VIDEO: Gala celebration of International Romani Day 2019 in Prague's Archa Theater
This year's celebration of International Romani Day in Prague is culminating today, Monday 8 April, with a gala evening at the Archa Theater. The space will open to the general public at 17:00 with an NGO market.
At 19:30 the celebratory gala of music performances will begin in the main hall of the Archa. The stage will be shared by eminent celebrities from the Romani music scene, accompanied by the Milan Kroka Live Band.
Audiences can look forward, for example, to Gejza Horváth, Filip Gondolán, Marco Pill, Tereza Ondičová, Pavlína Matiová, and Erika Nováková. This year the non-Romani singer Helena Zeťová also accepted the invitation to perform.
The actor and singer Jaroslav Parči will be the master of ceremonies. The Milena Hübschmannová Prize will be awarded for the fourth time during the gala for special contribution to the Romani language, an award annually chose by the Romani Studies Seminar at the Faculty of Arts at Charles University in Prague.
There will also be the launch of the book Amendar, which introduces more than 200 significant Romani people to the Czech readership and includes a brief reminiscence about and eulogy for the late Romani singer Věra Bílá, who passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on 12 March. Tickets to the gala can be bought either at the theater or through the Goout cultural events portal online.
- VIDEO: March of Proud Roma begins International Romani Day celebrations
- International Romani Day 2019 - Events in the Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day
- Czech Republic: Romani students send video message for International Romani Day
- Poland: Art exhibition sparks accusations of antisemitism and other bigotries
- Čhavorenge Romani children's choir and the Czech Philharmonic perform in the Romani settlements of Slovakia
- At remembrance event, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust says Okamura is one of the Czech politicians agitating against Romani people
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT NOON: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Human rights activists: Czech police officers who intervened against Stanislav Tomáš should be suspended until investigations end, ban kneeling on the neck during interventions
- LIVE BROADCAST TOMORROW 10 AM: Press conference on the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic
- Stanislav Tomáš, who died in police custody, laid to rest in Teplice, Czech Republic. Civil society and his family call for his death to be properly investigated
- VIDEO: "Kneeling on the neck means death" - debut from Romani rapper Filip Šenki in the Czech Republic
- Czech art competition for works about the Holocaust of the Roma announces winners this week
- Romani child actor from The Painted Bird rejects tv role in the Czech Republic of "bad g*psy child"
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia