NGOs meet with Czech EdMin about the state hiring Roma and support for Romani students
Deputy Education Minister Václav Pícl met with representatives of a National Working Group of 11 Romani nonprofit organizations from all over the Czech Republic on 3 October in his office at the ministry. "The aim of the meeting is to establish a constructive collaboration between established Romani nonprofit organizations and the Education Ministry. The coalition works with as many as 8 000 Romani people around the country and can be a bridge between the Romani community and the state administration," said Jelena Silajdžić, director of the Slovo 21 organization.
During the hour-long discussion the specific aims and the fulfillment of the Czech Government's Romani Integration Strategy were touched on, as was the insufficient representation of Romani people in advisory positions within the executive branch, the legislature and the state administration, as well as the planned changes to pre-school education next year and scholarship programs for Romani students. The ministry representative was invited to visit the IQ Roma Service organization in Brno to see examples of good practice in the area of preschool education and activation of Romani parents.
The nonprofits will continue their discussions with the Education Ministry at their next meeting in December. Representatives of IQ Roma Service, Jekhetane, OSF Praha, ROMEA and Slovo 21 attended the meeting.
- Czech nonprofits say government ignores discrimination of Roma pupils
- Ivana Řápková responds to the open letter from nonprofit organizations
- Open letter by nonprofit organizations regarding the neo-Nazi attack on the demonstration in Chomutov
- LIVE AT 16:00 CET: Pope Francis meets Romani people at Košice's Luník IX housing estate in Slovakia
- Czech Republic plans billions for "nonprofits", but half will go to sports - targeted Romani projects will receive exponentially less money
- Czech organizations insist the lower house and Prime Minister reject the anti-Romani remarks of the ombudsman
- Romani community members debate the Czech Govt Strategy on Roma for 2021-2030
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner expects new Roma strategy to be adopted by the end of January
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats sink to the level of ultra-nationalists with proposal to cut funding to NGOs working with minorities
- Slovak project where Roma build their own homes seems more feasible in village setting, for now
- Emil Voráč: In the Czech Republic, nonprofits able to integrate Roma are often blocked from financing
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities
- Central European University offers stipend to Romani students for online summer school, deadline 13 May
- Czech foundation introduces new online platform for tutoring services
- Adriana Kotlárová, educator at school with many Romani pupils: Families have no Internet access, personal contact unavoidable even during COVID-19