Nikola Taragoš on NGO response to COVID-19 in the Czech Republic: We're trying to prevent things from getting worse
The next guest in our series of interviews with figures actively involved in aiding others during this state of emergency in the Czech Republic is Nikola Taragoš, the program director of the Romodrom organization. Romodrom offers educational and social services to people at risk of social exclusion in nine regions throughout the country.
"We are continuing to work despite the state of emergency. We provide our services in nine regions of the Czech Republic. We are concentrating on acquiring and distributing protective gear and basic groceries to our clients, which means especially in socially excluded localities," Taragoš said in an interview for ROMEA TV.
During the state of emergency the organization is doing its best to aid its clients with addressing their financial situations or communicating with authorities in order to prevent a further deterioration of the situations in these families. They are also beginning to arrange for Internet connections into excluded localities so they can be in communication with their clients and make online education accessible to their children.
"In the area of communications we have discovered big barriers, and for that reason we are setting up communications capabilities, whether that is by facilitating Internet connections in the excluded localities, installing routers, or providing people data cards. We are also focusing on humanitarian aid in excluded localities, which means grocery deliveries. We are also working on making the system of support for our clients more effective when it comes to children's education and how they spend their recreational time at home. We are doing our best to do all of this while we keep an eye on people's safety, wearing protective gear, and if possible, communicating in a way that does not require personal contact," he explained in the interview.
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion director gives interview about state support during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani residents of Czech town organize collection for child welfare NGO to fight COVID-19, dozens pitch in
- Romani doctor urges community in the Czech Republic to prevent COVID-19 from spreading
- Romani entrepreneurs bring gifts to hospital staff in Czech town during COVID-19
- Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Czech Republic: Two Romani women sew 1000+ face masks for the indigent and seniors
- Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
- Czech regional elections: Ninth-place Romani candidate says housing and lack of representation are the community's biggest problems
- Pirate Party candidate for Governor of a Czech region from the Romani community says social exclusion has been ignored for 30 years
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Czech local zones to cancel housing benefits create more poverty, the biggest one is Ústí nad Labem
- Austrian SozialMarie award goes to Slovak project Dom.ov aiding Romani families with building housing
- Željko Jovanović: Roma Resistance Day as a Moral Compass
- Central European University offers stipend to Romani students for online summer school, deadline 13 May
- Commentary: CNN Prima begins its Czech-language broadcasting with stereotypes about Romani people
- Emil Voráč: Czech Govt COVID-19 measures have not stopped our work, but the poorest are being forgotten
- Romanian chief of local police filmed beating handcuffed Romani men as they lie on the ground
- Milan Kotlár: Our Romani restaurant in Český Krumlov is closed, Czech state support will not rescue us
- Talented Romani pianist performs from his balcony in Czech town to thank medical workers