Parents of children who caused the death of a Czech zoo's flamingo have performed their agreed voluntary labor there
News server iDNES.cz reports that the children who snuck into a zoo in Jihlava, Czech Republic on 10 March and caused the death of a flamingo there have now performed their agreed-to voluntary labor at the zoo together with their parents. The family was asked to pay compensation of CZK 50 000 [EUR 1 860] for the loss of the flamingo, which the children attacked by throwing rocks at it.
The parents have apologized for their children's actions and promised to pay the compensation, as well as promising to aid the zoo through volunteer labor. They have stuck to their agreement and assisted there with cleanup work.
Now that winter is over, the children and their parents helped clear the access paths to the zoo. "They've been here once, they aided us by sweeping the access paths... We were not agreed to a fixed time, we didn't want them dropping by when there was nothing much to do. The agreement was that when we needed assistance, we would call them and they would come. They actually did that," Martin Maláč, spokesperson for the zoo, told iDNES.cz.
The entire damages have not yet been paid. The zoo is leaving the timing of the compensation up to the parents, who will have to save up in order to be able to pay.
The zoo also praised the parents' intention to bring the children wiith them to the zoo for the voluntary labor, which zoo staffers said they believed would be educational. A big wave of negativity in response to news of the bird's death flooded the Czech media, in part because it was reported that the children involved are Romani.
A local march was even planned in support of the zoo. However, out of concern that it might lead to racist unrest, it was ultimately not held.
- Czech Republic: Parents of children who killed flamingo have apologized and will pay damages
- Jana Šedivcová: Are all Czech children cat killers and all Romani children flamingo killers? Collective blame is unacceptable
- Children stone flamingo to death in zoo, Czech Internet users blame all Roma, protest march scheduled
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Czech PM meets with forced sterilization victims and their representatives about compensation
- Czech expenditure on aid to those in material distress lowest for the last six years
- German court says immigrant Romani pupil incorrectly assigned to "special school" deserves compensation
- First-graders from Czech school subjected to racist attacks online receive tablets thanks to ROMEA's fundraising drive
- Czech region where evictions are underway keeps rejecting plans to subsidize lunches for impoverished schoolchildren
- Czech trial of shooting at Romani music camp hears testimony about shooter's verbal abuse as well
- Slovakia: Two Romani children shot in Poprad, perpetrator not yet identified
- Slovak appeals court says video of police abuse of Romani children must be admitted into evidence
- Slovakia: Meet the Romani teacher who refused to grade racist essays
- Professor Iulius Rostas about school segregation: "Bad not only for Roma children, but for the whole society"
- Romani children from choir whose summer camp was shot at write to Czech PM, Police, seeking apology
Tags:Děti, Jihlava, odškodnění, Práce
videoRacists and populists will not stop us! ROMEA launches crowdfunding campaign to support news server Romea.cz11.9.2018 7:54
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.