Parents of children who caused the death of a Czech zoo's flamingo have performed their agreed voluntary labor there
News server iDNES.cz reports that the children who snuck into a zoo in Jihlava, Czech Republic on 10 March and caused the death of a flamingo there have now performed their agreed-to voluntary labor at the zoo together with their parents. The family was asked to pay compensation of CZK 50 000 [EUR 1 860] for the loss of the flamingo, which the children attacked by throwing rocks at it.
The parents have apologized for their children's actions and promised to pay the compensation, as well as promising to aid the zoo through volunteer labor. They have stuck to their agreement and assisted there with cleanup work.
Now that winter is over, the children and their parents helped clear the access paths to the zoo. "They've been here once, they aided us by sweeping the access paths... We were not agreed to a fixed time, we didn't want them dropping by when there was nothing much to do. The agreement was that when we needed assistance, we would call them and they would come. They actually did that," Martin Maláč, spokesperson for the zoo, told iDNES.cz.
The entire damages have not yet been paid. The zoo is leaving the timing of the compensation up to the parents, who will have to save up in order to be able to pay.
The zoo also praised the parents' intention to bring the children wiith them to the zoo for the voluntary labor, which zoo staffers said they believed would be educational. A big wave of negativity in response to news of the bird's death flooded the Czech media, in part because it was reported that the children involved are Romani.
A local march was even planned in support of the zoo. However, out of concern that it might lead to racist unrest, it was ultimately not held.
- Czech Republic: Parents of children who killed flamingo have apologized and will pay damages
- Jana Šedivcová: Are all Czech children cat killers and all Romani children flamingo killers? Collective blame is unacceptable
- Children stone flamingo to death in zoo, Czech Internet users blame all Roma, protest march scheduled
- Czech MPs draft bill to compensate women who have been forcibly sterilized
- Romani educator at school serving infamous Czech housing estate wouldn't want to work anywhere else
- Czech Police say man and woman who committed racist attack against Romani children should be prosecuted
- Slovak Constitutional Court awards compensation to Roma for 13-year court case - but the discrimination sued over still has no final ruling
- Czech state may finally compensate forced sterilization victims
- Elena Gorolová: Some of the forced sterilization victims have died, but we are still fighting for compensation
- Czech film festival visited by seven Romani children from Slovak settlements to promote "Silent Days"
- Slovak church bungles inclusion of Romani newcomer into First Communion ceremony, charges of racial discrimination being investigated
- Czech Agriculture Ministry advises hiring Ukrainian labor despite domestic Romani labor offer for bark beetle work
- Czech gunman who fired warning shots over Romani children at summer camp has his sentence reduced to a fine
- Indebted minors could enjoy easier conditions for relief if Czech amendment passes
- Commentary: Czech Republic, Slovakia must compensate the victims of forced sterilization while they are still alive