Jarmila Balážová, renowned journalist from the Romani community, joining commercial Czech online news server
The Seznam Zprávy news team is being expanded this month to include more journalists with many years of experience working for leading Czech media outlets. One is the journalist and moderator Jarmila Balážová, who is designing new formats for the news server's interviews and reportage.
"I really identify with Seznam, they are the number one Internet news server guaranteeing both professionalism and quality. Many people whom I respect work there. For that very reason I am really looking forward to this work and to my colleagues," she told news server Romea.cz.
Balážová is a recipient of the prestigious Karel Havlíček Borovský Award and has worked for public broadcaster Czech Radio, where on the previous editorial team of Czech Radio 6 she regularly crafted discussion programs, interviews, and radio portraits. She also worked for public broadcaster Czech Television as a dramaturg of programs for children and youth and is the author of several documentary films broadcast by Czech Television in their "Children of the Moment" (Děti okamžiku) series.
She later was a contributor to and moderator for the program "Foam Days" (Pěna dní) and ran her own program, "Interviews" (Rozhovory). In the year 2002 she moderated a talk show for the commercial TV NOVA broadcaster.
Balážová was also the Editor-in-Chief of the monthly print magazines Amaro gendalos ("Our Mirror") and Romano voďi ("Romani Soul") and moderated the programs "10 Minute Insight" (Desetiminutovka) and "Three" ("Trin") for ROMEA TV, the first Internet television channel with Romani content established by the ROMEA organization, which she co-founded and is a member of its managing board. She has also worked as the press spokesperson for the Czech Government Human Rights Minister and for the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport.
- Jarmila Balážová now a member of the Barvalipe Academy of the European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture
- Jarmila Balážová on the Czech Government Romani Integration Strategy
- Jarmila Balážová says ParlamentníListy.cz case not the only one in the Czech media
- Jarmila Balážová: Havel will always be a symbol of freedom for me!
- Jarmila Balážová: Even Romani loan sharks won’t be taboo for us
- Czech commercial television station broadcast racist jokes on Christmas, broadcast council warns they broke the law
- Czech Human Rights Commissioner to stay in office, most civil society members of Human Rights Council support her
- Czech mayor who failed to tackle "white flight" publicly curses nonprofits and Romani people, Agency for Social Inclusion calls for dialogue
- Patrik Banga: Internet violence should be punished with prison
- Gipsy.cz's new video calls on adults and children to put down their phones and go outside together
- German Govt approves measures to combat right-wing extremism, requires social media firms to report IP addresses of users making death threats
- Czech ombudswoman: Haters online frequently refuse to admit to themselves that they could be breaking the law
- Zdeněk Ryšavý: Online hate - what can we do? Welcoming remarks at the 2019 Annual Conference of the International Network against Cyber Hate (INACH)
- LIVE BROADCAST: International Conference on Antigypsyism and Hate Speech Online
- European experts say hatred online endangers democracy, nonprofits are monitoring social media response to it
- Pavel Botoš: Who will stop the use of terms like "cigoši" in the Czech Republic?
- Roma are most frequently targeted by hatred on the Czech Internet, experts say the law applies online too