Jarmila Balážová, renowned journalist from the Romani community, joining commercial Czech online news server
The Seznam Zprávy news team is being expanded this month to include more journalists with many years of experience working for leading Czech media outlets. One is the journalist and moderator Jarmila Balážová, who is designing new formats for the news server's interviews and reportage.
"I really identify with Seznam, they are the number one Internet news server guaranteeing both professionalism and quality. Many people whom I respect work there. For that very reason I am really looking forward to this work and to my colleagues," she told news server Romea.cz.
Balážová is a recipient of the prestigious Karel Havlíček Borovský Award and has worked for public broadcaster Czech Radio, where on the previous editorial team of Czech Radio 6 she regularly crafted discussion programs, interviews, and radio portraits. She also worked for public broadcaster Czech Television as a dramaturg of programs for children and youth and is the author of several documentary films broadcast by Czech Television in their "Children of the Moment" (Děti okamžiku) series.
She later was a contributor to and moderator for the program "Foam Days" (Pěna dní) and ran her own program, "Interviews" (Rozhovory). In the year 2002 she moderated a talk show for the commercial TV NOVA broadcaster.
Balážová was also the Editor-in-Chief of the monthly print magazines Amaro gendalos ("Our Mirror") and Romano voďi ("Romani Soul") and moderated the programs "10 Minute Insight" (Desetiminutovka) and "Three" ("Trin") for ROMEA TV, the first Internet television channel with Romani content established by the ROMEA organization, which she co-founded and is a member of its managing board. She has also worked as the press spokesperson for the Czech Government Human Rights Minister and for the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport.
- Jarmila Balážová now a member of the Barvalipe Academy of the European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture
- Jarmila Balážová on the Czech Government Romani Integration Strategy
- Jarmila Balážová says ParlamentníListy.cz case not the only one in the Czech media
- Jarmila Balážová: Havel will always be a symbol of freedom for me!
- Jarmila Balážová: Even Romani loan sharks won’t be taboo for us
- Slovak NGO reports that Romani children from excluded localities lack the online distance learning option
- Czech court returns to case of hateful online comments about non-"white" first-graders, but witnesses fail to appear
- Karolína Bánomová: Saste Roma – Info pal o koronavirus can be trusted about COVID-19, ignore the brainwashing conspiracy theories
- Two men in Czech Republic indicted for approving of neo-Nazi terrorism in Christchurch, New Zealand
- Romani and non-Romani figures from the Czech Republic send greetings on International Romani Day: But bacht the sasťipen!
- European Commission sending millions of euro for independent media to combat disinformation
- Czech lower house committee suspends discussion of stripping ultranationalist MP of immunity from prosecution for xenophobic remarks
- Slovakia's TV Romana to be carried by the Orange TV satellite network
- Czech Republic declares state of emergency over coronavirus pandemic, International Romani Day celebrations postponed
- Czech Prosecutor General working with OSCE to prosecute hate speech more effectively
- European Commission seeks public feedback on European Social Fund activities, deadline 24 February
- Czech commercial television station broadcast racist jokes on Christmas, broadcast council warns they broke the law