Jarmila Balážová, renowned journalist from the Romani community, joining commercial Czech online news server
The Seznam Zprávy news team is being expanded this month to include more journalists with many years of experience working for leading Czech media outlets. One is the journalist and moderator Jarmila Balážová, who is designing new formats for the news server's interviews and reportage.
"I really identify with Seznam, they are the number one Internet news server guaranteeing both professionalism and quality. Many people whom I respect work there. For that very reason I am really looking forward to this work and to my colleagues," she told news server Romea.cz.
Balážová is a recipient of the prestigious Karel Havlíček Borovský Award and has worked for public broadcaster Czech Radio, where on the previous editorial team of Czech Radio 6 she regularly crafted discussion programs, interviews, and radio portraits. She also worked for public broadcaster Czech Television as a dramaturg of programs for children and youth and is the author of several documentary films broadcast by Czech Television in their "Children of the Moment" (Děti okamžiku) series.
She later was a contributor to and moderator for the program "Foam Days" (Pěna dní) and ran her own program, "Interviews" (Rozhovory). In the year 2002 she moderated a talk show for the commercial TV NOVA broadcaster.
Balážová was also the Editor-in-Chief of the monthly print magazines Amaro gendalos ("Our Mirror") and Romano voďi ("Romani Soul") and moderated the programs "10 Minute Insight" (Desetiminutovka) and "Three" ("Trin") for ROMEA TV, the first Internet television channel with Romani content established by the ROMEA organization, which she co-founded and is a member of its managing board. She has also worked as the press spokesperson for the Czech Government Human Rights Minister and for the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport.
- Jarmila Balážová now a member of the Barvalipe Academy of the European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture
- Jarmila Balážová says ParlamentníListy.cz case not the only one in the Czech media
- Jarmila Balážová: Havel will always be a symbol of freedom for me!
- Jarmila Balážová: Even Romani loan sharks won’t be taboo for us
- Jury of "Czechia Slovakia Has Talent" TV contest brought to tears by performance of Romani children from the Luník IX housing estate
- Albanian comedy shows feature blackface, prejudice and stereotypes about Romani people
- Jaroslav Miko on the death of a Romani man after a police intervention: It is legitimate to demand the entire incident be investigated
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for the Roma Community says biased media coverage of animal abuse could spark anti-Romani hatred
- Every Child Matters - online guide for Czech educators
- Radek Banga refuses interview for ROMEA TV, objects to articles published by news server Romea.cz and to hateful attacks against him on Czech social media
- David Tišer tells Romani actor he has given Czech society a product full of stereotypes - and no explanation why
- Jarmila Balážová: What does the stormy debate in the Czech Republic about the TV series featuring Romani performers show us?
- Performer Jan Bendig declines invitation to join discussion on ROMEA TV, issues social media statement about his TV series
- Vojtěch Lavička: Czech TV show featuring Romani guys in drag is low "humor" of the fifth-rate category
- Romani Experts Discussed Hate Speech and Antigypsyism in the Media
- LIVE NOW: Second day of conference on hate speech against Roma and Sinti in the media and how to combat it