LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT NOON: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
Today, Sunday, 1 August, at 12:00 CET the traditional commemorative ceremony honoring the Romani victims of Nazism will be held at the site of the unmarked burial ground for the victims of the WWII-era concentration camp at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic. ROMEA TV will be broadcasting live.
"Esteemed friends, the members of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust would like to invite you to our traditional commemorative ceremony dedicated to the Romani victims of Nazism. For a second year, thanks to the former administration of Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka, we are able to organize this ceremony, with the support of the Czech Ministry of Culture, in a more dignified setting at the burial site for the members of our families who were prisoners of the concentration camp near near the village of Lety u Písku," reads the invitation that has been sent to news server Romea.cz by the chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust, Čeněk Růžička.
"As we visit this symbolic place of the suffering of the Roma and Sinti, let's tell all the xenophobes, neo-Nazis and racists that hatred of any minority will not find support in our country," the press release says. The ceremony will begin at noon with the Czech national anthem and the hymn of the Romani prisoners of the Nazi concentration camps.
- Traditional commemorative ceremony dedicated to the Romani victims of Nazism will be held on Sunday, 1 August at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Czech local archive publishes digitalized records online of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety
- Czech documentary film LETY will screen online for free on 13 May, followed by live chat with producers
- Annual commemoration of the Holocaust of the Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, is postponed due to the pandemic
- Former Czech MP faces prosecution for his remarks about a "pseudo-concentration camp" for Romani people at Lety
- Europe's biggest WWII resistance action began 80 years ago today: The assassination of Nazi official Reinhard Heydrich
- DNA samples of Romani people taken to ascertain their ethnic origin were handled unethically and the data was misused
- Romani people have faced discrimination and exclusion since Czechoslovakia first became a state
- Czech activists plant memorial lindens and oaks at places of importance in the life of Romani partisan Josef Serinek
- "How I Became a Partisan": Vera Lacková's documentary about Romani partisans screened at Czech film festival
- Czech capital sees gathering of Romani students awarded scholarships by the ROMEA organization
- Czech anti-totalitarianism festival Mene Tekel features exhibit about the architecture competition for the Lety Memorial to the Holocaust
- Czech MP loses re-election and immunity, police reopen case of his calling Lety a "non-existent, pseudo-concentration camp" for Roma
- Grandson of famous Czechoslovak partisan from the Romani community says his grandfather was a hero
- LIVE: "Leperiben: We Do Not Forget" - Prague ceremony honoring Romani victims of the Holocaust will include reading of their names
- At remembrance event, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust says Okamura is one of the Czech politicians agitating against Romani people