Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
Miroslav Kováč, a well-known Romani activist, passed away yesterday at a hospital in Most, Czech Republic, at the age of 48. He was one of those who advocated for removing the industrial pig farm on the site of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety u Písku.
Mr Kováč was a member of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust and worked as a crime prevention assistant with the Romani community for the Litvínov Municipal Police. He was also a longstanding contributor of commentaries to news server Romea.cz and wrote his own blog dedicated to Romani-related issues.
Mr Kováč frequently criticized the lack of Romani unity in the Czech Republic, commented on current events, and gave speeches at various events, regularly attending the annual commemorative ceremonies at Lety u Písku as a speaker. News server Romea.cz expresses our sincere condolences to his family.
- More Romani figures announce their presidential favorites - still definitely not Zeman
- Czech elections 2017: ANO wins big, SocDems down but not out, Pirates score gains as does hatemongering Okamura
- Miroslav Kováč on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: Latent institutional racism, lack of respect for human life
- Miroslav Kováč: Longtime racist politician hands out matches during Czech elections
- At remembrance event, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust says Okamura is one of the Czech politicians agitating against Romani people
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT NOON: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Traditional commemorative ceremony dedicated to the Romani victims of Nazism will be held on Sunday, 1 August at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Czech local archive publishes digitalized records online of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety
- Romani activist Štefan Tišer has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jan Rác will take place tomorrow, Friday, 4 June, in Karviná, Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jiřina Šiklová to be held tomorrow in Prague
- Jan Rác, Romani activist and researcher, has passed away
- Czech Charter 77 signatory and sociologist Jiřina Šiklová has passed away, advocated for Romani equality
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture commemorates Holocaust victims in online ceremony
- Czech documentary film LETY will screen online for free on 13 May, followed by live chat with producers
- Romani activist Rudolf Zajda has passed away in the Czech Republic