Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
The situation in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic has deteriorated significantly because of COVID-19. "Impoverished people have been impacted by the pandemic most of all," said Karel Karika, the Romani community member who is vice-mayor of the Ústí nad Labem - město Municipal Department, in an interview for ROMEA TV.
This is Karika's second time in that role; he first served as vice-mayor two years ago and was re-elected to the post after the local governing coalition fell apart. He says he wants to work for the municipality with a vision as somebody elected by the citizens, not as a bureaucrat.
"I want to concentrate on fulfilling [residents'] needs," Karika said. He also told ROMEA TV that he believes the most impoverished people in the socially excluded localities are not the ones who are succumbing to the current wave of disinformation associated with anti-vaxxer propaganda.
"The poorest of the poor actually base their behavior on people whom they know and trust. It is rather the middle class that is succumbing to this disinformation and then spreading it. I wouldn't be concerned that those who are most impoverished will not want to be vaccinated, on the contrary," he said in the interview with Jarmila Balážová.
Karika said he believes he can best aid all of his constituents from his post as vice-mayor. "In addition to other matters, I want to contribute to better communications and cooperation with the public and to carry on the work I previously did as vice-mayor and acting mayor. Unlike what has been the custom here to date, I intend to work with a vision - not as a bureaucrat, but as somebody elected by the citizens, and thereby I want to concentrate on fulfilling their needs," he said.
"My intention is to re-introduce use of the application called 'Lepší místo' [Better Place], I want to involve citizens in participatory budgeting and decision-making generally. My predecessor ignored that ferociously, but the local assembly wanted change. I still have to discuss my other projects with my coalition partners," Karika said, giving as examples the idea for an adult community center that he wants to build up in a church in the Předlice quarter, or the idea of commemorating the cultural heritage of the author Jaroslav Foglar and his "Fast Arrows" series, aimed at teenagers, who had a connection to the neighborhood.
- Vaccinations against COVID-19 - how is the Romani community in the Czech Republic responding?
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech town provides no aid as Romani families are made homeless during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- Romani community members Karel Karika and David Tišer will receive the František Kriegel Award in the Czech Republic
- Karel Karika: Benefit-free zones are absurd, the populists are abusing their power
- Karel Karika: We will rehouse all 70 people from the residential hotel on Klíšská Street
- Karel Karika, candidate for the Czech lower house: Roma must not be exploited into selling their votes
- Czech regional elections. Romani candidate for the Greens/Pirates, Karel Karika: No more socially excluded localities
- COVID-19 impacts impoverish most of humanity while the assets of the ultra-rich expand
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- Czech Constitutional Court rules against hatred on the Internet in case involving threats against children
- Community spread of Omicron reported from socially excluded locality in the Czech Republic
- Their mother almost died of COVID-19, but brothers in Czech Republic believe they have since convinced hundreds in their family to get vaccinated
- Court in the Netherlands orders far-right politician to delete tweets comparing those avoiding the COVID-19 vaccine to Jews during the Holocaust
- German counter-intelligence says right-wing extremist numbers growing as people radicalize in response to COVID-19
- Czech regions combat COVID-19 disinformation in socially excluded localities as hospitalizations soar
- Czech NGO starts campaign to support education of Romani children and non-Roma who are socially disadvantaged
- Czech Police charge dozens of online haters for attacking medical workers as Facebook blocks French and Italian accounts campaigning against vaccination with violence
- Patrik Banga: Who will be to blame for the Romani victims of COVID-19 in the Czech Republic?
- Controversial Romani figure appears with Czech extremists opposing measures to control the pandemic