LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day
Today will be the gala launch of the Prague celebrations of International Romani Day. Celebrations will last in Prague and other locations around the entire Czech Republic until Monday, 8 April, when they will culminate in a gala evening at the Archa Theater.
ROMEA TV will be broadcasting the beginning of these celebrations live online. The official launch of this jubilee fifth year will begin at 17:30 on Václav Havel Square in Prague on the occasion of the opening of an exhibition of photographs called "Futoroma" from the workshp of the travelling Romani gallery Phundrado Vudar (Open Door).
This year the celebrations are dedicated to the memory of the late Věra Bílá, a beloved singer. There will be a book of condolences open on the square today that will remain there until 8 April for mourners to write in.
On Saturday, 6 April, a memorial concert to honor Bílá will be held at the Korunní Street theater (Divadlo v Korunní). Eminent non-Romani and Romani figures from the cultural scene and political life have confirmed their participation in that event.
International Romani Day is a day when Romani people worldwide celebrate the richness of their culture. It is also an opportunity to reflect on the issues and situations faced by Romani people on a daily basis, whether in majority societies or inside their own communities.
- ROMEA TV: Czech Republic's Gipsy Brothers band reminisces about 16 years of friendship
- "Romani Army" by Berlin-based Maxim Gorki Theater Company gets standing ovation at Czech festival
- EEA and Norway Grants will support building of memorial to Romani victims of the Holocaust at former concentration camp site
- Slovakia: Romani children from excluded communities sing Romani national anthem at the Presidential Palace
- VIDEO: Gala celebration of International Romani Day 2019 in Prague's Archa Theater
- VIDEO: March of Proud Roma begins International Romani Day celebrations
- International Romani Day 2019 - Events in the Czech Republic
- Richard Samko's message to the late singer Věra Bílá: Me, nikda nazabisterav, palikerav tumege
- VIDEO: 2 000 people in Rokycany, Czech Republic, pay their respects to the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY from the Czech Republic: Funeral of the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- Romani vocalists from Czech Republic and Slovakia record pop music video duet
- Romafuturismo Library moves to northern Czech town of Most with new name: The Josef Serinek Library