Monika Kokyová on MasterChef: I want to show my ideas
Monika Kokyová of Nosislav is a competitor on the MasterChef Czech Republic program. She is a trained chef who has not yet managed to find a permanent job in gastronomy here because she is of Romani origin.
Kokyová succeeded during the MasterChef casting call, but she had to promise to cook something from her own cuisine in the rounds to come. For the time being she's still in the running and has one successful round behind her; news server Romea.cz conducted the following interview with her.
Q: Why did you apply to the MasterChef contest? What was your motivation?
A: I saw the trailer on TV and applied that evening. I applied out of curiosity. I asked myself: What am I capable of? The motivation was because I frequently think about the fact that I do want to cook, but not just in a factory cafeteria. I want to expand my own horizons when it comes to cooking.
Q: What did your family say when you announced you would be competing?
A: First they wondered what had gotten into me. They asked what made me want to do it from one moment to the next. They believed the people running the competition would not be able to choose me for it. Now they admire me and want me to cook nothing but special dishes, it's making my head spin!
Q: What does cooking mean to you? What about Romani cuisine?
A: Cooking, for me, means the warmth of home, but it also means new flavors and room to learn and improve. If I serve somebody my food, that person must go away satisfied and want to eat it again and again. I love to make the Romani dish pišota. At home I prefer to make a special dish of pasta with shrimp.
Q: What are your aims in the field of gastronomy?
A: My aim is to convey to others what I know how to do in the kitchen, my recipes, flavors and ideas. At the same time I want to continue my education and learn new things. For that reason I'm planning to do cooking courses in Brno.
Q: Has anything surprised you during the competition so far? How much has your participation in MasterChef affected the rest of your life?
A: It surprised me how stressful it is. Until I began competing I didn't know what proper stress is. My life has decidedly improved. Mainly my private life has. My partner appreciates me more now, my children are suddenly helping me at home with the cleaning and cooking. We have discovered how much we need each other and we aren't taking each other for granted. We always really look forward to seeing each other.
- Romani psychology student who is a ROMEA scholarship winner featured on Czech Television
- Czech Television: Successful Romani families aid the community
- Czech Television broadcasts documentary films for International Romani Day, producer reveals his Romani roots
- Czech Republic: Romani-owned business distributes clothing, food and hygiene supplies to the needy in Teplice
- Czech Professional Society for Inclusive Education files complaint against TV Nova over manipulative reporting
- Czech broadcasting board criticizes TV NOVA for promoting anti-hate campaign
- Czech media retract unverified article about Romani quintuplets and organic food
- Czech Republic: Roma respond to accusations of food waste
- Czech regulator finds TV NOVA broadcast false report about murdered Romani man
- Czech Council for Radio and TV Broadcasting: TV NOVA illegally inciting hatred against Romani people
- Czech Republic: TV Nova rejects allegations of anti-Romani campaign, offers "dialogue"
- Analysis: Czech station TV Nova broadcasts untruths again in effort to defame Romani people
- Czech mother complains about "gypsy food" in school cafeteria, TV Nova says parents are "revolting"
- Jarmila Balážová, renowned journalist from the Romani community, joining commercial Czech online news server
- Radek Laci: Children in Czech state institutions crave freedom but have no idea what to do with it
- Czech town sees its first-ever Romani music festival
- Slovakia: Dozens of children from orphanage ending up in psychiatric care - is it a business?
- Czech town hires Romani lifeguards, swimmers respond positively - especially Romanes speakers
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin to compete next week at MMA gala in Prague
- Czech Agriculture Ministry advises hiring Ukrainian labor despite domestic Romani labor offer for bark beetle work
- Czech Govt rejects SocDem proposal to increase welfare system baseline
- Romani entrepreneurs push for unemployed Roma, not foreigners, to be hired for Czech bark beetle eradication
- Czech Labor Inspection discovers highest numbers of discriminatory want ads in four years
- Czech televised discussion features one presidential candidate, two presidential spokespeople - and a ficus
- Czech President shakes his fist during Christmas speech, references "inadaptables", rejects early elections