VIDEO: Gala celebration of International Romani Day 2019 in Prague's Archa Theater
This year's celebration of International Romani Day in Prague is culminating today, Monday 8 April, with a gala evening at the Archa Theater. The space will open to the general public at 17:00 with an NGO market.
At 19:30 the celebratory gala of music performances will begin in the main hall of the Archa. The stage will be shared by eminent celebrities from the Romani music scene, accompanied by the Milan Kroka Live Band.
Audiences can look forward, for example, to Gejza Horváth, Filip Gondolán, Marco Pill, Tereza Ondičová, Pavlína Matiová, and Erika Nováková. This year the non-Romani singer Helena Zeťová also accepted the invitation to perform.
The actor and singer Jaroslav Parči will be the master of ceremonies. The Milena Hübschmannová Prize will be awarded for the fourth time during the gala for special contribution to the Romani language, an award annually chose by the Romani Studies Seminar at the Faculty of Arts at Charles University in Prague.
There will also be the launch of the book Amendar, which introduces more than 200 significant Romani people to the Czech readership and includes a brief reminiscence about and eulogy for the late Romani singer Věra Bílá, who passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on 12 March. Tickets to the gala can be bought either at the theater or through the Goout cultural events portal online.
- VIDEO: March of Proud Roma begins International Romani Day celebrations
- International Romani Day 2019 - Events in the Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day
- Czech Republic: Romani students send video message for International Romani Day
- Czech town to see exhibition by pro-Romani and Romani artists referencing the Black Lives Matter movement
- LIVE BROADCAST Sunday at noon CET: European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Czech car manufacturer Škoda distances itself from video by German ultra-right rapper
- Postponed celebrations of International Romani Day to be held in Czech capital on 22 July
- Miri Fajta, a Romani production company, wins Czech short film competition, could show at Cannes
- Roma youth build music school to bring people together in the Czech Republic
- Czech Police intervene against yet another publisher of antisemitic books
- LIVE BROADCAST AT 11 AM: Winning design for future memorial at former concentration camp for Roma to be unveiled in Prague
- "Czechs Are Helping" initiative to hold benefit Romani music concert to raise money for children in Greek refugee camps
- Closed commemoration of the Roma victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku cultural heritage site
- Araceli Cañadas Ortega: Romani women are the roots that feed our communities with care and love
- Talented Romani pianist performs from his balcony in Czech town to thank medical workers