LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day
Today will be the gala launch of the Prague celebrations of International Romani Day. Celebrations will last in Prague and other locations around the entire Czech Republic until Monday, 8 April, when they will culminate in a gala evening at the Archa Theater.
ROMEA TV will be broadcasting the beginning of these celebrations live online. The official launch of this jubilee fifth year will begin at 17:30 on Václav Havel Square in Prague on the occasion of the opening of an exhibition of photographs called "Futoroma" from the workshp of the travelling Romani gallery Phundrado Vudar (Open Door).
This year the celebrations are dedicated to the memory of the late Věra Bílá, a beloved singer. There will be a book of condolences open on the square today that will remain there until 8 April for mourners to write in.
On Saturday, 6 April, a memorial concert to honor Bílá will be held at the Korunní Street theater (Divadlo v Korunní). Eminent non-Romani and Romani figures from the cultural scene and political life have confirmed their participation in that event.
International Romani Day is a day when Romani people worldwide celebrate the richness of their culture. It is also an opportunity to reflect on the issues and situations faced by Romani people on a daily basis, whether in majority societies or inside their own communities.
- Romani actor to appear in latest installment of antigypsyist Czech film series made by former 'special school' teacher
- Zuzana Kumanová becomes the first Romani woman ever appointed to high office in Slovakia
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- Czech town to see exhibition by pro-Romani and Romani artists referencing the Black Lives Matter movement
- New photos of much-maligned housing estate in the Czech Republic published by Romani association
- Czech car manufacturer Škoda distances itself from video by German ultra-right rapper
- Postponed celebrations of International Romani Day to be held in Czech capital on 22 July
- Miri Fajta, a Romani production company, wins Czech short film competition, could show at Cannes
- Roma youth build music school to bring people together in the Czech Republic
- Czech Police intervene against yet another publisher of antisemitic books
- "Czechs Are Helping" initiative to hold benefit Romani music concert to raise money for children in Greek refugee camps
- Sweden: Iconic incident of woman swatting neo-Nazi with her purse was also captured on film