Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
Miroslav Kováč, a well-known Romani activist, passed away yesterday at a hospital in Most, Czech Republic, at the age of 48. He was one of those who advocated for removing the industrial pig farm on the site of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety u Písku.
Mr Kováč was a member of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust and worked as a crime prevention assistant with the Romani community for the Litvínov Municipal Police. He was also a longstanding contributor of commentaries to news server Romea.cz and wrote his own blog dedicated to Romani-related issues.
Mr Kováč frequently criticized the lack of Romani unity in the Czech Republic, commented on current events, and gave speeches at various events, regularly attending the annual commemorative ceremonies at Lety u Písku as a speaker. News server Romea.cz expresses our sincere condolences to his family.
- More Romani figures announce their presidential favorites - still definitely not Zeman
- Czech elections 2017: ANO wins big, SocDems down but not out, Pirates score gains as does hatemongering Okamura
- Miroslav Kováč on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: Latent institutional racism, lack of respect for human life
- Miroslav Kováč: Longtime racist politician hands out matches during Czech elections
- Czech Republic: Survey of Roma finds they do not view refugees as a threat
- Czech Roma Holocaust victims and their relatives file criminal charges against MP
- Alica Heráková: Local elections and the Romani political scene - who will succeed?
- Czech Republic: Equal Opportunities Party files charges against ultra-right party leaders
- Czech Republic: Roma say MP has denied the Romani Holocaust and discredited the victims of Nazism
- Documentary film LETY to screen in Czech capital on the occasion of International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Czech Republic's Museum of Romani Culture to educate students at memorial site of former concentration camp at Lety
- Czech Republic: Survivor of the Nazi massacre at Lidice passes away
- Juliana Vodrážková: Josef Bánom has passed away
- Czech Institute for the Study of Totalitarian Regimes honors Romani activist's work to remove pig farm from Holocaust remembrance site
- Romani community member Stanislav Holomek has passed away in Germany
- Ukraine: Romani activist Anzhelika Belova hospitalized after stabbing, assailant arrested
- Romani community member Jozef Facuna has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Documentary film LETY captures the despair and the hopes of those who fought to remove the industrial pig farm from the site of the former concentration camp for Roma
- Czech Republic's Museum of Romani Culture announces competition to design the memorial at the site of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety
- Czech court postpones hearing in case of anti-Romani signs posted at site of former concentration camp to hear explanation of mobile phone data
- ROMEA TV: Irrefutable evidence found that industrial pig farm was built on top of former concentration camp for Roma