Museum of Romani Culture director speaking today at Czech Senate and Václav Havel Library, Holocaust Memorial Day also commemorated at Czech Foreign Ministry
The Czech Senate will once again hold its traditional commemorative meeting today on the occasion of the Day of Holocaust Remembrance and Prevention of Crimes against Humanity. In the afternoon, the meeting will be followed by reverential events such as a Czech-Israeli-American commemoration of murdered or persecuted diplomats of Jewish origin at Czernin Palace, where the Czech Foreign Ministry is housed.
The presidents of both parliamentary chambers, Czech Senator Miloš Vystrčil (Civic Democratic Party - ODS) and Markéta Pekarová Adamová (TOP 09) will both speak at the Senate event, as will former Auschwitz prisoner Helga Hošková-Weissová, director of the Museum of Romani Culture Jana Horváthová, and chair of the Foundation for Holocaust Victims, Michal Klíma. The Czech Foreign Minister Jan Lipavský (Pirates), Israeli Minister for Social Equality Mejrav Cohen, Israeli Ambassador to the Czech Republic Anna Azari, and American Chargé d'Affaires in the Czech Republic Jennifer Bachus will take part in the reverential event at the headquarters of the Foreign Affairs Ministry.
The Day of Holocaust Remembrance commemorates 27 January 1945, when the Auschwitz Concentration and Extermination Camp in Nazi-occupied southern Poland was liberated. Between 1940 and 1945, 1.1 million people, mostly Jews, died there.
The prisoners of Auschwitz included 50 000 Czechoslovak citizens, of whom about 6 000 survived. The Nazis murdered six million people of Jewish descent during World War II.
The Nazis also targeted people of Romani ancestry for murder, with the Czech Press Agency reporting the number of such victims as approximately 220 000. However, other estimates put the number at 800 000, or anywhere between one-quarter to one-half of the prewar population of Roma and Sinti in Europe.
- Czech court convicts CEO and publisher of Holocaust denial, fines both, appeals may be filed
- Czech anti-totalitarianism festival Mene Tekel features exhibit about the architecture competition for the Lety Memorial to the Holocaust
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY: Commemorative ceremony at the memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani victims in Hodonín u Kunštátu, Czech Republic
- LIVE: "Leperiben: We Do Not Forget" - Prague ceremony honoring Romani victims of the Holocaust will include reading of their names
- At remembrance event, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust says Okamura is one of the Czech politicians agitating against Romani people
- Prague 8 municipality marking Roma Holocaust Memorial Day by flying Romani flag
- Czech Republic finally sees opening of permanent exhibition at the Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in Moravia
- Czech art competition for works about the Holocaust of the Roma announces winners this week
- František Kostlán: Both the Jews and the Roma were victims of the Holocaust
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture commemorates Holocaust victims in online ceremony
- Annual commemoration of the Holocaust of the Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, is postponed due to the pandemic
- Czech clergyman proposes the readers themselves choose the names of Holocaust victims to be read on Yom Hashoah this year, whether Jewish or Romani
- Prague Forum for Romani Histories: Joint commemoration of the Jewish and Romani victims of the Holocaust should inspire others
- Internet connects Holocaust remembrance sites to commemorate deaths of Theresienstadt "Family Camp" inmates at Auschwitz-Birkenau
- Speaker of the Czech Senate and Romani representative on the importance of Holocaust commemoration for ROMEA TV
- Remembering the Auschwitz Roma Uprising - Roma Resistance Day
- President of Czech Senate says Lety commemorations are a call for people to treat minorities fairly
- Poland: Refugees from Ukraine join March of the Living event at the memorial for the former Nazi death factory at Auschwitz
- Czech town unveils 15 "Stones of the Disappeared" to honor Holocaust victims
- Yom HaShoa: Tomorrow the names of both Jewish and Romani victims of the Holocaust will again be read publicly and together in the Czech Republic
- German court sentences 93-year-old Holocaust denier to a year behind bars, she may appeal
- Michal Mižigár: What myths exist about World Roma Day and what is the reality?
- Romani people worldwide celebrate World Roma Day, 8 April
- British-Irish comedian makes tasteless "joke" about the Holocaust and Roma, sparking outrage
- Black American celebrity apologizes for saying Holocaust was "not about race", but about "two groups of Whites", her talk show suspends her for two weeks
- Czech Foreign Minister says a national strategy to combat antisemitism is in the works and Romani people also face hatred online
- Jana Horváthová: Romani suffering began long before the Second World War