VIDEO: Gala celebration of International Romani Day 2019 in Prague's Archa Theater
This year's celebration of International Romani Day in Prague is culminating today, Monday 8 April, with a gala evening at the Archa Theater. The space will open to the general public at 17:00 with an NGO market.
At 19:30 the celebratory gala of music performances will begin in the main hall of the Archa. The stage will be shared by eminent celebrities from the Romani music scene, accompanied by the Milan Kroka Live Band.
Audiences can look forward, for example, to Gejza Horváth, Filip Gondolán, Marco Pill, Tereza Ondičová, Pavlína Matiová, and Erika Nováková. This year the non-Romani singer Helena Zeťová also accepted the invitation to perform.
The actor and singer Jaroslav Parči will be the master of ceremonies. The Milena Hübschmannová Prize will be awarded for the fourth time during the gala for special contribution to the Romani language, an award annually chose by the Romani Studies Seminar at the Faculty of Arts at Charles University in Prague.
There will also be the launch of the book Amendar, which introduces more than 200 significant Romani people to the Czech readership and includes a brief reminiscence about and eulogy for the late Romani singer Věra Bílá, who passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on 12 March. Tickets to the gala can be bought either at the theater or through the Goout cultural events portal online.
- VIDEO: March of Proud Roma begins International Romani Day celebrations
- International Romani Day 2019 - Events in the Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day
- Czech Republic: Romani students send video message for International Romani Day
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY: Gala awards ceremony Tajsa 2019 for Roma in the arts and culture
- Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
- Gipsy.cz's new video calls on adults and children to put down their phones and go outside together
- International Romani Language Day celebrated with readings in six Czech cities
- LIVE ONLINE BROADCAST 13:00 CET: Ceremonial awarding of certificates for ROMEA's scholarship program
- Czech Republic: Roma Pride 2019 broadcast live online by ROMEA TV
- Hollywood Reporter says "The Painted Bird", starring a Romani child actor, is among the 20 best films this year
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- ROMEA TV: Czech Republic's Gipsy Brothers band reminisces about 16 years of friendship
- "Romani Army" by Berlin-based Maxim Gorki Theater Company gets standing ovation at Czech festival
- EEA and Norway Grants will support building of memorial to Romani victims of the Holocaust at former concentration camp site
- Slovakia: Romani children from excluded communities sing Romani national anthem at the Presidential Palace