Parents of children who caused the death of a Czech zoo's flamingo have performed their agreed voluntary labor there
News server iDNES.cz reports that the children who snuck into a zoo in Jihlava, Czech Republic on 10 March and caused the death of a flamingo there have now performed their agreed-to voluntary labor at the zoo together with their parents. The family was asked to pay compensation of CZK 50 000 [EUR 1 860] for the loss of the flamingo, which the children attacked by throwing rocks at it.
The parents have apologized for their children's actions and promised to pay the compensation, as well as promising to aid the zoo through volunteer labor. They have stuck to their agreement and assisted there with cleanup work.
Now that winter is over, the children and their parents helped clear the access paths to the zoo. "They've been here once, they aided us by sweeping the access paths... We were not agreed to a fixed time, we didn't want them dropping by when there was nothing much to do. The agreement was that when we needed assistance, we would call them and they would come. They actually did that," Martin Maláč, spokesperson for the zoo, told iDNES.cz.
The entire damages have not yet been paid. The zoo is leaving the timing of the compensation up to the parents, who will have to save up in order to be able to pay.
The zoo also praised the parents' intention to bring the children wiith them to the zoo for the voluntary labor, which zoo staffers said they believed would be educational. A big wave of negativity in response to news of the bird's death flooded the Czech media, in part because it was reported that the children involved are Romani.
A local march was even planned in support of the zoo. However, out of concern that it might lead to racist unrest, it was ultimately not held.
- Czech Republic: Parents of children who killed flamingo have apologized and will pay damages
- Jana Šedivcová: Are all Czech children cat killers and all Romani children flamingo killers? Collective blame is unacceptable
- Children stone flamingo to death in zoo, Czech Internet users blame all Roma, protest march scheduled
- Romani Union of Slovakia: Police brutality against children must be investigated by independent commission, the ministry could be biased
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities says she belives police brutality incident will be properly investigated, officer has been transferred
- Romani doctor in the Czech Republic: This work is enormously meaningful during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani residents of Czech town organize collection for child welfare NGO to fight COVID-19, dozens pitch in
- Author raising a Romani child says Czech Public Defender of Rights is racist and evil is slowly winning
- Hungarian PM announces "national consultation" about whether to compensate Romani families whose children were educated in segregated settings
- Czech teachers disagree with proposal to deprive parents of children with high absenteeism of their social benefits
- Slovak court compensates illegally sterilized Romani woman after 15 years
- European Court of Human Rights finds Slovak authorities did not properly investigate police brutality against Romani boy
- Romani children in the Czech Republic still frequently assessed as mentally disabled and educated separately
- For a third time, Slovak court acquits police of brutalizing Romani children a decade ago, prosecutor appealing
- Czech Govt Roma Council recommends analyzing interwar assets of Roma and Sinti confiscated during the war, a still-unresolved matter