Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
Miroslav Kováč, a well-known Romani activist, passed away yesterday at a hospital in Most, Czech Republic, at the age of 48. He was one of those who advocated for removing the industrial pig farm on the site of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety u Písku.
Mr Kováč was a member of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust and worked as a crime prevention assistant with the Romani community for the Litvínov Municipal Police. He was also a longstanding contributor of commentaries to news server Romea.cz and wrote his own blog dedicated to Romani-related issues.
Mr Kováč frequently criticized the lack of Romani unity in the Czech Republic, commented on current events, and gave speeches at various events, regularly attending the annual commemorative ceremonies at Lety u Písku as a speaker. News server Romea.cz expresses our sincere condolences to his family.
- More Romani figures announce their presidential favorites - still definitely not Zeman
- Czech elections 2017: ANO wins big, SocDems down but not out, Pirates score gains as does hatemongering Okamura
- Miroslav Kováč on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: Latent institutional racism, lack of respect for human life
- Miroslav Kováč: Longtime racist politician hands out matches during Czech elections
- Czech Republic: Survey of Roma finds they do not view refugees as a threat
- Czech library to exhibit all designs submitted for the future Lety u Písku Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti
- Czech demolition of pig farm on former WWII-era concentration camp for Roma delayed one year, future new memorial said to be unaffected
- VIDEO: Commemoration at former concentration camp in Czech Republic remembers Romani victims of Auschwitz, Human Rights Commissioner expresses support for a Romani Commissioner
- Czech Government Human Rights Commissioner: I support the creation of a Government Commissioner for Romani Minority Affairs
- LIVE BROADCAST Sunday at noon CET: European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Famous Roma Rights Activist László Bogdán Has Passed Away
- Czech website on the Holocaust launches database of victims labeled "cikáni" by the Nazis and their accomplices
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity to Gwendolyn Albert
- Winning design for new memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech Republic features enormous circle at the site of the former concentration camp
- Here is the winning design for the new memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma and Sinti origin at the former concentration camp in Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST AT 11 AM: Winning design for future memorial at former concentration camp for Roma to be unveiled in Prague
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic