LIVE BROADCAST TODAY: Commemorative ceremony at the memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani victims in Hodonín u Kunštátu, Czech Republic
Today, Wednesday, 18 August 2021, a commemorative gathering will be held to honor the memories of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at the Hodonín u Kunštátu Memoral to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in Moravia. The commemoration will begin in the Atrium of the Memorial at 11:00, with mustic performed by Zdeněk Lázok and singing by Pavlína Matiová.
Eminent figures will then give speeches. ROMEA TV will broadcast the ceremony live.
South Moravian Regional Vice-Governor Jan Zámečník and the Mayor of Brno-sever, Martin Maleček, will speak, followed by guests from Poland: Andrzej Kacorzyk, Deputy Director of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum and director of the International Center for Education about Auschwitz and the Holocaust, and Roman Kwiatkowsk, president of the Association of Roma in Poland. Hans-Peter Hinrichsen will also speak on behalf of the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany, as will relatives of those who were imprisoned at Hodonín when the Zigeunerlager was in operation there.
The program will also feature a performance of the composition that won the second annual Karel Holomek and Emília Machálková competition, Stínové oběti (Shadow Victims) by composer Patrik Kako. At 12:30 participants will go to the nearby Žalov Cultural Heritage Memorial at the burial ground where some of those who died at the camp were interred en masse to honor their memories by laying wreaths and lighting candles there.
- Czech Republic finally sees opening of permanent exhibition at the Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in Moravia
- Czech Republic tornado aftermath: How to donate to the communities affected
- Czech ceremony commemorating Romani prisoners sent to Auschwitz on 20 August attended by more than 150 people
- Commemorative ceremony at Hodonín memorial in Czech Republic 20 August honors Romani and Sinti victims of the Holocaust
- Czech website on the Holocaust launches database of victims labeled "cikáni" by the Nazis and their accomplices
- Memorial to Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti opens in Hodonín u Kunštátu, Czech Republic
- Czech Republic's Ethnographic Museum opens an art exhibition of selected works from the Museum of Romani Culture
- PHOTO GALLERY: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic 2022
- Renata Berkyová at Lety u Písku: How is the current Romani society living in the Czech Republic to comprehend the open racism toward Romani refugees from Ukraine?
- President of Czech Senate says Lety commemorations are a call for people to treat minorities fairly
- LIVE BROADCAST SUNDAY: President of the Czech Senate to attend commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Czech town unveils 15 "Stones of the Disappeared" to honor Holocaust victims
- Annual commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, will honor the memory of the Jewish and Romani victims of Nazism on 8 May
- Jana Horváthová: Romani suffering began long before the Second World War
- Director of the Museum of Romani Culture schools Czech senator in debate
- Gunter Demnig marked the Nazi deportation route of thousands of Roma and Sinti from Cologne, Germany, then invented the Stolpersteine
- Netherlands unveils memorial to Holocaust victims with names of 102 000 Jews, Roma and Sinti murdered by the Nazis
- Museum of Romani Culture hosts the Carrets' exhibition of photographs from their visits with friends in Romani communities