment buildings where local council briefly fenced off Romani residents from view after their non-Romani neighbors complained
- Czech mayor makes openly racist statement that her town just wants "white" refugees from Ukraine, not children and women of Romani origin
- USA: Racist murderer in Buffalo, New York charged with hate crimes, faces death penalty
- Slovakia to compensate Romani victims of police brutality after nine years of judicial procedures
- Petr Torák, MBE, refused restaurant service in Czech capital because he is Romani - interview will broadcast in Czech at 20:00 CET
- Czech Police tell public broadcaster that of more than 5 000 Romani refugees from Ukraine who have been vetted, just 150 have Hungarian passports