Lucie Fuková: There's no excuse for not voting
I still remember the moment I went with my parents to cast a ballot in an election for the very first time - we all got dressed up and left the house together as a family. It was an important day for us.
My parents considered it their duty and were very well aware that it was also their right. I also perceive voting to be a basic part of my life.
Recently I saw a film about the life of Nelson Mandela and it reminded me of how much effort he and his followers had to expend to achieve the right to vote in free elections. What they had to go through defies belief.
That film gave me a lot to think about. I recommend other Romani people watch it and learn about Mandela's life so they can realize they should not treat their right to vote with such a lack of interest.
We all are responsible for making the country we live in the way it is. Do you believe a single vote makes no difference?
That's just an excuse. By voting we are showing the people who could change our living conditions our belief in them, we are empowering them.
Local politics in cities and municipalities is the closest to Romani people's daily lives, and by voting locally we can influence housing conditions, or where children go to school. I always vote on the basis of the maximum amount of information available, I do my best to find the public figures who I know will keep their word and whose behavior and decision-making I am aligned with.
Go vote for your local assemblies! If you don't vote, then don't complain later on that life here is heading in a different direction than you had in mind.
- Ján Bajger: Roma in the Czech Republic don't vote because they underestimate themselves
- Czech Interior Minister says MP is lying about foreign nationals voting
- Czech Supreme Court closes case of vote-buying at Romani housing estate, public interest of secret recording was key
- Czech experts point to association between indebtedness and extremist voting patterns
- EP's committee on social issues to be led by Slovak MEP Ďuriš Nicholsonová, Czech MEP Zdechovský is a vice-chair
- EU anti-fraud authority Hungarian program for Roma supported by EU funds has never worked and should be investigated
- Czech town hall decides local election slogans about "pests" and "poison" were not even misdemeanors
- Romani community member Edita Stejskalová recognized for her political engagement in the Czech Republic
- German police raid homes of online haters in wake of political assassination
- Slovak MEP of Romani origin joins the European People's Party
- Gabriela Hrabaňová: The EP elections will influence our lives
- Czech city backtracks on scope of plan to house homeless, cutting the units to be offered by half
- European Roma Information Office launches social media campaign to increase Roma voter turnout in EP elections
- Czech Government is neutral on introducing public interest prosecutions of discrimination
- Analysis: Czech society remains blind to how the poorest of the poor are (not) housed
- European Parliament holds fourth annual Roma Week, news server Romea.cz to broadcast live from Brussels