Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
Miroslav Kováč, a well-known Romani activist, passed away yesterday at a hospital in Most, Czech Republic, at the age of 48. He was one of those who advocated for removing the industrial pig farm on the site of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety u Písku.
Mr Kováč was a member of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust and worked as a crime prevention assistant with the Romani community for the Litvínov Municipal Police. He was also a longstanding contributor of commentaries to news server Romea.cz and wrote his own blog dedicated to Romani-related issues.
Mr Kováč frequently criticized the lack of Romani unity in the Czech Republic, commented on current events, and gave speeches at various events, regularly attending the annual commemorative ceremonies at Lety u Písku as a speaker. News server Romea.cz expresses our sincere condolences to his family.
- More Romani figures announce their presidential favorites - still definitely not Zeman
- Czech elections 2017: ANO wins big, SocDems down but not out, Pirates score gains as does hatemongering Okamura
- Miroslav Kováč on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: Latent institutional racism, lack of respect for human life
- Miroslav Kováč: Longtime racist politician hands out matches during Czech elections
- American author Paul Polansky has passed away
- Czech hospital refuses to examine young Romani man - by the time doctors agreed to see him, he died
- Marcel Courthiade, linguist who dedicated himself to the emancipation of Roma and their language, has passed away
- Legendary Romani musician Rudolf Bagár has passed away
- Romani singer Věra Gondolánová has passed away
- Edita Stejskalová on resigning as a volunteer civil society member of the Czech Govt Roma Council: We should advise ministers, not lower-level officials
- Romani film festival in Berlin gives special recognition to film about removing pig farm from WWII-era concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Documentary on WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic screening TONIGHT ONLINE
- Rajko Djurić, academic, author and former president of the International Romani Union, has passed away
- Gwendolyn Albert: "I believe the illegally sterilized women will be compensated"
- Czech library to exhibit all designs submitted for the future Lety u Písku Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti
- Czech demolition of pig farm on former WWII-era concentration camp for Roma delayed one year, future new memorial said to be unaffected