Ladislav Body, Romani man elected MP in the former Czechoslovakia, has passed away
On Saturday, 26 November 2017 a former deputy to the Czech National Council and to the Chamber of Deputies of the Parliament of the Czech Republic, Ladislav Body, passed away at the age of 68. A relative of his has confirmed this to news server Romea.cz.
Mr Body was elected in the year 1990 on the candidate list of the Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia (KSČM) to the Czech National Council, where he became a member of the Committee for Territorial Administration and Nationality. He became a candidate thanks to collaboration between the Democratic Roma Union, in which he was active, and the KSČM.
He defended his seat during the 1992 elections, this time on the candidate list of the Left Bloc, which was a coalition between the Democratic Left, the KSČM, and other smaller left-wing groups. He then became a member of the Committee on Petitions, Human Rights and Nationality.
In January 1993, when an independent Czech Republic came into being and the Czech National Council was transformed into the Chamber of Deputies of the Parliament of the Czech Republic, Mr Body became a member of that body. While during the 1990-1992 electoral period there had been several Romani members of the highest legislative bodies of Czechoslovakia, after the 1992 elections Mr Body became the only Romani MP in the Czech Parliament after the Romani Civic Initiative lost.
Mr Body planned to run during the elections to the lower house in 1996 for the Left Bloc, but eventually withdrew his candidacy. He attempted to return to politics during the lower house elections of 1998 as a candidate for the Christian Democrats (KDU-ČSL) in the North Bohemian Region.
He was not elected on that occasion. After leaving parliamentary politics he continued to dedicate himself to Romani issues and was active for a long time as a bureaucrat at the Labor and Social Affairs Ministry of the Czech Republic, where he chaired a commission.
In 1998 Mr Body became engaged in the protests against the building of a wall on Matiční Street in Ústí nad Labem to separate non-Roma and Romani parts of a neighborhood. The construction was eventually purchased by the local zoo.
- Emílie Machálková, a Czech Romani Holocaust survivor, has passed away
- Romani jewelry designer Rosa Taikon has passed away
- Czech Republic: Ignác Zima, co-founder of the Union of Gypsies-Roma, has passed away
- Macedonia: The Queen of Romani Music, Esma Redžepova, has passed away
- Valery Novoselsky, Romani activist and founder of the Roma Virtual Network, has passed away
- Czech Republic: Romani author and journalist Gejza Demeter has passed away
- Czech Republic: Romani author Andrej Giňa has passed away
- Sir Nicholas Winton, who saved Jewish children from the Holocaust, has passed away
- Czech Republic: Romani actor and musician Milan Šenki ("Korytár") has passed away
- World-famous Spanish guitarist Paco de Lucía has passed away
- Czech activist and journalist Emil Szirmai has passed away
- Romani sculptor Ondřej Gadžor has passed away
- Romani author Emil Cina has passed away
- Roma activist and intellectual Nicolae Gheorghe has passed away
- Romani author and painter Ceija Stojka has passed away
- Czech anarchist, advocate of Romani people's rights, has passed away
- Czech Republic: Activist Václav Zástěra has passed away
- Residents of Czech neighborhood announce "Two Weeks of Vigilance" to protest their impending eviction
- Romani community member David Beňák now director of the Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion
- Hungary: József "Choli" Daróczi, translator of the New Testament into Romanes, has passed away
- Michal Mižigár: So Romani history will not be lost
- Slovakia: Meet the Romani teacher who refused to grade racist essays
- Czech Republic: Conditions for leaving the debt trap may be relaxed
- England's first Romani lawyer was born in the Czech Republic, helps domestic violence victims
- Czech MP from the far right is a trafficker in poverty
- Czech anti-immigration activist launches book on the premises of the lower house, ultra-conservatives support it
- Czech Republic: Romani broadcaster and educator Hilda Pášová has passed away
- Bosnia: Romani actor passes away in poverty after being lauded by Berlinale Film Festival in 2013
- Eduard Oláh, sculptor and stonemason who designed memorial to the Romani victims of Hodonín concentration camp, has passed away
Tags:Osobnosti, Politika, úmrtí, Wall
Italy's Lombardy Region first to conduct census of Roma and Sinti, plans to raze illegal camps, Romani organizations protesting10.7.2018 10:23
Jan Cibrik explains his collaboration with Czech city officials who are so harsh about impoverished Roma9.7.2018 20:36
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.