Jan Horváth: We need a better President of the Czech Republic. Kampel amenge feder prezidentos
The highest representative of any state should represent the nation. That means being its protector, its spokesperson, and defending the rights of all its citizens equally.
Unfortunately, the current Czech President just defends the interests of those on his side. He absolutely ignores the interests of immigrants and minorities and takes advantage of the opportunity to insult them on all occasions.
The Romani minority is a thorn in the eye of this particular constitutional official. During his inauguration he pledged and promised to be the President of all citizens of the Czech Republic.
The opposite is in fact the case. I recall how, during one of his visits to the regions, a Romani woman asked him his opinion of Romani people.
His answer was this: "Romani people should stop destroying apartments and should go work, and then I will consider them normal people." According to him, nobody Romani works, we just live on welfare.
That is a big delusion, an enormous lie that he constantly repeats on any and every occasion. He is mainly applauded for it by those who have only ever seen Romani people through the windows of a fast train, who have never gotten to know Romani culture and the lives of ordinary Romani people.
The prejudices that the vast majority of Czech people hold against us are the driving force behind discrimination and racism here. I believe and hope that the next President will comprehend that we Romani people are lawful citizens of this state of ours and that the next President will really represent us all.
It is up to us whom we will vote for. The President should be a decent, honest person, somebody without prejudices who will defend the interests of all citizens of the Czech Republic.
Our neighbor, Slovakia, has a good President who visits the settlements, knows the Romani communities and defends their interests. Kiska is a President for all, Zeman is just President for some.
Kampel amenge feder prezidentos
Nekhbareder raj andro kada them bi majinelas te vakerel pal savore nipi. Te sajinel len, parnen the kalen. Zijand Devleske, amaro prezidentos paťal čak kolenge, ko les ašaren. Le Romen the migranten čak phenel tele.
Romano nipos na kamel. Soľacharďas, hoj bečelinela savore nipen. Kajča oda nane čačo. Leperav, sar jekh Romňi lestar phučelas, sar dikhel le Romen. Jov phenďas: „Sar o Roma naphagerena peskere khera the kerena buťi, avka ena lačhe manuša.“
Pal leste amen savore nakamas te kerel buťi u las sociálka. Ada chochaviben mindig vakerel. O manuša, save dikhle le Romen pal o richlikos, leske paťan. Šoha napridžarde romaňi kultura the dživipen Romengero. Ada savoro hin načačipen, rasismus the diskriminacija.
Paťav, hoj o nevo prezidentos achaľola le Romen, the šigitinela amenge. Hin čak pre amende, kas volinaha. Pre Slovensko hin lačho prezidentos, phirel maškar o Roma, pindžarel le Romen u šigitinel lenge. Hin prezidentos savorenge. O Zeman čak varesavenge.
This article was published as part of a longstanding collaboration between news server Romea.cz and the newspaper Romano hangos.
- Renata Berkyová for DVTV: Even the Czech President doesn't know how to honor the memory of Lety, the pig farm remains
- Karel Holomek: Czech President's proposal to leave pig farm on genocide site is out of touch
- Czech presidential candidate says pig farm on site of former concentration camp for Roma must be demolished
- Czech Romani Holocaust survivor relative responds to President Zeman: Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia was responsible for Lety
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Czech MP says his assistant's remark that refugees could be killed with machine guns does not bother him
- Czech court to try Islamophobes who attacked Muslim couple in a park last year
- French lawmaker, victimized herself by online hate, drafts law against it
- USA: Neo-Nazi gets life in prison for the Charlottesville massacre
- Commentary: Truth vs. oligarchy, populism and xenophobia
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains
- Czech Police investigating hateful online comments inciting violence against Czech Radio reporter that were sparked by politician
- UK court sentences neo-Nazis for threats against Prince Harry because of his marriage to Meghan Markle
- Czech politician appeals sentence for his hateful remarks about minorities
- Czech prosecutor appeals after court acquits online hater of saying dark-skinned first-graders should be gassed to death
- Czech restaurant chain apologizes to Romani musician for refusal of service