Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
Miroslav Kováč, a well-known Romani activist, passed away yesterday at a hospital in Most, Czech Republic, at the age of 48. He was one of those who advocated for removing the industrial pig farm on the site of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety u Písku.
Mr Kováč was a member of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust and worked as a crime prevention assistant with the Romani community for the Litvínov Municipal Police. He was also a longstanding contributor of commentaries to news server Romea.cz and wrote his own blog dedicated to Romani-related issues.
Mr Kováč frequently criticized the lack of Romani unity in the Czech Republic, commented on current events, and gave speeches at various events, regularly attending the annual commemorative ceremonies at Lety u Písku as a speaker. News server Romea.cz expresses our sincere condolences to his family.
- More Romani figures announce their presidential favorites - still definitely not Zeman
- Czech elections 2017: ANO wins big, SocDems down but not out, Pirates score gains as does hatemongering Okamura
- Czech Republic: Survey of Roma finds they do not view refugees as a threat
- Czech Roma Holocaust victims and their relatives file criminal charges against MP
- Alica Heráková: Local elections and the Romani political scene - who will succeed?
- Czech Republic: Equal Opportunities Party files charges against ultra-right party leaders
- Czech Republic: Roma say MP has denied the Romani Holocaust and discredited the victims of Nazism
- Czech Equal Opportunities Party has new chair
- Miroslav Kováč: GRRP is "unduly interfering in the internal affairs" of the Equal Opportunities Party
- Miroslav Kováč: How do we stand up to neo-Nazism - with arms, or with diplomacy?
- Czech Republic: 200 neo-Nazis, same number of counter-protesters march in Ústí nad Labem
- Miroslav Kováč: International Romani Day is a day for Roma to present themselves
- Demolition of the defunct industrial pig farm at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic has begun, memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti is one step closer
- Photos and video from the symbolic demolition of the industrial pig farm on the site of the former concentration camp for Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- LIVE ONLINE 22 JULY: Grand launch of the demolition of the industrial pig farm at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Demolition of industrial pig farm located on the site of former WWII-era concentration camp for Roma to begin so Czech Republic can build new memorial
- PHOTO GALLERY: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic 2022
- Renata Berkyová at Lety u Písku: How is the current Romani society living in the Czech Republic to comprehend the open racism toward Romani refugees from Ukraine?
- President of Czech Senate says Lety commemorations are a call for people to treat minorities fairly
- LIVE BROADCAST SUNDAY: President of the Czech Senate to attend commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Czech ex-lawmaker gets six months, suspended for one year, for his remark about the WWII-era concentration camp for Roma at Lety u Písku
- Annual commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, will honor the memory of the Jewish and Romani victims of Nazism on 8 May
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from man responsible for desecrating memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani victims at Lety
- Olga Fečová, author, foster mother and pedagogical assistant, has passed away in the Czech Republic