Nikola Taragoš on NGO response to COVID-19 in the Czech Republic: We're trying to prevent things from getting worse
The next guest in our series of interviews with figures actively involved in aiding others during this state of emergency in the Czech Republic is Nikola Taragoš, the program director of the Romodrom organization. Romodrom offers educational and social services to people at risk of social exclusion in nine regions throughout the country.
"We are continuing to work despite the state of emergency. We provide our services in nine regions of the Czech Republic. We are concentrating on acquiring and distributing protective gear and basic groceries to our clients, which means especially in socially excluded localities," Taragoš said in an interview for ROMEA TV.
During the state of emergency the organization is doing its best to aid its clients with addressing their financial situations or communicating with authorities in order to prevent a further deterioration of the situations in these families. They are also beginning to arrange for Internet connections into excluded localities so they can be in communication with their clients and make online education accessible to their children.
"In the area of communications we have discovered big barriers, and for that reason we are setting up communications capabilities, whether that is by facilitating Internet connections in the excluded localities, installing routers, or providing people data cards. We are also focusing on humanitarian aid in excluded localities, which means grocery deliveries. We are also working on making the system of support for our clients more effective when it comes to children's education and how they spend their recreational time at home. We are doing our best to do all of this while we keep an eye on people's safety, wearing protective gear, and if possible, communicating in a way that does not require personal contact," he explained in the interview.
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion director gives interview about state support during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani residents of Czech town organize collection for child welfare NGO to fight COVID-19, dozens pitch in
- Romani doctor urges community in the Czech Republic to prevent COVID-19 from spreading
- Romani entrepreneurs bring gifts to hospital staff in Czech town during COVID-19
- Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Czech Republic: Two Romani women sew 1000+ face masks for the indigent and seniors
- Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
- Romani people in the Czech Republic complain to retailers of security guards stalking them when they shop
- Lucie Lucassen, Romani community member in the Czech Republic, plans to adopt a Romani orphan - like she once was herself
- "Gypsy King" boxer Tyson Fury tells GQ he once gave his Louboutins to a homeless man in LA, but his giving doesn't stop there
- Best of the Romani musicians program BAŠAVEL in 2020, broadcast online by Czech NGO ROMEA
- During Czech COVID-19 pandemic, NGO distributes more than 80 laptops to Romani students for distance learning
- Once persecuted, the Salesians have run programs unlike any others for Romani children for 30 years in third-largest Czech city
- Romani community members debate the Czech Govt Strategy on Roma for 2021-2030
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- EU Commissioner for Values: EU money is meant to help the Roma too, data collection is important so we aren't flying blind
- Despite COVID-19 state of emergency, landlord summarily evicts five Romani families in Czech town
- More than one Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic wins events in the WAKO K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX 2020
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19