Museum of Romani Culture to present its project for a Center of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech capital
The Museum of Romani Culture is planning a festive introduction of its Center of the Roma and Sinti in Prague on Thursday, 26 March at 11:30. A press conference about the project will be held at Thákurova 1, Praha 6 (Masarykova kolej), just one tram stop from the Dejvická metro station.
Journalists and others interested in the project will be familiarized with its content and schedule at that time. The course of events will be:
11:00 Initiation, performance by Trio Carlos Vlasák (Manouche Gypsy swing).
11:05 Introduction of the project of the Center of the Roma and Sinti in Prague together with the press conference.
11:35 Questions from the media and those present.
12:00 Refreshments, more music from the Trio Carlos Vlasák.
12:30 Guided tour of the headquarters of the future Center of the Roma and Sinti, Velvarská 1, Praha-Dejvice.
The Center will be housed in a protected heritage building. The single-family home in the Dejvice neighborhood of Prague was designed for the textile entrepreneur of Jewish origin Leo František Perutz by the architects Arnošt Mühlstein and Victor Fürth.
The villa at Velvarská 1 was built in 1937 in a romanticized conception with elements of functionalism. In recent years it has not been permanently occupied, but has frequently served as a film set, for example, for the Czech film Ženy v pokušení (Women in Temptation).
Since 2019 the villa has been administered by the Brno-based Museum of Romani Culture, which is currently preparing its comprehensive reconstruction in order to use it as a specialized workplace, the Center of the Roma and Sinti, in Prague. The project is being financed by Norway Grants 2014-2021 from its Human Rights program.
- Director of Museum of Romani Culture addresses Czech Senate on International Holocaust Remembrance Day: We must safeguard our own humanity
- Museum of Romani Culture to open Roma and Sinti Center in the Czech capital four years from now
- US Holocaust Museum offers unique opportunity in Prague to relatives of those persecuted on Protectorate territory
- German investors into sausage museum want to move it to a former concentration camp site
- Documentary by Museum of Romani Culture wins award for best Czech film at international festival
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture announces photography competition
- VIDEO: Museum of Romani Culture Award given to Romani activist David Tišer
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture still waiting for funds for demolition of pig farm on genocide site
- Museum of the Romani National Revival to open with "A Century of Roma in Czechoslovakia" exhibit
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture and ROMEA to hold public discussion on the future form of Romani genocide memorial
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture to sign cooperation agreement with European Grassroots Antiracist Movement tomorrow
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture officially takes charge of memorial at Romani genocide site in Hodonín u Kunštátu
- Czech Republic: ROMEA plans public debates about future of Roma genocide site once Museum of Romani Culture takes over
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture says contract to buy pig farm on genocide site will be signed after elections
- Objects from Auschwitz Museum featured in international travelling exhibition to warn against growing racism
- Tomáš Ščuka: Czech ombudsman's opinions just confirm his incompetence
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says he is against "special treatment" for Romani people
- Czech police use dehumanizing terms if incidents involve Romani people, the media parrot them - and then pogroms begin
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Cyril Koky: I want to serve in the Czech Senate
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Slovak Police refute disinformation alleging that rampaging murderer at school was Romani
- French police brutally beat 14-year-old Romani boy during arrest, his family plan to sue
- Chair of the Pirate Party in the Czech Republic stands up for Romani activist assaulted by hateful attackers
- Slovakia: Two non-Romani assailants who invaded Romani home to personally deliver death threats given suspended sentences