Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
The situation in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic has deteriorated significantly because of COVID-19. "Impoverished people have been impacted by the pandemic most of all," said Karel Karika, the Romani community member who is vice-mayor of the Ústí nad Labem - město Municipal Department, in an interview for ROMEA TV.
This is Karika's second time in that role; he first served as vice-mayor two years ago and was re-elected to the post after the local governing coalition fell apart. He says he wants to work for the municipality with a vision as somebody elected by the citizens, not as a bureaucrat.
"I want to concentrate on fulfilling [residents'] needs," Karika said. He also told ROMEA TV that he believes the most impoverished people in the socially excluded localities are not the ones who are succumbing to the current wave of disinformation associated with anti-vaxxer propaganda.
"The poorest of the poor actually base their behavior on people whom they know and trust. It is rather the middle class that is succumbing to this disinformation and then spreading it. I wouldn't be concerned that those who are most impoverished will not want to be vaccinated, on the contrary," he said in the interview with Jarmila Balážová.
Karika said he believes he can best aid all of his constituents from his post as vice-mayor. "In addition to other matters, I want to contribute to better communications and cooperation with the public and to carry on the work I previously did as vice-mayor and acting mayor. Unlike what has been the custom here to date, I intend to work with a vision - not as a bureaucrat, but as somebody elected by the citizens, and thereby I want to concentrate on fulfilling their needs," he said.
"My intention is to re-introduce use of the application called 'Lepší místo' [Better Place], I want to involve citizens in participatory budgeting and decision-making generally. My predecessor ignored that ferociously, but the local assembly wanted change. I still have to discuss my other projects with my coalition partners," Karika said, giving as examples the idea for an adult community center that he wants to build up in a church in the Předlice quarter, or the idea of commemorating the cultural heritage of the author Jaroslav Foglar and his "Fast Arrows" series, aimed at teenagers, who had a connection to the neighborhood.
- Vaccinations against COVID-19 - how is the Romani community in the Czech Republic responding?
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech town provides no aid as Romani families are made homeless during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- Romani community members Karel Karika and David Tišer will receive the František Kriegel Award in the Czech Republic
- Karel Karika: Benefit-free zones are absurd, the populists are abusing their power
- Karel Karika: We will rehouse all 70 people from the residential hotel on Klíšská Street
- Karel Karika, candidate for the Czech lower house: Roma must not be exploited into selling their votes
- Emil Voráč: I distance myself from Romani supporters of xenophobic politicians in the Czech Republic
- Chair of Czech party says he expects local cell to call on mayor to withdraw from election in response to open letter protesting the mayor's racism
- Jaroslav Miko: Local elections are on the horizon, the Roma Luma party joining forces with Czech pseudo-patriots is incomprehensible
- Czech intelligence report on extremism mentions welfare chauvinist party as a populist, xenophobic entity once more, COVID-19 was the main focus of 2021
- Czech theater ensemble producing project about children's extremism and radicalization, "Commander"
- Czech disinformation scene sharing pro-Kremlin lies and propaganda, including from opposition and extremist politicians
- HOAX: Footage from Austrian television is not related to COVID-19, but shows climate activists demonstrating in Vienna
- Excluded Roma in Slovakia have died of COVID-19 more than non-Roma due to low rates of vaccination, their employment rates have also stagnated
- Czech court hands down three-year suspended sentence against man who approved of the Christchurch massacre
- Emil Voráč: Romani influencers keep on skirmishing with each other - how do they mesmerize their followers?
- COVID-19 impacts impoverish most of humanity while the assets of the ultra-rich expand
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity