New head of Czech Romany agency sought
Newly appointed Human Rights and Minorities Minister Michael Kocab (Greens) is looking for a new director of the government agency for social integration in Romany localities, Kocab told journalists today.
Its previous director Marek Podlaha was dismissed last week by Kocab's predecessor Dzamila Stehlikova (Greens) shortly before she left the post.
"We'd like to resolve the situation in the office very fast," said Kocab who declined to give any reasons for Podlaha's dismissal.
The government agency for social integration in Romany localities started to work in 12 towns and villages last spring.
This year, it widened the project to include Janov, a neighbourhood in the North Bohemian town of Litvinov in which extremists clashed with local Romanies whose behaviour is resented by some majority residents.
Some Romany activists are of the view that the agency has absolutely failed in its objectives.
Stehlikova said the results of its work would be seen only after two years.
By that time, the towns and villages involved will have received hundreds of million crowns from the EU, Stehlikova said.
This year, the agency wants to finance "soft social techniques" in order to motivate Romanies to increase their skills and to search for work as well as to support the education of their children.
- Czech Republic: Media blow yet another incident of interethnic violence out of proportion
- Analysis: How to produce hate, or, Roma, the Czech floods, and the YMCA
- Czech Govt to take up bill to establish central misdemeanor registry
- Czech President: Behind the slogan "Bohemia for the Czechs" I hear the Nazi cry of "Juden raus"!
- Czech town's security survey attests long-held stereotypical attitides of mistrust toward Roma
- Czech Republic: Demonstration against intolerance in Teplice draws less than 100 people
- Commentary: When ignorance of the law produces racism
- Patrik Banga resigns from Czech Govt Inter-ministerial Commission on Roma Community Affairs
- Czech Republic: Roma quintuplets get arson threats, their supporter gets hacked
- Roma entrepreneur offers village free aid after Czech floods, is refused
- Czech organizer of anti-Roma demonstrations doesn't recall expressing a desire for mass murder
- Commentary: Let's distance ourselves from Roma who give us a bad reputation
Tags:Czech republic, agency
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.