Jaroslav Miko: Czech President shows his arrogance and lack of basic social empathy on the first day of school
On the first day of the new school year, the millionaire Miloš Zeman has managed to perfectly show off his arrogance and lack of basic social empathy. He took advantage of taxpayer money to travel in comfort on a special military aircraft to Brno so he could tell the parents of the children who attend a school that is known to serve the most impoverished children from socially excluded localities that they should be giving their children more food.
Based on his performance, I find it necessary to ask: What was the point of this costly journey? Instead of humiliating words addressed to the local parents, I would expect our highest constitutional officer to give a speech about the fact that our society has to do all it can to make sure our children don't have to live in extreme poverty, about how it is necessary, despite social difficulties, to arrange for the most equal possible access to education for all children, irrespective of background, because economic inequality cannot be allowed to become a barrier to children accessing the quality education to which they are all entitled.
What else, though, could we have expected from this person, who has long incited hatred against the Czech Roma, and not just through his lying remark that 90 % of Czech Roma don't work, right? I would really like to have a president of the Czech Republic who will not be lacking in social feeling and who will be able, through natural authority, to aid with the solutions to these enormous social and societal problems instead of intensifying them.
- Human rights activists: Czech police officers who intervened against Stanislav Tomáš should be suspended until investigations end, ban kneeling on the neck during interventions
- Jaroslav Miko on the death of a Romani man after a police intervention: It is legitimate to demand the entire incident be investigated
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council call on Radek Banga to apologize for remarks undermining the dignity of Romani people
- Jaroslav Miko: Radek Bangas remarks about the Romani community in the Czech Republic are untrue, especially his "guesstimates"
- "Czechs Are Helping" initiative to hold benefit Romani music concert to raise money for children in Greek refugee camps
- "Czechs Are Helping" Initiative says number of families willing to house children from Greek refugee camps is rising, Interior Minister unmoved
- Vojtěch Lavička: Czech law on housing benefit-free zones was an attack on human dignity
- Czech nonprofits welcome abolition of local "housing benefit-free zones", say they made matters worse
- 15th BARUVAS meeting in the Czech Republic for Romani students features theater performance about Romani history
- Czech mobile vaccination teams revisit socially excluded localities where COVID-19 disinformation has had more of an impact
- Award-winning Czech principal says schools have to develop each child to the fullest
- Czech President Zeman visits school with Romani pupils as 2021/2022 school year begins
- Czech mayors regret abolition of housing benefit-free zones, one alleges the move will "cause extremism"
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Minister proposes "expropriating" residential hotels after housing benefit-free zones declared unconstitutional
- Romani college and high school students motivate Romani pupils in excluded localities of the Czech Republic to continue their studies
- Czech Pirates sharply criticize bill to toughen welfare eligibility, delaying a vote
- Czech Republic's Sparta Prague football ultras shout racist insults and throw beer cups at Black Monaco player
- Czech mobile team has vaccinated about 100 people against COVID-19 at the Mojžíř housing estate and will visit other excluded localities