Parents of children who caused the death of a Czech zoo's flamingo have performed their agreed voluntary labor there
News server iDNES.cz reports that the children who snuck into a zoo in Jihlava, Czech Republic on 10 March and caused the death of a flamingo there have now performed their agreed-to voluntary labor at the zoo together with their parents. The family was asked to pay compensation of CZK 50 000 [EUR 1 860] for the loss of the flamingo, which the children attacked by throwing rocks at it.
The parents have apologized for their children's actions and promised to pay the compensation, as well as promising to aid the zoo through volunteer labor. They have stuck to their agreement and assisted there with cleanup work.
Now that winter is over, the children and their parents helped clear the access paths to the zoo. "They've been here once, they aided us by sweeping the access paths... We were not agreed to a fixed time, we didn't want them dropping by when there was nothing much to do. The agreement was that when we needed assistance, we would call them and they would come. They actually did that," Martin Maláč, spokesperson for the zoo, told iDNES.cz.
The entire damages have not yet been paid. The zoo is leaving the timing of the compensation up to the parents, who will have to save up in order to be able to pay.
The zoo also praised the parents' intention to bring the children wiith them to the zoo for the voluntary labor, which zoo staffers said they believed would be educational. A big wave of negativity in response to news of the bird's death flooded the Czech media, in part because it was reported that the children involved are Romani.
A local march was even planned in support of the zoo. However, out of concern that it might lead to racist unrest, it was ultimately not held.
- Czech Republic: Parents of children who killed flamingo have apologized and will pay damages
- Jana Šedivcová: Are all Czech children cat killers and all Romani children flamingo killers? Collective blame is unacceptable
- Children stone flamingo to death in zoo, Czech Internet users blame all Roma, protest march scheduled
- Czech appeals court upholds sentences against married non-Romani couple who assaulted Romani children, compensation for mental anguish still has to be sued for separately
- Czech court to hear appeal in case of brutal assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children in Lipník nad Bečvou
- Czech Bar Association reprimands attorney for approving of "joke" calling for the gassing of non-white first-graders, he appeals
- Romanian town must finally compensate some members of a forcibly evicted Romani community
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights discusses compensation procedure for forced sterilizations in interview for ROMEA TV
- Czech MPs abolish infant institutions and raise remuneration for foster parents, bill now heads to Senate
- Czech President signs law to compensate the victims of illegal sterilizations
- Czech Senate approves compensation for the victims of illegal sterilizations
- Human Rights Commissioner of the Council of Europe calls on the Czech Senate to approve compensation for illegal sterilizations, final vote tomorrow
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Ministry reports that 53 % of under-threes in infant facilities are Romani
- Czech Senate committee recommends compensation for the illegally sterilized, final word will rest with the Senate as a whole
- Ladislav Samek: It is hard to get rid of the label of "institutionalized child" in Czech society